ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: thomasb25] #3733981
03/30/13 08:37 AM
03/30/13 08:37 AM
E. Iowa
H
hvtrapper Offline
trapper
hvtrapper  Offline
trapper
H

E. Iowa
Originally Posted By: thomasb25
I usually like to do what the home owner says and abide by the law as well so sometimes it's tough to convince the best possible solution

In questionable circumstances I simply tell the customer that I will be releasing the animal. A CO once told me that he considered an animal released when it was removed from the trap. Through gravity, under it's own power or otherwise.

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: 330-Trapper] #3734712
03/30/13 05:27 PM
03/30/13 05:27 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Yes he had a yellow beatle with an Obama sticker on it.[/quote]
...Which Beatle? Only two are still alive, and Yoko doesn't count as a "yelow Beatle."

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: trapperpaw] #3734727
03/30/13 05:40 PM
03/30/13 05:40 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: trapperpaw
I have the option of euthanizing or relocating within some guidlines. I usually tell people I'll do what you want he hasn't done anything to me. I will board him, take him on vacation, pack him lunch and release him,or euthanize him and if I do that I'll eat him or feed him to someone else, give the animal to a trapper for fur.
Their is no welcome wagon in nature the best thing I can do for him and other wildlife is recycle him.
I give them the price of options with feeding someone being the cheapest. I don't know if they agree with my logic or because its the cheapest but it gives them great comfortthat someone is going to eat him.
I also give different prices for the method of trapping. I give them a couple of options and if they give me their options I give them a price for that. I might tell them that that if they feel that strongly about what happens to the skunk under their deck that they might just need to learn to live with him. I'm sure I lose some people but I think I gain some and I feel good about not working for people not willing to share the responsibility of what happens to the animal.

Paul's is one of the few responses that I can respect.
A few observations:
Know and follow the prevailing laws, period!
If you are going to euthanize an animal, do so legally and ethically and don't mislead your customer! I have no respect for those who will dodge a customer's legitimate question in order to make money off that customer. No professional would do so.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3734779
03/30/13 06:11 PM
03/30/13 06:11 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
If you are going to euthanize an animal, do so legally and ethically and don't mislead your customer!

Yep, if your laws don't allow relocating just tell the customer the truth and be done with it.

On a side note, I'm setting up a fox job tomorrow and the customer insists on seeing a dead fox. She says she will not be able to get a good nights sleep until she has proof that the fox is dead. No relocating, no nothing except a dead fox.

I probably could have charged an extra $100 for dispatch.

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3734797
03/30/13 06:21 PM
03/30/13 06:21 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Every time I get a customer like that, I think of the scene in The Untouchables in which Al Capone (Robert DeNiro) rants, "I want them DEAD! I want them all DEAD! I want to see his family dead in their beds!"

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 03/30/13 06:21 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3734857
03/30/13 07:05 PM
03/30/13 07:05 PM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline
trapper
mtncat  Offline
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
With the exception of gophers, coyotes and feral hogs everything here is relocated unless sick or injured.
Had a guy that wanted me to live catch a gopher so he could torture it to death. Declined that one.

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: sgs] #3735090
03/30/13 09:23 PM
03/30/13 09:23 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:
If you are going to euthanize an animal, do so legally and ethically and don't mislead your customer!

Yep, if your laws don't allow relocating just tell the customer the truth and be done with it.

Exactly. I never tell or "mislead" a customer about what's going to happen. We can not translocate raccoons or skunks in Illinois, and the customer is ALWAYS advised about this on the initial phone call. If they refuse service, so be it.

When IL first changed the law in 1999, I made the mistake of driving 40 miles to a site where coons were living in an attic. I arrived and started setting up traps on the rooftop as usual. The guy was aware I was going to put them down, but when his wife came outside and started asking questions things went bad.

I wasn't about to lie to her (as many husbands ask me to do about killing things) so when I told her the what the law requires she went ballistic, screamed at me and told me to get off their property. I used this as a learning experience.... didn't charge the service call or any fees, just grabbed my stuff and left.

I agree 100% with Dave regarding those who dodge the question in order to keep the job. If money is more important to you than operating on a professional level.... I guess you have to live with it.

Ron Scheller

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3737317
04/01/13 09:38 AM
04/01/13 09:38 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
LIE laugh

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3737397
04/01/13 10:26 AM
04/01/13 10:26 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
Like Eric Arnold say's, I decide if I want to work for them. They don't hire me.

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: hvtrapper] #3739012
04/02/13 07:37 AM
04/02/13 07:37 AM
E. Iowa
H
hvtrapper Offline
trapper
hvtrapper  Offline
trapper
H

E. Iowa
Originally Posted By: hvtrapper
Originally Posted By: thomasb25
I usually like to do what the home owner says and abide by the law as well so sometimes it's tough to convince the best possible solution

In questionable circumstances I simply tell the customer that I will be releasing the animal. A CO once told me that he considered an animal released when it was removed from the trap. Through gravity, under it's own power or otherwise.

Tough trying for "tongue in cheek" while typing. Guess I'll leave that for Paul from here on out.
I never lie to clients and always follow the law.
We all have had some clients that ask the question but who don't really want to know the answer.

Tom Walters
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Ron Scheller] #3739238
04/02/13 11:05 AM
04/02/13 11:05 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller

Originally Posted By: Ron Scheller
Exactly. I never tell or "mislead" a customer about what's going to happen. We can not translocate raccoons or skunks in Illinois, and the customer is ALWAYS advised about this on the initial phone call. If they refuse service, so be it.

When IL first changed the law in 1999, I made the mistake of driving 40 miles to a site where coons were living in an attic. I arrived and started setting up traps on the rooftop as usual. The guy was aware I was going to put them down, but when his wife came outside and started asking questions things went bad.

I wasn't about to lie to her (as many husbands ask me to do about killing things) so when I told her the what the law requires she went ballistic, screamed at me and told me to get off their property. I used this as a learning experience.... didn't charge the service call or any fees, just grabbed my stuff and left.

I agree 100% with Dave regarding those who dodge the question in order to keep the job. If money is more important to you than operating on a professional level.... I guess you have to live with it.

Exactly how I feel about as well. Back in the day I thought I was slick learning how to dance around "THE QUESTION". Dry humor, don't ask don't tell, the look and all the other slick responses just add up to so much deceit and half truths. I also found that being anything less than 110% honest and up front with a client just laid the groundwork for what else is he not telling me.
Surprisingly I get a much better response when I tell them right up front what is going to happen and leave no room for any haggling or discussion on the disposition of wildlife once it comes into my possession. It removes the whole whose wildlife is it anyway question and I am the one in control not the client.

Last edited by warrior; 04/02/13 11:06 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3739283
04/02/13 11:40 AM
04/02/13 11:40 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I tell client if they ask that I am going to euthanasia the animal according to the AVMA standards. Some want to know just how I am going to euthanasia the animal, I do not tell them, I just say one of the AVMA standard is to cause as little stress as possible from the time the animal is trap until the animal is euthanasia. It works for me. I you are honest you do not have to make up stories

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3739896
04/02/13 05:54 PM
04/02/13 05:54 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Here's a question that I have for those areas of the northeast that were positively ravaged by the rabies epidemic. Don't you feel that releasing apparently healthy looking animals into those areas, would bring back the population sooner?

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3740594
04/02/13 11:51 PM
04/02/13 11:51 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I thought this fits in well with this thread. Just caught a bunch of moles today at this property..... 2 traps were set within 5 feet of the fence this sign is on! Good thing there isn't a picture of a mole on the sign.... I'd be in trouble! FYI: They WEREN'T live traps.

Ron Scheller

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Dave Schmidt] #3741053
04/03/13 10:46 AM
04/03/13 10:46 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Yes he had a yellow beatle with an Obama sticker on it.

...Which Beatle? Only two are still alive, and Yoko doesn't count as a "yelow Beatle." [/quote]

With 4 small wheels Dave... LOL! and a trunk in the front... I don't think Yoko has a trunk in the front either... Hahaha!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3744221
04/04/13 10:43 PM
04/04/13 10:43 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Ron, what is this place...and how do they keep animal predators from hunting (if they read, I don't think they pay any attention to the sign)?

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: ADC Jobs for Animal Lovers [Re: Muddawg] #3744396
04/04/13 11:59 PM
04/04/13 11:59 PM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Dave, it's a back yard at a residence. Home is built on a hillside and has a walk-out patio and dog pen. They better hope there are some effcetive predators, as they have a large pet door ALWAYS UNLATCHED leading right into the house from the dog pen enclosure. Next call will be for coons in the house.

Ron Scheller

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread