Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#37986 - 01/14/07 01:29 PM how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags??
trapper989 Offline
trapper

Loc: east central indiana
i was just curious about how u skin a skunk as to not hit the spray bags....

i know when i catch a skunk i wanna have it tanned... or ill tan it

thanks

Jeff
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#38045 - 01/14/07 02:11 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: trapper989]
Chisholm Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: On. Canada
First thing you do is huck it in the bush and walk away lol J/K

cut an inch around the anus and you will miss them....

Luke

True North Strong And Free!

#38065 - 01/14/07 02:42 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: Chisholm Trapper]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

OK just like a circle arund the poop shoot...

will do

hopefully i can catch a skunk : ) i love the way their fur looks : )
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#38119 - 01/14/07 03:26 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: trapper989]
trappersdeal Online   content
trapper

Loc: Big Spring, TX
Go to your local feed store and buy a large hypodermic syringe and needle. Get a canning jar with a good rubber sealing lid. Lay that skunk on his back with his tail stretched out so nothing will go off by mistake. Feel along side the vent, to find the sacks- about thumb sized. Stick in your needle and when you can feel that you've gone through the first wall of the sack, start drawing out the essence. You've just made the skunk a lot safer to skin, and now have some lure for just about anything you would trap.

#38213 - 01/14/07 04:19 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: trappersdeal]
happyplumber Offline
trapper

Loc: Wisconsin
You need to use a single edge razor blade and cut gently around the vent. The vent goes right though between the the center of the two sacks. There usually is enough fat there to get enough free play to remove the glands. A locking forceps works well to squeeze the spraying device closed while doing this, as any excess pressure on the gland will cause leakage and slow the process. The idea is to remove the glands entirely by cutting all the way around them, lifting out and severing the annal tube from the bottom last. Then you can resume skinning as usual. I usually extract the juice from the glands individually with hypodermic while squeezing slightly to get it all. This juice should then be deposited in a pint or quart brandy bottle depending on how much juice you plan on saving. When I have it all extracted I also save the glands in a quart jar with a good sealing lid. HP

Edited by happyplumber (01/14/07 04:22 PM)

#38225 - 01/14/07 04:27 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: happyplumber]
Barkstone Offline

Loc: St Louis, Missouri
You can also just cut the tail bone, skin with tail attached then pull the tail bone out after you have removed the rest of the skunk from his hide. This reduces the need to put any pressure on the "bags"

#38242 - 01/14/07 04:34 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: Barkstone]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

how much does a syringe cost?
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#38268 - 01/14/07 04:50 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: trapper989]
Bloodyknuckles Offline
trapper

Loc: Owen County Kentucky
I do just like I do with coon, but modified.

I lay the skunk down on a table and ring the rear ankles.

I then cut up the leg toward the anus but stop before passing the thigh.

Then I skin out the legs and carefully skin back toward the tail.

When I have the leg, thigh, and hips skinned, I start very slowly to pull the skin and cut only the connective tissue leaving plenty of fur around the sacks. A little pulling will help separate the skin from the meat and you can leave some on the belly around the sex organs and the sacks. Then I cut behind the anus like on a coon, cut down the center of the tail, cut the "V" like on a coon but more toward the leg than the belly, skin and pull the tail and then peel him off.

I have skinned several this way. You will end up with a larger tuft of fur from the anus forward around the sacks than on a coon but really it is just about the size of the sight window on a coon.

#38349 - 01/14/07 05:29 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: Bloodyknuckles]
EvanKL Offline
trapper

Loc: Gainesville,MO
Well the easiest thing to do is shoot it grab it by the feet carry it out in the woods where your not gonna be and chunk it as far as you can or leave it for the garbage man.

Edited by Crookman99 (01/14/07 05:30 PM)

#38357 - 01/14/07 05:31 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: EvanKL]
Bloodyknuckles Offline
trapper

Loc: Owen County Kentucky
Crookman99

I thought the same thing. But they have an absolutely beautiful fur.

I have a bunch in the freezer. Some whole. I just can't decide which one to have mounted and which ones to make a hat out of.

#40595 - 01/15/07 08:00 PM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: Bloodyknuckles]
trapper989 Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: Bloodyknuckles

But they have an absolutely beautiful fur.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!
coon:
fox:
Yote:

#41111 - 01/16/07 07:32 AM Re: how do u skin a skunk with out hittin the bags?? [Re: trapper989]
CharlesKS Offline

Loc: Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
i took these pics at J.Morris's house. this was done inside his attached garage, skunk was de-glanded and skinned, with no smell.

make the normal opening cut, keep sharp edge of knofe blade UP!

slowly cut around glands, take alot of fat...

TADAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

charles

Moderator:  tmrschessie