ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3883555
07/10/13 02:08 AM
07/10/13 02:08 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Well I hope I don't have roost site in my back yard. We had bats in our attic a few years ago. I kept hearing noises in our master bedroom closet and thought they were mice, squirrels, chipmunks, racoons... anything but bats. I set rat/mouse traps in the attic and a live squirrel trap. Nothing.... couldn't figure out what it was.

I looked on the outside of the house near where we heard the noises and found some droppings that had shiny stuff in it....like colors of a fly....the lightbulb went on and I headed straight to Google. Bingo...bat poo.

My wife and I counted 18 that came out of the attic one night. I banged on ceiling until the noises stopped to make sure they were all out. I then shoved a rag into the crease they were coming out of until a more permanent repair could be made. I have not heard one in the attic since. (They were actually getting in through a very tiny crease in the soffit.

.....Aaaany way... I guess as long as they are outside, I don't mind since they keep the bug population in check. My neighbor has a small bat house mounted on his house but I have never looked close enough to see if anything uses it. Maybe I should.

Day 17..... No moles or activity since Day 11. (Just in case you are keeping track....ha)

Last edited by gnr; 07/10/13 02:10 AM.
Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3934639
08/10/13 12:09 AM
08/10/13 12:09 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
After about a month of thinking I had got all the moles, I saw a little surface activity last night when mowing. mad There was also 1 mound in my neighbor's yard just across the line. I thought for sure I was free of these little buggers after getting 7 in about a 10 day period in late June and no activity since.

I got my traps back out and set one OOS last night and had nothing this morning. When I got home from work, I had one in the trap. That makes 8 from my back yard since late June. I wonder if I just missed one earlier in the year or if a new batch has moved in. ??

(Sorry to post to an old thread but I am just doing this mainly for documentation so my mole history is in one place. When they make movie about it someday, it will be easier for the writers and production crew to follow... laugh

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3934883
08/10/13 09:09 AM
08/10/13 09:09 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
A new one moved in. If you are next to a wooded area, you will have them moving in all the time. Just set traps as soon as you see new workings.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3939760
08/12/13 09:24 PM
08/12/13 09:24 PM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
The immediate area isn't heavily wooded but many of the backyards in the neighborhood have many trees that were left when the houses were built. The somewhat woodsy area sort of zig zags and eventually finds some actual wooded areas nearby. Occasionally I see deer tracks in the back yard.

Prior to last fall, I only recall one other year where I had moles but they didn't stick around very long. (I didn't trap then... I used those poison peanut pellets which you never know if they work or not.) Oh well, now I have traps so I'm ready for those buggers.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread