Trap Preparation Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#394823 - 11/02/07 01:47 PM RUST - Removing Heavy rust on traps
MI Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: West Michigan
Anyone got any tips on removing the rust from traps? I saw the other posting on here about soaking in water & vinegar. Is this what I want to do? How long do you soak them? Right now the traps are real "stiff". I looks as they will be fine though if I can remove a coat of the rust. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#394941 - 11/02/07 03:14 PM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: MI Trapper]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Loc: Northwestern New York(Elder)
The vinegar method for rust removal from traps is simple, safe, efficient, cheap and not time consuming. There are other options used that I am not very familiar with. Look in the archives for additional information. I have only used vinegar to remove trap rust.

Here is a before and after example where used on an older, very rusty coil spring. The trap was soaked in a 3:1 solution of white vinegar to water for 3-4 days. It does not matter if the vinegar is white or brown. They both are about 5% acidic.

The residual rust in the second photo wiped right off.

Jonathan

#394999 - 11/02/07 03:49 PM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: ]
bad karma Offline
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
mortar mixer and tumble with sand till clean

#395251 - 11/02/07 06:56 PM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: Jonathan]
MI Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: West Michigan
Sweet!! My 20 traps look just like your rusty one. I am relived to know I have a chance at using them again. I didn't want to have to replace them all. Thank you very much for the pictures.

Keith

#395760 - 11/03/07 08:04 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: MI Trapper]
dj722000 Offline
trapper

Loc: South Central WI USA
Vinegar huh. Dang, now I dont have to take them apart and go after them with a wire wheel nomore. LOL

#395796 - 11/03/07 08:44 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: dj722000]
Sledgehammer Offline
trapper

Loc: Friend, NE
Buzzard, that's cheating man! Lucky you.

#395827 - 11/03/07 09:52 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: Sledgehammer]
Maineman27
Unregistered

that 3 parts vin to 1 part water?

#395838 - 11/03/07 10:06 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: ]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

Loc: east central indiana
i used 50% of each vinegar and water
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#396098 - 11/03/07 02:45 PM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: trapper989]
Donnie
Unregistered

muratic acid works great,but you have to be careful,dulute and don`t leave them in any longer than you need to,then soak them in a baking soda bath,but the only reason i use it is because i always have it for washing masonry....so your probably better off using vineger...same thing basicly

#400112 - 11/06/07 02:28 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: ]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Yes, 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water. I add the water to buffer the intensity of using straight vinegar. If you soak traps in straight vinegar, forget about them by leaving them in solution too long, I have heard that it can weaken the springs on coil spring traps. A friend told me that happened to him once.

Jonathan

#400136 - 11/06/07 04:40 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: Jonathan]
Mystic Wildlife Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
Great pics Jonathan. If you're in a big hurry muriatic acid will do it faster, maybe in minutes or an hour. But like Donnie said you have to watch it and do it outside. Rinse real well when you're done.

#400145 - 11/06/07 05:19 AM Re: Removing Heavy rust on traps [Re: Mystic Wildlife]
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"

Thanks for the reminder, Donnie and Woofman.

The muriatic acid option is the one that I am not familiar with using as yet. I recall mention of it as an efficient trap rust remover in similar posts that I have participated in on this topic in the past.

I plan on giving the acid an objective try the next time that I need to remove rust - often from a need through the purchase of used traps that have been rusted for years. These photos are from used traps that had been hanging somewhere, I think, for twenty years.

Jonathan

Moderator:  tmrschessie