Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Question about a mink set in an old FFG #347062
09/24/07 09:23 PM
09/24/07 09:23 PM
Wisconsin
H
Hammilton Offline OP
trapper
Hammilton  Offline OP
trapper
H

Wisconsin
I'm gonna have to quote a bit from this article by Kermit Stearns called "Pocketing Mink" from the October 2001 issue of Fur-Fish-Game. I can't figure out exactly what this guys talking about or how to make this set.

Here I go:

"Where a spring or brook enters a larger stream, go about 8 or 10 feet up the spring and dig a rivulet to one side to within about 3 feet of the main stream, then dig a hole slanting into the main stream (like explained in the previous set) only keep the end of the hole a few inches above the water. You now have a rivulet running from the spring brook down through the hole into the main stream."

I don't know what he's referring to about the previous set, which was a deep pocket with a hole from dry land slanting down and connecting to the water-level pocket, and then covering the dry-land hole with some drift wood. He stuffs meat at the joint, as best I can tell.

I understand the two-hole one-pocket set, but not the rivulet set at all, not even a teeny bit.

Also, I'm gonna make my first attempt at a mink long-line this year, and I'm hoping to make mink snares a substantial part of that. What's the best way to set snares for mink? In wisconsin, all snares (excluding cable restraints in our mini-CR season for fox and coyote) have to be at least 50% submerged.

And to run about 60 leg holds, whats the best set to make quickly and take fur with? I don't think there's any way to go searching through hundreds of miles for blind sets, but at the same time, I'm not fond of using lure or bait, besides a little rat meat once in a while.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Hammilton] #347200
09/24/07 10:14 PM
09/24/07 10:14 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
As far as the rivulet set I can't help ya there. I am not exactly sure what he is talking about. Perhaps someone else on here has used it or remembers that article.

If your looking for a good fast way to catch mink with footholds I have to recommend the pocket set. It's quick and it works.

If your looking at hitting mink hard this year you might want to pick up a copy of Gerald Schmitt's mink book. The guy is an outstanding mink trapper and his book has a lot of good info.

Check out Foxtail's post about Cumberlands from this past weekend. He has a video clip of a demo given by another good MN minker. Watch it should learn a thing or two from it.

Hope this helps.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #347226
09/24/07 10:21 PM
09/24/07 10:21 PM
Wisconsin
H
Hammilton Offline OP
trapper
Hammilton  Offline OP
trapper
H

Wisconsin
Muskrat populations around here seem way, way down, at least in my marsh. Where last year there was sign everywhere, I have a hard time finding it at all now. The water level is down at least 3 feet, too. I think someone forgot to open a floodgate or something upstream.

Mink seems the only way to go. If I can hit 100 of them, I'll be amazed. I'll be happy with half of that.

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #347250
09/24/07 10:27 PM
09/24/07 10:27 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Duh! I thought we had some real minkers on here!

He is talking about diverting the water into two streams, by digging a trench...and then digging a hole between the two, just above the waterline. This way, as the stream trickles down toward the main creek, it forks, ( because of your trench) causing the mink to take not one but one of two routes. The hole is not dug straight across but at an angle, so that the mink working up stream see's it from the mouth of the creek. This can also be done easily with 4" black pipe and is easier shown than told!

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: LT GREY] #347293
09/24/07 10:40 PM
09/24/07 10:40 PM
Wisconsin
H
Hammilton Offline OP
trapper
Hammilton  Offline OP
trapper
H

Wisconsin
Yeah, I wish they would have included a photo of what he was talking about, instead of the above-and-below hole pocket set, that one was easy to understand.

That's gotta be tons of work, though- no? Would you bother with it LT?

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Hammilton] #347330
09/24/07 11:05 PM
09/24/07 11:05 PM
michigan
L
livetofish Offline
trapper
livetofish  Offline
trapper
L

michigan
take it from someone who catches a few mink, dont waste time with sets like that, and you better learn blind sets. Pocket sets will catch them for sure, but blind sets are the ace in the hole. You could not would not catch 100 mink with 60 traps set in just pocket sets. I also wouldnt touch a snare for them when the 110 coni is around.

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: livetofish] #347346
09/24/07 11:13 PM
09/24/07 11:13 PM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
i agree ....blindsets with footholds and conis are the way to go for mink !!

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Gary] #347419
09/25/07 01:00 AM
09/25/07 01:00 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
He asked for a quick set and I suggested pockets. I guess it depends on the type of area that you are in. I grew up in southern MN. This area is full of some incredible mink trappers. Guys like Gerald Schmitt, Tim Sawatzky, Jim Blakely, and Ron Hauser just to name a few. Many more that quitely go about there business but can really trap mink. I was fortunate to learn a thing or two from some great trappers while I was growing up there and running my traplines. Keep in mind the habitat is outstanding and there are drainage ditches and creeks running everywhere. There is soft mud banks lining these ditches and creeks making for easy digging so punching in a pocket is no problem. All throughout MN, Iowa and the Eastern Dakota's you will find big number mink guys. Most of them operate pretty much the same way; pull up to a bridge, run down to the creek, punch in two or three pockets and be back in there truck in a matter of minutes. They do this stop after stop all day long. They move hard and fast and really rack up the mink and coon. Some of these guys will knock down 100 mink a week and end up with 300 to 400 mink a year, sometimes more. A lot of it depends on the weather and when they get shut down. Kind of frustrating to have guys like this for competition but man can you learn from them.
I'm certainly not in the same league as these big numbers mink guys, but I sure do give them credit.

I am not saying blind sets don't work. They do. I've used them and caught mink in them. Many trappers swear by them and use them exclusively on mink.

Again a lot of it depends on the area. Some parts of the country it is very difficult digging making pocket sets hard to use. Areas like this tend to have a lot more die hard blind set men.

I am not trying to start a dispute about who's the better mink trapper or whats the best mink area. Just trying to pass on some info.

The bottom line use whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with. If you have never tried the pocket thing give it a shot. Trust me they work.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #347429
09/25/07 01:38 AM
09/25/07 01:38 AM
Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
Gary Offline
trapper
Gary  Offline
trapper

Indiana, 15 1/4yrs old
great point cameron ..... i agree with ya to a degree ;\)

Possums and fanged beaver Skeer Me frown
Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: Gary] #347432
09/25/07 01:49 AM
09/25/07 01:49 AM

N
Nick C
Unregistered
Nick C
Unregistered
N

Gerald Schmitt caught 764 mink in one season, I think it was only 7 or 8 weeks. His "go to" set is a pocket.

Re: Question about a mink set in an old FFG [Re: LT GREY] #347858
09/25/07 02:12 PM
09/25/07 02:12 PM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Hammilton and all you other's on here looking for some good mink trapping knowledge, I am going to bump up to the top a post made by foxtail a couple of days ago. He has attached video clips taken from demos at the Cumberlands Trappers appreciation deal this past weekend. Check out the mink demo clips. The weasel ones are pretty neat as well.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91