ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Night Vision trail camera for flyers #4761122
11/25/14 12:43 AM
11/25/14 12:43 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline OP
trapper
Coondog6  Offline OP
trapper

New Hampshire
Hello All,

Finding flyer jobs or they are finding me. I want to purchase a good trail camera that I can set up on the home to determine where the flyers are entering the home. If possible I would like to also use this trail camera for future bat jobs.

The trail camera I am now using they (flyers) are just showing up as a white flash.

Thanks

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Night Vision trail camera for flyers [Re: Coondog6] #4761287
11/25/14 08:25 AM
11/25/14 08:25 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Your camera is possibly to close ...then you have detection issues if you move it to far....www.chasinggame.com has a lot of camera reviews..

Joe Robidoux
Re: Night Vision trail camera for flyers [Re: Coondog6] #4761443
11/25/14 10:54 AM
11/25/14 10:54 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Chuck,

I've yet to find a camera that will work with bats. The problem is not only do you need motion, but also a certain amount of heat to trigger then sensor to trigger the camera. Then, based on the camera you can have anything from a 1/5" second (Reconyx) to 1.3 seconds (Covert) before the picture is even taken. You also need to decide if you want the thumbnail image sent to your phone (cellular cameras only) or if it is fine to let the camera sit and then review the memory card. Next, decide if you need picture only, picture/video, or picture/video & audio. Lastly, you need to decide if you want white flash, infra-red, or black infra/LED use for taking images in low light situations.

After you've decided on what will be helpful, then you can start shopping for cameras that fit those criteria. Without a doubt, the best cameras are made by Reconyx, but they also come with the highest price tags. On the cheaper side of the scale will be the white flash cameras and then the entry level IR with picture mode only. It may be that you already have the best camera for how you want to use it. (Note: the latest issue of WCT Magazine has an article on the cellular trail cameras.)

Once you've got your camera(s), make sure you are familiar with flash distance, trigger speed, and trigger sensor locations. For watching flyers in an attic, it may be more helpful to do 30-60 second videos. As swampdonkey stated, the whiteness is most likely caused by the camera using too much fill light so either move the camera back or see if you can adjust it. If you're seeing the white flashes and the camera is located outside of the structure, you may be picking up moths or leaves (this is where video mode is very helpful) instead of the flyers. Over all, I'd recommend using video mode if you have it along with positioning the camera further away from the potential entrance and maybe even turning it so that the potential entrance isn't a straight 90 degrees to the lens.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread