ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3603848
01/31/13 12:55 PM
01/31/13 12:55 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Okay so far we have (summarized):

- buying too much or the wrong gear for startup

- expanding territory further instead of focusing close to home (driving too far)

- pricing structure (per animal vs. per job)

- trusting people to be honest and pay (versus getting cc# up front)

- learning to say "no" when the job is beyond fixable or something isn't right

- not adding help soon enough, technicians, spouse etc... to allow more growth

- too much or the wrong type of advertising dollars spent

Thats what we have so far, good points and all good to learn from.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3604501
01/31/13 07:07 PM
01/31/13 07:07 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I will tell you what hurt the most. Lack of business experience and business education.

My best friend and I started in this business at the same time. ( And neither knew the other one was starting )

He was a retired executive and knew business inside and out. ( And he was a really good trapper )

I knew a lot about spray painting and drinking beer. ( And I was a fairly decent trapper myself )

He would just about double what I made in a year. ( It was his business experience right from the get-go )

P.S. My son graduated college, joined the company as supreme overseer, and now we do a lot better. ( And I quit drinking beer )

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 01/31/13 07:12 PM.
Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3604836
01/31/13 09:05 PM
01/31/13 09:05 PM
southern wisconsin
C
cooner321 Offline
trapper
cooner321  Offline
trapper
C

southern wisconsin
mad buying use traps

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3605514
02/01/13 01:25 AM
02/01/13 01:25 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I bought about two dozen Wickenkamp for $15 apiece. I still have about 17 left and they're still being used 25 years later. I wish the other seven hadn't walked off like that. You don't suppose someone stole them, do you?

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3606770
02/01/13 04:58 PM
02/01/13 04:58 PM
Six Mile, SC
cannonx4 Offline
trapper
cannonx4  Offline
trapper

Six Mile, SC
Ok I have a question, for the ones that bought unnecessary equipment. What would you do now, buy it as the jobs called for it? If so, what do you do about the people not wanting to wait till the equipment comes in? Or emergency's that come up?

Is there a list of things that any new business should get ahead of time?

Upstate Varmint & Predator Control
Ronnie Cannon
Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3606777
02/01/13 05:02 PM
02/01/13 05:02 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I am not sure you can avoid that mistake. A couple dozen traps is not a BIG mistake. Figure that it is a cost of doing business.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607087
02/01/13 07:09 PM
02/01/13 07:09 PM
Tennessee
M
mchitwood Offline
trapper
mchitwood  Offline
trapper
M

Tennessee
Again, it's ok to pass on a job if your not geared for it. My point is that you shouldn't go buy a bunch of special bird traps, snake gear, mole traps or whatever until you get a call or two for them. If I had purchased a single bird trap it would have been money wasted to date. I haven't received a single call yet that required trapping birds, I've netted birds, but not trapped any. Not to say that you won't do plenty of that but I haven't yet. I don't see how you could go wrong buying core equipment for the problem animals in your area so long as you buy quality and not quantity to start. I haven't taken on any debt building my business but it is slow going. I was told in the beginning by others to buy a trap or tool with each job and have taken that approach to heart. If I did a raccoon job I bought more raccoon gear(traps, baits, lures), same with skunk or whatever. In this approach I geared towards the calls that I get the most of. Just don't buy junk that will sit not making you money or have to be replaced when it fails you at the worst possible time(that's when it happens!)

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: mchitwood] #3607109
02/01/13 07:16 PM
02/01/13 07:16 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Exactly what he said, while you can't avoid some things being bought that you might not end up needing, if you start getting to where you
can always use an extra or two or three, you can buy them and get them shipped, or if you are lucky just go and pick them up (not my situation).

I geared up for all things and wish I hadn't, exactly as mchitwood says, don't buy things that you don't know you'll need up front unless you've got
a real good sense for needing them.

You will still have some misfires, but a few is okay, too many and you've got a warehouse like I do! smile

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607121
02/01/13 07:23 PM
02/01/13 07:23 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

There are so many specialty traps that you might need one a year. You might kick yourself for buying them....but then again they will come in handy. This sets you apart from a regular homeowner...that does not have any tricks up their sleeve.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607186
02/01/13 07:58 PM
02/01/13 07:58 PM
Tennessee
M
mchitwood Offline
trapper
mchitwood  Offline
trapper
M

Tennessee
You make a very good point Dave, but again, until I get a call or two requiring the oddball trap I try not to buy it. Believe me, I've bought stuff that I didn't need. I have the burning desire to have all the toys and gadgets. I'll eventually get there but, for now, not having them hasn't really cost me any money!

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607193
02/01/13 08:03 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Justin, ( And this applies to all of you ) if you have equipment that you've never used, sell it, give it away, donate it, it doesn't matter. Two days after it is gone, you will need it. That is, as they say, life.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607196
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I've been following this thread and wondering what it is I wish I didn't do and haven't really come up with anything. I've made a few mistakes but they were good lessons.

My very first paying job ended up stiffing me. It hasn't happened again in over three years but I am still a little more wary.

I was relieved of the burden of ownership on two traps. I learned to cable or stake them.

I've had to deal with hostile anti-trappers but I learned stealth and avoiding conflict.

It's a lot easier to point out the things I'm glad I did/didn't do.

Like mchitwood, I'm glad I've incurred zero debt.

I'm glad I spent a few years trapping for free. It's the only time I've ever offered a money back guarantee.

I'm glad I took it slow. By that I mean it has never been my one and only source of income so there has never been much pressure financially.

I'm very glad I've spent every day learning about wildlife.

Mostly, I'm glad I marched to my own drum. Advice can be a double edged sword.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3607208
02/01/13 08:10 PM
02/01/13 08:10 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Good post, sqs. There may be more of you than there are of us, but for the most part, your answers are those of a full timer.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3613433
02/04/13 12:53 PM
02/04/13 12:53 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
The only real thing I'd change was that I priced my first few jobs too cheaply. But, in the grand scheme of things I'm still happy as they've been with me ever since and I'm just tweaking the prices up each year. I learnt one thing fast...and that's good advertising is the best investment you will ever make. Just one sign at the side oif a busy junction brought me over £2000 of work, and I'm on a contract from that sign too....

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3613551
02/04/13 02:02 PM
02/04/13 02:02 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
Growing too fast can be a train wreck! Slow and steady is the way to go.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3614165
02/04/13 07:13 PM
02/04/13 07:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
roe, I hope you read this. My sister-in-law has visited your country on a couple of occasions. She made a few friends there and they reciprocated by coming to America.

She called her sister and asked what there was to do here that would keep them as entertained as she had been in England. At that time we had a shooting range in our backyard. So we said, "bring them over to our house for an afternoon."

I tried to explain why we Americans love shooting but I told them they wouldn't understand until they did it themselves. We had a nice selection of .22's in almost every shape and style you could think of.

Though both of these Brits never missed the target, one of them was a natural. We hung balloons, among other things and watching their expression every time a balloon popped, was priceless.

I told them that the guns they were firing could take a life even though they were one of our smallest calibers. And also that we provided a safe target with a safe backdrop so accidents were out of the question.

I really do not know who was happier; your countrymen for being able to fire their first guns, or the Winkelmann family for proving the opportunity.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3615459
02/05/13 05:27 AM
02/05/13 05:27 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
roe, I hope you read this. My sister-in-law has visited your country on a couple of occasions. She made a few friends there and they reciprocated by coming to America.

She called her sister and asked what there was to do here that would keep them as entertained as she had been in England. At that time we had a shooting range in our backyard. So we said, "bring them over to our house for an afternoon."

I tried to explain why we Americans love shooting but I told them they wouldn't understand until they did it themselves. We had a nice selection of .22's in almost every shape and style you could think of.

Though both of these Brits never missed the target, one of them was a natural. We hung balloons, among other things and watching their expression every time a balloon popped, was priceless.

I told them that the guns they were firing could take a life even though they were one of our smallest calibers. And also that we provided a safe target with a safe backdrop so accidents were out of the question.

I really do not know who was happier; your countrymen for being able to fire their first guns, or the Winkelmann family for proving the opportunity.

Well, over here we can have guns, but they are only given out on a strict licence system. I have a pistol, a .243 and a .30.06....The gun laws are crazy and it has done zip against gun crime. there's more of that than ever! But, yes, it sure is a good way to while a way a few hours with a spot of plinking.....

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3621366
02/07/13 03:40 PM
02/07/13 03:40 PM
North Wisconsin
G
Giardiasis Offline
trapper
Giardiasis  Offline
trapper
G

North Wisconsin
Guys I been following this and learning. I have one question though about not buying gear you wont need, sorta of working into things. So have any of you only worked on certain types of animals. As in only being set up in the handleing the most common complaints for your area ? For me here there would be very few bat complaints, or complaints about moles, or pigions. My thought was to gear up for the most common, and the rest say no on and pass along ? Does that work for anyone ?

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3621408
02/07/13 04:08 PM
02/07/13 04:08 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

I pass on jobs daily. Focus on your area of competience.

Re: One thing you wish you didn't do (when starting up [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3621694
02/07/13 06:03 PM
02/07/13 06:03 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
Okay so far we have (summarized):

- buying too much or the wrong gear for startup

- expanding territory further instead of focusing close to home (driving too far)

- pricing structure (per animal vs. per job)

- trusting people to be honest and pay (versus getting cc# up front)

- learning to say "no" when the job is beyond fixable or something isn't right

- not adding help soon enough, technicians, spouse etc... to allow more growth

- too much or the wrong type of advertising dollars spent

Thats what we have so far, good points and all good to learn from.

Many people make a post (I have been guilty) asking for information but never follow up. You have followed up and compiled the answers. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You make this place worthwhile.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread