ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades #4139247
11/27/13 12:14 PM
11/27/13 12:14 PM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Does anyone know if flying squirrels can survive this time of year trapped in the attic without water? Can they get enough water from berries or any other food they may have stored? I am the homeowner and here is a brief history:

Two local ADC companies have been employed during the last two years and only one southern flying squirrel has been caught. Once the main hole was sealed up, no one has ever been able to identify another entry hole. The first ADC company never went into the attic at all and the second company placed traps on top of 2 feet of blown fiberglass insulation. Both companies admitted before they started that they didn't have much experience with flying squirrels.

Recently the entire house has been sealed up including a new ridge vent. Sadly the Cobra ridge vent did not have hardware cloth installed under it. My carpenter was confident that it wouldn't need it although he has never been involved with flyers. He did however install the shingles very low and tight but even as good a carpenter as he is, I don't think he realizes what we are up against.

I just ordered some stuff to try trapping them in the attic myself. Any advice or information would be appreciated. I am located in central Ohio.

Last edited by FlyersInOhio; 12/03/13 04:58 PM.
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139271
11/27/13 12:28 PM
11/27/13 12:28 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
No, they can not survive without water BUT their water needs are low and there is usually more than enough condensation somewhere in most attics to provide sustenance.

Simple fact, if you still have fliers your house is not sealed!

I could post all I know about fliers but it would be easier if you would just give me a call @ 6785728269 as there is alot of ground to cover on dealing with fliers.

[Linked Image]
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139299
11/27/13 12:43 PM
11/27/13 12:43 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
BTW, I'm in Georgia so I ain't trying to sell you anything. Just hacks me to see someone have to deal with still having issues after paying others to solve it. It may be giving away the store but in your case you need the help and it will be freely given.

[Linked Image]
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139764
11/27/13 05:08 PM
11/27/13 05:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
David, I'm happy that you are taking that viewpoint, but what went on in Ohio could just as well have been our company in Wisconsin a decade or more ago. I had never seen a flyer in my life and I would love to tell everyone that it was my great attention to detail and my intense study of the subject that got the job done, but that would be a lie.

Just like every other unfamiliar species that we've had to tackle, I had Someone watching over me. I had no idea what I was doing but I had great customers that kept me informed and we basically learned together. We had one customer who had more than fifty flyers over the years and every time we thought we had them closed out, we were wrong. They haven't had flyers for years but they are still one of our most faithful and regular pest control customers.

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139824
11/27/13 05:33 PM
11/27/13 05:33 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Yes, Paul, but if you had taken on the job you would've done whatever it took to know all about fliers before that job was done.

[Linked Image]
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139835
11/27/13 05:39 PM
11/27/13 05:39 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You got me David! I actually grew quite fond of those goofy looking rodents. I have a rehabber with a license that will take every flyer I give her. ( And I'm sure she will spread them all over the place, which will eventually allow more business for us )

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4139850
11/27/13 05:48 PM
11/27/13 05:48 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Post some pictures of your house. All 4 sides would be good. cool

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: Paul Antczak] #4139932
11/27/13 06:32 PM
11/27/13 06:32 PM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
I'll try to get those pictures tomorrow or Friday.

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4140721
11/28/13 12:27 AM
11/28/13 12:27 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Flyers., animals up to grey squirrel size will be supported by the loft of blown-in insulation, but anything mouse-size or larger will make troughs in the stuff relative to its body width.
Setting traps on the attic trails can be very effective.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: Dave Schmidt] #4140920
11/28/13 06:22 AM
11/28/13 06:22 AM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Dave, Nate used a nutty fruity lure and placed it on two snap traps and in two small live traps but the flyers never touched them after months and months up there. Nate suspects that they now fear human scent after one of them died overnight in a live trap set on the roof by the 1st ADC company.

Last edited by FlyersInOhio; 12/03/13 05:00 PM.
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4140952
11/28/13 07:45 AM
11/28/13 07:45 AM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
I doubt that they fear human scent. I have had them to be cage shy

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4140970
11/28/13 08:05 AM
11/28/13 08:05 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Flyers, I had a customer prefer I cage trapped flyers out of their attic ...took out 63 with the same traps (using 11 cages) one after another..same human scent on cages...same flyers watching me set up.

On another occasion I was kinda in your fix..flyer everywhere and nothing touching a single trap ... I sealed up everyhole they could exit the dwelling ..set gang set with Rat traps....I mean a lot of traps .... I had heard a long time ago that flyers panic when they can't get outside and therefore the only way they calm down is to eat (bait on traps)..I nailed every flyer in that house like they were going out of style...What Gives ?

Joe Robidoux
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4141171
11/28/13 10:44 AM
11/28/13 10:44 AM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Short of the questionable new ridge vent, I only have two more roof flashings that need to be sealed. Unfortunately I can't safely get up there by myself and will need to pay someone to do it. My carpenter doesn't believe that the top end of these flashings are possible entry points, but he is the same guy that didn't install hardware cloth under the ridge vent. All of the other flashings have been sealed at both top and bottom ends.
Joe and Paul, this is really good info regarding the trapping. I plan on using some snap traps soon with some Jameson flying squirrel lure and some black oil sunflower seeds. I was also planning on trying some Golden Malrin in Pepsi but will wait and see how the snap traps work first. In fact after hearing numbers like 63, I may wait quite a while before resorting to the Pepsi.

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4141254
11/28/13 11:41 AM
11/28/13 11:41 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
My first question is why do you think you still have flyers? Is it noises you are hearing or are you actually seeing them? I've had easy flying squirrel jobs here in Ohio along with several very difficult ones. About the only thing they've had in common is that each one was unique to itself.

One of the most unique jobs involved only two flyers. It took me almost three months before I finally removed them as they were not using the house every single day. In fact, they only used the house when the weather allowed an opening to happen on a dormer corner. When temperatures were above 50 degrees, the materials expanded enough to keep them out/in but when daytime temperatures dropped to 35 degrees, a very small opening occurred when you lifted up on a shingle that they could exploit. I had different styles of traps placed at multiple locations on the house and had checked that specific corner at least 6 different times before I finally installed a one way trap out of frustration to prove that nothing was there and caught the culprits.

On another job I removed 47 fliers from a house that to this day I can't say why they even had them in the first place. Do not use any type of poison for anything that it is not registered for and there are no poison's authorized in Ohio for flying squirrels that I'm aware of.

If you plan on using snap traps (which is now legal in Ohio) make sure they are rat size and have the small metal trigger, not the big plastic one. Tie a salted peanut still in its shell to the trigger with a zip tie or bread tie and then put some creamy peanut butter on it. If you don't have a good spot to place the trap, use a 2 x 4 to span the trusses and screw the rat taps to it. Not only does this give you a place to put the traps, but it makes it very easy to maintain.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4141370
11/28/13 12:33 PM
11/28/13 12:33 PM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Before the old rotted deck was removed and porous bandboard replaced a couple of years ago, I had red squirrels, mice and flying squirrels. It was impossible to tell which animal was making which noise. But I am very confident that the red squirrels and mice have been gone ever since the ground level entry points were resolved. There is one particular noise that tells me I still have flying squirrels.That noise is a loud distinct picking up of electrical wiring and dropping of those wires onto the ceiling right above me. They have burrows right on top of the ceiling drywall under 2 feet of blown insulation. I believe that the burrows run along the path of the electrical wires. Many times I will hear about 4 distinct "wire slaps" right in a row as they move along the wire in their burrows.
Now the frequency of these "wire slaps" is way way down since the house was sealed up but there is still evidence of at least one living flying squirrel in the attic. Last winter, the only day that I heard any wire slapping was one day that got up to 60 degrees F. So I do believe they enter a state of inactivity during winter as I have read.
Eric, thanks for the trapping advice as I'm sure I'll need everything I can get.

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4142221
11/28/13 08:58 PM
11/28/13 08:58 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Don't use poison...could get to smelling...put a trail cam or 2 up there pointed at a bait pile ...(clear out at spot in the insulation for one and put the other on top)... of black oil sunflower seeds and some lure for a few days...see what you see how about droppings of any kind...relevant or no ?

Joe Robidoux
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4142286
11/28/13 09:21 PM
11/28/13 09:21 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Trail camera; good idea-

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4143267
11/29/13 11:29 AM
11/29/13 11:29 AM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Swampdonkey, The insulators built a baffle or whatever it's called around the attic entry hole and I can't get up there anymore at my age and agility level.
But I am going to incorporate some of your ideas starting today. Since I can get my torso up in there I am going to build some shelves coming out of the roof rafters. On these shelves I will place Victor rat traps and one professional snap trap after it arrives from WCS. The bait will include the items you recommended as well as the unshelled peanut/peanut butter Eric likes to use on different traps. And I do have high quality trail camera too. I'll keep everybody posted. Thanks.
And Paul, I'm having trouble getting the house pictures to come from my gallery on my Android tablet as an inline download to this website.

Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4143709
11/29/13 05:25 PM
11/29/13 05:25 PM
Ohio
F
FlyersInOhio Offline OP
trapper
FlyersInOhio  Offline OP
trapper
F

Ohio
Shelves installed in the attic, 3 snap traps set and I plan to have someone seal up the top ends of two dormers which have yet to be plugged. Need to wait until the ice and snow melts first. And the trail camera is on. I won't even go up there for a week so I don't disturb their environment.

Last edited by FlyersInOhio; 11/29/13 05:26 PM.
Re: Flying Squirrels Living in Attic for Decades [Re: FlyersInOhio] #4144062
11/29/13 08:23 PM
11/29/13 08:23 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Doug thanks for emailing me the pictures of your house. Try to post them this is a great house to look at and discuss. Lots of roof changes. Some new guys will learn something from this post. Like me laugh I'm always learning!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread