Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
did your ginseng survive the drought??? #3799894
05/14/13 09:37 AM
05/14/13 09:37 AM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline OP
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline OP
trapper

Illinois
was wondering if you guys have some seng still popping up??? saw some while mushroom hunting looks like stuff here survived the drought down in the bottoms,,,,havn't seen any on the higher ridges though.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: did your ginseng survive the drought??? [Re: foxkidd44] #3800047
05/14/13 11:53 AM
05/14/13 11:53 AM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
I have had about 200 plants that always came up in the front of my house. I planted the seng about 10 years ago. This year I have maybe 25 plants that came back. It is in a real dry area sheltered by the house and don't get as much rain as it needs sometimes. So I suspect it will be gone for ever. I should have dug the dang stuff last year. It would have sold for nice woods grown seng. O well, I have planted hundreds if not several thousand seeds from the plants, so that will help.

Re: did your ginseng survive the drought??? [Re: foxkidd44] #3800286
05/14/13 03:23 PM
05/14/13 03:23 PM
Ohio
ohbuyer II Offline
trapper
ohbuyer II  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Mine looks ok, although I have noticed some areas look thin. I did however dig around and found some roots still intact and looking really good but with no buds. So I imagine they will start new buds this year and then resprout next spring.

Naked and Afraid -April/May Africa 2019.......yes I did do it
YouTube-Korbin Outdoors
Instagram-tim_phillips66
Re: did your ginseng survive the drought??? [Re: foxkidd44] #3883819
07/10/13 10:31 AM
07/10/13 10:31 AM
hopkins/christian co Kentucky
O
olerootdigger Offline
trapper
olerootdigger  Offline
trapper
O

hopkins/christian co Kentucky
I have hunted a lil yeller root this year and have several places where ive started cascades down some steep grades of young poplars.. and this year in western ky the ginseng is phenominal.. I have several patches where the tops are huge over knee high and berrys already forming and thickening up.. the drought wasnt as bad here but it was bad nonetheless.. and am glad to say with this years ample rainfall they are thriving.. I doubt the market here will be as good as it was in dec 12 at a price of 720/lb but i have several patches i will be thinning down this year and think it looks promising on the harvest..

You can count the number of seeds in an orange but you cant count the number of oranges in a seed..
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread