ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Flying squirrels #3449009
11/28/12 08:27 PM
11/28/12 08:27 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline OP
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline OP
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I know next to nothing about them. Only one I have seem in the wild, I took out of a ladies living room. Caught it by hand. She called me a couple of days ago to tell me she has another one. What is a good bait and trap to set in her living room to catch the other one? Thank you for any help.
Jim

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3449054
11/28/12 08:44 PM
11/28/12 08:44 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Cheap way if not protected is a rat trap I make and use a fruity bait that seems to draw them in quicker than anything that I have used.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3449124
11/28/12 09:08 PM
11/28/12 09:08 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Same house? You are dealing with a colony 10-40 of them:) They like the high tight spots, check the attic for toilets. The toilets will look likes piles of mouse droppings usually very dark. You can usually scare a few up crawling around the attic also. They like to get in at the same places bat do, they will chew a bit also. Check the vent screens flyers will cut a nearly perfect circle in the screen. They are pretty much on par with bats in difficulty to deal with. I believe that fliers are a little harder to deal with because they will chew.

We need a special permit for them, but Rat traps work great, Rat traps in boxes work best for me. I use wcs squirrel past along with black sunflower seeds. Put the traps near the toilets,where they are sleeping , and where they enter or exit. It is not uncommon for the fliers to disappear for a few days after you do the attic inspection. They will come back just wait them out, they are not hard to trap out.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3449282
11/28/12 09:55 PM
11/28/12 09:55 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Jim I have three podcasts that should help you in my podcast archives.
Personally rat traps and black sunflower seeds have always worked for me.

Flying Squirrels & Bats-With David Kondrup II
http://squirrelremoval.us/podcasts/flying-squirrels-bats-with-david-kondrup-ii/

Kirk Lapierre Discusses Flying Squirrels
http://squirrelremoval.us/podcasts/kirk-lapierre-discusses-flying-squirrels/

The Secrets Of Flying Squirrel Removal 2011
http://www.blubrry.com/wildlifecontrol/1218998/the-secrets-of-flying-squirrel-removal-2011/

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3450628
11/29/12 04:52 PM
11/29/12 04:52 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

Jim
We do ALOT of Flyer work. Set up at the entry points of the house. Small cage traps and snap traps. Sunflower seeds and p-butter. I do about all of the work out side. If its a shingle roof the entry can be a little hard to find sometimes. Check the drip edges. They have such a small amount of body fat that they don't make it through the night in a cage trap this time of year. I been getting around 5 flyers out of houses lately. When you start getting those big numbers of flyers is during January and June. Not saying you it couldn't happen now.
If it's a metal roof there will be ALOT of exclusion work. I had a client today ask. "About how many holes you think??" I said "Oh I don't know 500ish!"

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3450785
11/29/12 06:17 PM
11/29/12 06:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jim, since you have so few in your area, I'm going to guess that they are protected. In Wisconsin, flying squirrels are on the protected list, which means you can't even live-trap them. ( So are woodchucks, which makes this the most violated trapping law in the world, I guess )

Flyers are the wimpiest animals I have ever seen. They have no protection from predators and any inclement weather will kill them in your trap. Despite that, I find flyers absolutely fascinating and take all of mine to a rehabber that releases them in their proper environment, I guess.

A repeating trap over the hole is recommended but the most flyers out of a single home, were caught one at a time using Rob's Squirrel Paste. The half inch by half inch squirrel cages that WCS sells seem to work the best for us, but we have had good success with the all metal three by three by ten inch rodent trap made by Tomahawk and Safeguard. Hope this helps.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3450866
11/29/12 06:58 PM
11/29/12 06:58 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I use several small cage traps like the 4x4x18" rat/chipmunk traps set back to back along several walls.I set these, then go thru the suspected hiding room looking under and around moving things around. Just like blind setting or trail setting for any other animal they will just run in all by themselves doing their wall running routine.

I dont use bait in such a senario set up as I find it isnt necessary. If they are there I usually catch them in 15 mins or so if they are in fact there in the areas of the search.If not I move room to room with the same proceedure.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3451122
11/29/12 08:50 PM
11/29/12 08:50 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Jim, since you have so few in your area, I'm going to guess that they are protected. In Wisconsin, flying squirrels are on the protected list, which means you can't even live-trap them. ( So are woodchucks, which makes this the most violated trapping law in the world, I guess )

Woodchucks???? Why?

We have a restriction on Northern flyers but no restriction on Southern flers.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3451266
11/29/12 09:42 PM
11/29/12 09:42 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline OP
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline OP
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Thank you everyone all for your help and replies.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3453990
12/01/12 12:20 PM
12/01/12 12:20 PM
Hastings, Michigan
Frank Endsley Offline
trapper
Frank Endsley  Offline
trapper

Hastings, Michigan
Jim, I had flying squirrel's in my attic and caught them quite easily with a couple of Havahearts using sliced apples as bait. It took about 20 minutes to catch the first one and kept catching them almost every day for a week. Red squirrel's are another matter entirely.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3453998
12/01/12 12:30 PM
12/01/12 12:30 PM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
Find the entrance hole. Screw a colony trap over it and collect the whole colony in the morning. Leave up for a few extra days to be sure then seal the hole.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3454553
12/01/12 07:41 PM
12/01/12 07:41 PM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
Living room? Any chance there's a gas fireplace in there? Is there a good quality chimney cap on top of the flue? I do 2 or 3 each year that came down the uncapped flue, I'm guessing in a search for the source of that warm spot caused by the pilot light and the damper that must be blocked open slightly by fire code. Look for scratches in the soot around damper assembly, dirty footprints on light colored hearth or surrounding floor. That'll help narrow down to, or eliminate, the chimney as the entry point.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3454655
12/01/12 08:29 PM
12/01/12 08:29 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline OP
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline OP
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Bluebill, will they go in and out this time of year? Or do they stay inside until spring?

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3457474
12/03/12 09:31 AM
12/03/12 09:31 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
They will go out. I see them scatter year round from my bird feeder when I turn on the flood lights. Even in the dead of winter.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: bluebill] #3489208
12/17/12 07:42 AM
12/17/12 07:42 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: bluebill
Find the entrance hole. Screw a colony trap over it and collect the whole colony in the morning. Leave up for a few extra days to be sure then seal the hole.

*Customers photo, first days check.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3490519
12/17/12 06:43 PM
12/17/12 06:43 PM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
You lucky guys. Only once have I captured more than one flyer in a colony trap. I see photos posted with 1/2 dozen or more in a colony routinely, but apparently my local flyers are too shy or too smart to file into a colony one right after another. On the other hand, my local grays have no problem packing themselves into my colonies. I regularly get 3-4 juveniles at the same time, and several times had the whole darn attic full (6-7 grays) packed behind the second door of my colony traps. Getting that mid-trap flapper door opened with that many squirrels in there is always a trick with my colonies that don't have a slide off rear release door.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3490919
12/17/12 08:44 PM
12/17/12 08:44 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Kevin, just keep putting up those colony traps. One of these days there will be two dozen flyers packed in one of them. ( Don't forget to charge by the animal )

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3490935
12/17/12 08:48 PM
12/17/12 08:48 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Our average catch is 7 in a colony trap.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3495235
12/19/12 01:03 PM
12/19/12 01:03 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Kevin, just keep putting up those colony traps. One of these days there will be two dozen flyers packed in one of them. ( Don't forget to charge by the animal )

grin

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3497560
12/20/12 02:39 AM
12/20/12 02:39 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Why trap them at all . Why not just exclude and oneway them out . There's going to be mice and bats in there most likly . Why remove them from there area as long as there out of the house there harmless . Awesome animal by the way . Love them little buggers .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Peskycritter] #3497670
12/20/12 07:14 AM
12/20/12 07:14 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Why trap them at all . Why not just exclude and oneway them out . There's going to be mice and bats in there most likly . Why remove them from there area as long as there out of the house there harmless . Awesome animal by the way . Love them little buggers .

I think customers like to see results,so if you catch them in a multi catch,you can still do the exclusion,show them the critters and keep them alive.I haven't had any calls for them this season yet,but then it really hasn't got cold yet.when it stays in the 20s for a while thats when I start getting calls for them.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3498350
12/20/12 01:55 PM
12/20/12 01:55 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
That's interesting you get more calls after it gets cold , the animal just gets better and better . Is that the northern flyer or southern and how do you tell them apart . Would these anImals be indangered from pest control company's placing poison in attics . Reason I ask is there protected here . Trapping really isn't a option

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3498508
12/20/12 03:10 PM
12/20/12 03:10 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Some wood sided cedar and T-111 type siding on homes that have historical flying squirrel inhabitation they will eventually chew back in with exclusion only methods. At least they do in my service areas. Good job security as long as the customer doesn't catch on to the squirrels routine.

These same homes get hit by woodpeckers also, so they start the ball rolling then the squirrels take advantage of an easy entry opportunity.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: Jim Bethell] #3498870
12/20/12 06:17 PM
12/20/12 06:17 PM
shirley,long island New york
R
rockintheocean Offline
trapper
rockintheocean  Offline
trapper
R

shirley,long island New york
I just finished(well I thought I did) a flying squirrel job.At first this customer had one get in her oil burner.They of course thought it was just a baby squirrel ,they also found droppings in a closet that is the only attic type space thats accessable.So she calls a local pest control company.They come in said she had mice ,put down poison blocks and left.Three days later shes calling me .Now they have found a second "baby squirrel "in the burner and there is a harrable smell coming from a closet in a roo on the main floor.Si I show up look around in this storage space and said you have flying squirrels.No baby squirrels this time of year,the anount of droppings and how they were pilled up in areas tipped me off to that .Then we head outside .Her roof top on one side by the garage comes down to within 5 ft of the ground,i notice scratches on the corner of the house ,so Ilook undr the facier and they have this screen venting system for the in accessable attic space.Sure enough there is a quarter size hole cut through in an almost perfect circle.I said that where they are entering .I pull down a ladder and inspect the whole roof line ,I find one more hole like that in the backwhere the roof is just 6 inches from under the opening same as by garage .So I set snap traps in a void in that storage space that was hiden by insulation.Was able to look up over this wall and see that there was attic space ,just no way to get to it.After setting a half dozen rat traps ,two small live traps ,and finding two dead flyers behind the wall in the closet i tell her that getting up in that attic space would be a good idea.She agrees so I cut an opening in the master bath closet.Well I get up there and its a mess .I suggest a clean out as once I finish trapping ,and exclusion that there is a chance that more would come.She agrees again .Now going on the second week doing this by myself 6 hours a day with a couple days not going mixed in Iget to this piont .I only trap one in a snap trap .With the two that were dead in closet and two from the burner,there was just sounds of one or two left.I put up hardware cloth over all this venting of the attic.Lest the first hole open for a colony trap and removed all traps from inside . hand the bill .Won't say what I charged ,but give me some ball park figure what any of you would have charged .Keep in mind I spent two days on the attic clean out,vaccuming and disinfecting.One gets caught in the coloney trap ,Yeah they say ,job is done ,they pay me the balance ,I suggest leaving the colony trap until weekend to make sure.Now I get two calls one yesterday ,she is hearing more noise .Can I leave it up longer.I said I was planning on leaving it till you didn't hear any more noise for a while.Now today she said she was walking the dog out back and found some insulation right below the hole in back where I said they were entering .Now she wants me to come back and look to see if the chewed through some place close to that .Would one flyer in the colony trap keep others from entering ,and would they find some place else to leave? This job is killing me thought I did everything possable now I have this lady thinking that my work was not good enough.

Re: Flying squirrels [Re: 330-Trapper] #3514010
12/27/12 12:55 AM
12/27/12 12:55 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Scott,
Is that one of your spring loaded doors or is it a gravity door like a regular muskrat door colony trap?

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Flying squirrels [Re: trapperpaw] #3514248
12/27/12 09:03 AM
12/27/12 09:03 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted By: trapperpaw
Scott,
Is that one of your spring loaded doors or is it a gravity door like a regular muskrat door colony trap?

trapperpaw, that is one of The Multi-Catch Excluder Traps we make. Mostly I sell them now with rear transfer doors added.

Here's another shot.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread