ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3868680
06/30/13 08:02 AM
06/30/13 08:02 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
With the Skill I have developed using the trapline traps I have not used an OOS trap for a few years now.We have hundreds of them to use. The only place we use them as of late is in the very shallow surface feeding runs that the OOS traps works great for those kinds of set ups.

The OOS traps can be used in many other scenarios if you wish to dig down and excavate the runs to get to the depth needed to connect with a deeper mole run.However if you have to do that you might as well use the trapline traps when all that effort is needed to set an OOS.

Just things you learn to adapt to in this work and if you get proficient with a device and a good solid method routine there is reason for change in old methodology. I was a hardcore OOS and spear trap user in situations where the longer spear type traps gave a bit more penetration for engaging a mole tunnel.

Now it doesnt matter the depth of activity, those moles can run but cant hide from a good trapline trap set up. Our clean out percentage time has gone way down in the last few years. Of course developing an eye in identfying and deciphering the road map of mixed runs, mole den sights,locating deeper primary use travel tunnels and identifying feed run tunnels take alot of credit with that success rate as well.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3868753
06/30/13 09:18 AM
06/30/13 09:18 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I never give advice after Bob Jameson....it makes me sound dumb... laugh

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3868775
06/30/13 09:50 AM
06/30/13 09:50 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
With your experience Lt Grey I dont ever think that many contributions that you make could sound dumb.

Many would be quite privledged to know what you have forgotten. wink Hopefully there will be a few that will develop that intense daily drive to excel in trapping and ADC that has motivated both of us for all these years. It has been a very good ride for me but the road has been getting a bit rocky the last couple of years.:)

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3868797
06/30/13 10:21 AM
06/30/13 10:21 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Update...

Day 8 ... Mole #5 on OOS from same hole as #3 & #4 mole. (The moles seem to be getting smaller... I hope this is a good sign that the end is near.)

Bob... I feel like I am using the Trapline correctly but perhaps I am not doing something quite right. I don't know what my problem was last fall exactly but I had no luck on any of the traps. The holes where I am getting moles this year, I have only used the OOS. Maybe I am just don't have the Traplines in the right place.

I still don't know what I am looking at most of the time when I try to figure out what these moles are doing. This year, I have so far seen very few actual surface tunnel activity. Most of what I have seen is mounds so I have set my traps in or near those areas where I found the tunnel.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3868961
06/30/13 12:44 PM
06/30/13 12:44 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you dig out (like a cookie cutter removal)a 10"x10" square of sod/dirt (keep it in one piece if possible) about 6" to 10" deep with a spade tile type shovel like I use between some mounds that appear to be in somewhat of a line, you will at some point intersect the primary travel tunnels.

We do this all the time when shallow or mid level surface tunnel networks are not readily visible and only the mounds are the indications of mole activity. These networks are almost always close to trees, shrubs or sloped hillsides void of any appreciable trees or larger plant growth of any kind. As these are typically their nest chamber sites. The roots or grade slopeing help to keep the chambers dry for the most part thru absorption or runoff.

Some runs may be the jointure of multiple tunnels that you find at times. I find 3 and 4 runs intersecting many times at good mound connection run locations. I set a trap in each run that I find. Digging out your access plug may compress or disfigure some of the original tunnels so just use your fingers to probe around to find and reestablish the compressed runs.I use the handle end of my dandelion tool for this purpose many times.

Some of these runs will run at a steep angle down, some parallel to the surface and others at different angles.Give yourself enough room to work with each trap that you set, set all the runs and replace the cut sod right back into the cut out area the way it was removed. That way the runs will match up fairly close to the previous position of the tunnels.

These intersections get alot of use. Kind of like trapping fox or coyotes at a farm road field intersection in a pasture. You just know you will catch there.

I have very good catch success on digging out and setting up new or freshly developed mounds with steves traps. Once you have found a suitable mound kick the mound down to the ground level, probe for the blocked surface tunnel and re establish the run and its decent angle. I probe the tunnel and clean it well and compact it for the first 6-8". Widen the run just large enough for the open set jaws of the trap to be pushed down into the run as far as I can from the surface making sure you bed the trap /compress it into the bottom of the run securely. Flag and anchor down the trap and leave. DO NOT cover the dug out tunnel and set trap.

You want the air flow and sunlight to project into the tunnel. If this mound access run is still on his maintenance schedule and when they are new or close to a primary travel tunnel they typically will be visited every few days or so. This new disturbance will cause the mole to investigate and come up for an inspection to the new opening and most likely attempt to close it once again with a few handfuls of dirt in most cases.

The airflow and sunlite flowing into their tunnels in the wrong positions of their tunnel network tends to dry out their tunnel environment which causes a temperature rise which they dont like or want. They need a very controlled environment to live and to maintain their body temperature comfort zone. So the inclination for them to keep as many runs closed is quite important to their lifestyle.They only maintain ground level breather ports where needed along their network to allow enough air to suit their needs.

One of the big problems I have seen while teaching individuals how to trap moles using any type of mole trap is making sure that you set the trap in the mole run at the correct "precise" direction of travel. Too many times I have critiqued someones job set up that was having problems only to find out that their lineup of the trap placement into the mole run was off to one side or another.

Thus when the mole would travel to the point of contact of the trap the mole may have passed thru the trap from an angle and not fired the trap or not engaged it at all due to a bad set up. Make sure your set ups are in as straight of a line as you can find or dig into a better location if you arent real good at angular set ups yet. Bed those traps well and push them back into the run as far as your method and tool use will allow you. My dandelion tool allows me to set way back into the run so there is no slop in the run size and you have totally submerged your trap past the point of entry into a virgin part of the tunnel.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3869252
06/30/13 04:49 PM
06/30/13 04:49 PM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Bob,

I certainly appreciate your time and effort to provide that detailed explanation. Very impressive. I now understand the comment LT Gray made previously. Sounds like you do know your stuff!

My back yard has about 18 trees so it sounds like you hit the nail on the head. I guess I am in a den area based upon your explanation. Any idea how many moles I should expect to be in the area? My backyard along with several adjoining neighbors have many trees. Last year, there was a visibile surface tunnel running from my yard across the neighbors yard and into another neighbors yard where it ran parallel with a fence. I have not seen that tunnel visible yet this year. The yards in this area are not extremely healthy I guess because of the lack of sun it gets. The ground is somewhat compacted and the grass is not realy dense.

On the mounds, I have tried setting a Trapline downward into the tunnel. However, it sounds like I have not been pushing it far enough down the tunnel. Are you saying that you push the trap down the tunnel with the dandelion tool? I would think that would be difficult to keep in line and to not trip the trap. I have just been using a trowel and big screwdriver as my "mole tools". I don't own a dandelion tool but I guess I may need to get one.

Sometimes when I have set traps in mound holes, I have covered the hold and sometimes left it open. When I left it open, the trap was plugged up so I guess the mole wasn't coming out of the tunnel far enough to get into the trap. I will use your tips on the next set up. (Unless I have removed them all... I'm at 5 in 8 days which is about 3 or 4 more than I thought I had to begin with.)

As far as the 10 x 10 plug, I don't think my ground would ever stay in one piece to use as a plug. Can you just sprinkle the dirt back into the hole or does that cover it up too much? That is what I have been doing with the OSS trap and that seems to be working.

Again, thank you for all of your helpful advice.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3869338
06/30/13 05:54 PM
06/30/13 05:54 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If your cut out plug will not hold together due to dry ground or lack of root thatch I just go to a place on site. Typically fringe areas with weeds etc should suffice with a more integrity sound piece of sod. Just cut out a matched sized plug from a grassed rooted area and transport it to the needed plug site. I just push and nestle it into place the best you can.

I do this procedure often as necessary on alot of jobs that have the conditions such as you are describing. Using a more stable rooted /grassed plug allows much easier trap checking on that location for the needed time to monitor that location set up. Removing it and replacing it daily or as needed will work out much better.

Numbers of moles on site is difficult to determine. Factoring migration into the picture creates another unknown regarding potential varying population in the area and those tunnels that may intersect into your property that can influence your population also.

The dandelion tool allows you to work nicely steves types of trap and also the spear types. Once you get onto its use you will become more proficient at set ups. When setting a run, after I set the trap, I engage the bottom backside of the traps jaws with the forked end of the tool. I push the trap jaws forward into the run with the tool while holding the push bar forward during this proceedure. This prevents the trap from firing while positioning the trap during placement. Make sure you press down on the traps frontal jaw base area after positioning the trap in the run.

Trap bedding is important.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3869376
06/30/13 06:19 PM
06/30/13 06:19 PM
Ford City, PA
T
thekid Offline
trapper
thekid  Offline
trapper
T

Ford City, PA
smoke bombs are the solution to everything

I like to Hunt, fish, trap, and raise quail
Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3869386
06/30/13 06:24 PM
06/30/13 06:24 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
And this comes from your experience with mole work I suppose?

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3871696
07/02/13 02:02 AM
07/02/13 02:02 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Bob... thanks again for your helpful advice. After mole #5 on Sunday morning in the OOS, I have not seen any activity since. How long do you wait to pull your traps without seeing activity this time of year?

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3871760
07/02/13 06:35 AM
07/02/13 06:35 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Pulling traps is a judgement call in most cases.If you feel you are set on good potential travel ways and you arent sure if you are cleaned out yet just leave them set and mow around them. If they are set on your own property I am sure it isnt a problem to do so.

Or you can take a break and pull the traps out and monitor for renewed activity. With all the rain we are haveing you should be seeing some activity if they are still there or if new ones move in with these wet conditions continuing.

Dig open some of the primary runs on top a little about a fifty cent piece size and monitor for dirt plugs closeing the openings. If that happens you have new activity in that run.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: Bob Jameson] #3873204
07/03/13 12:20 AM
07/03/13 12:20 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Well, I guess I spoke too soon. This morning (day 10 I think... I'm starting to lose track...) I got mole #6 out of the same hole as 3,4,& 5. I have 1 other OOS set and 3 sets (2 traps each) of the Traplines that have had no activity at all for several days. I have also left the hole open where mole #1 and #2 came from and it has yet to be plugged for 5-6 days.

I guess you are right... it isn't doing any harm in leaving them up a while. It is raining tonight so maybe will help if there are any left.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3873344
07/03/13 07:05 AM
07/03/13 07:05 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
We set 2 new jobs yesterday. The runs were very saturated with water and some had running water in them due to a high clay content tabling the water. Most likely it will take a few days for the areas to perk and continue to run off. If it rains more then it most likely will extend our job a little.

We set the higher ground and landscape areas as the lawn wasn't suitable for much mole activity until it dries more. We have primarily eastern moles here. If we had star nosed moles it would be a no brainer as they like and prefer that kind of habitat.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: Bob Jameson] #3873913
07/03/13 01:56 PM
07/03/13 01:56 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson

Ah hahahahahhaahahahaha..... laugh

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: LT GREY] #3874017
07/03/13 03:08 PM
07/03/13 03:08 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson

Ah hahahahahhaahahahaha..... laugh

Just silicone it.... Right vinke

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3875089
07/04/13 02:12 AM
07/04/13 02:12 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Day eleven... Mole# seven...is going to heaven. (from same hole as 3-6 on the OOS trap) I keep thinking I'm at the end but they keep coming. I'm still in amazement that I could't catch 1 stinkin' mole all last fall and now 7 in 11 days.

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3875145
07/04/13 06:59 AM
07/04/13 06:59 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Practice,persistence and good effort usually prevails in trapping success.We have all paid some dues with respects to the learning curve.Success is a gratifying feeling isn't it after a continued effort gives the desired results. Look at the knowledge,skill and confidence you have gained in the process. smile

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3875700
07/04/13 01:47 PM
07/04/13 01:47 PM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Bob, your comments relate to life in general as well as moles and are right on target. But, yea... it feels really good to be in the win column for a change. I certainly appreciate your help and guidance.

I'm looking forward to trying some of your tips for the Trapline but I have not seen enough activity to try new spots. I've been content with an average of a mole every other day coming from one of the 2 OOS holes. (...If it aint broke... don't fix it.)

Day 12... no moles or activity (yet). It rained hard yesterday so it made a muddy mess of things in the the war zone. I will keep at it though...

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3882027
07/09/13 01:30 AM
07/09/13 01:30 AM
Missouri
G
gnr Offline OP
trapper
gnr  Offline OP
trapper
G

Missouri
Update: Day 16 and no visible mole activity since victim #7 which was on Day 11. I think it's over unless the heat is driving them deeper. I will give it until this weekend and then pull my traps if I have not seen any more activity. Wooohoooo!!!

Side note: On 2 different nights last week, while checking my mole traps in the evening after dark, I have seen 2 small bats. One was barely moving on the ground and one was not moving and hanging on the trunk of a small tree about 2 feet up. Both were gone when I checked the following day. Any ideas what they were doing so close to the ground?

Re: Mole novice needs help to avoid insane asylum [Re: gnr] #3882114
07/09/13 08:01 AM
07/09/13 08:01 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
My guess is they arent ready to fly here for another couple of weeks or so give or take. They got out of the roost site nearby and crawled to the tree across the lawn and that is as far as they could make it. Unless they have a roost cavity in the tree possibly.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread