ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3349314
10/02/12 12:38 PM
10/02/12 12:38 PM
Coweta county,Georgia
csims723 Offline
trapper
csims723  Offline
trapper

Coweta county,Georgia
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
A two foot Koi will sell for between $300 and $7000. At that price, I would imagine the fine for killing the raptors would be a bargain. How come he can't get a permit? I know lots of guys that raise game birds who have got them. The thought also occured to me that netting would be a permanent fix. Our expensive ponds are all netted.

Paul,
He can get the permits for this its just a long process to get approval. He has a yearly permit for any birds that are not raptors. Raptors are a seperate permit and only issued for 2 weeks. We have access to a trap built to live catch hawks but can't use them with out the land owner filing for the permits. I told him that if he filed all the proper paperwork we would act as his agent. I tried to sell him on the netting over the ponds but he said the price to cover four ponds this size was cost prohibitive. I thought like you with average price per fish was 2000.00 and cost per net would be about 3,000.00. I would spring for the nets and watch the investment grow in saved breeders.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: andyva] #3349317
10/02/12 12:41 PM
10/02/12 12:41 PM
Coweta county,Georgia
csims723 Offline
trapper
csims723  Offline
trapper

Coweta county,Georgia
Originally Posted By: andyva
Does anybody know if motion activated sprinklers will do anything for heron? No koi here, but lots of trout farms. Saw a female mink once that would catch her limit, and lay them all out in a row. When she was done fishing she would carry them one at a time to the woods. You could almost set your watch by her.

I was told that a Heron decoy worked for this unless its mating season. Something about herons staking claim to a pond. If one is already there others will fly over and keep going. I have not tried this personally but I can tell you that if one is at the pond on my property fly overs just keep going.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3349671
10/02/12 05:06 PM
10/02/12 05:06 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
I've seen up to thirty herons leave a trout facility at various times of the year. Maybe if they only see one they figure there is not much to eat. Of course, grizzlies are solitary until the salmon spawn so a fish dinner can change things. If I reccomended a heron decoy I'm afraid I would get hung from a fence to scare herons!

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3349714
10/02/12 05:35 PM
10/02/12 05:35 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Andy, man I gotta tell you that the post about the mink laying out the fish and then carrying then to the woods is the absolute best piece of info I have gotten on " What the heck happens to the fish?" My customers have been asking that question over and over again. Thanks!

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3350302
10/02/12 10:13 PM
10/02/12 10:13 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
A buck mink one time caught four 1 1/2 pounders and had them laid out beside him on the metal grate he was hanging from by his back feet. Problem was it was about 5 below and his back feet froze to the grate. Must be a common trick for them, I always figured it was to get the most fish and get out as quick as possible, before the coons come.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3350615
10/03/12 07:29 AM
10/03/12 07:29 AM
northeast MI
dew Offline
trapper
dew  Offline
trapper

northeast MI
I fixed my issues with thing getting in my koi pond. I just brought it inside lol.

now we can enloy it all year round.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3351386
10/03/12 05:09 PM
10/03/12 05:09 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
That is one beautiful Koi pond, Dew! I'll bet you also have a high mounted vent fan to keep the moisture level down.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3351408
10/03/12 05:25 PM
10/03/12 05:25 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Here's a new combination, client with a leaking koi pond due to pocket gopher burrows. She didn't like the service call price I quoted but it ain't cheap to drive 60 miles one way that includes 10 miles of gravel road.

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3351425
10/03/12 05:38 PM
10/03/12 05:38 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, you'll get a kick out of this: we have one road that is three miles long and it is the only gravel road left in the county. About every four years the people on that road have to fight to keep it from being paved. Many are horse owners, all are rich, and many are customers. If I can drive slow, so can everybody else!

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3351435
10/03/12 05:48 PM
10/03/12 05:48 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Paul,

I just heard some folks in a small village here (very affluent village) telling me the same thing, they like not having a county
or town maintained road because if it is made into a county road they will straighten it, cut down about 20 huge cottonwood trees
(something we in the desert value for some shade!) and speed up the folks in cars speeding passed their horse riding and dog walking!

Dave,

The p. gopher koi pond sounds like an interesting version of the p. gopher livestock impoundment situations. Bet when the water all runs
out their tunnels she'll re-evaluate the cost option!

I have lots of people who have p. gophers in their irrigated horse pasture and many of them never put 2 and 2 together to realize how much water
is heading out away from the roots and plants. I saw one where the gopher tunnels caused about 1/2 of their irrigated water to go under a dirt riding arena and end up in a ditch where nothing desired was growing and just end up wasted, till we discussed what was going on. Didn't even have major gopher populations, just enough to do the job and keep the tunnels open!

Justin

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3351445
10/03/12 05:53 PM
10/03/12 05:53 PM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

I would say about 15-20% of my driving is on gravel roads and I understand their wanting to keep it gravel. A gravel road is less traveled and is hoof friendlier than pavement. Our gravel roads get so washboarded I've had my truck go into a bounce that turned me sideways and I was only going 10MPH. I have what I call a rough road charge, it's not itemized on the bill but it is figured into the overall price. One road was so bad I had to have my doors readjusted by the body shop, it shook them loose.
Justin, our outdoor koi pond season is just about over, it snowed today. She's putting the house on the market so I'll bet it's one of those hidden problems that doeasn't make it to the disclosure statement.

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 10/03/12 05:56 PM.
Re: Koi Ponds [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #3351498
10/03/12 06:22 PM
10/03/12 06:22 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
smile

I know what you mean about the washboard, when my wife and I met we lived and worked on a ranch in NE Utah. The roads were as you mention, you knew that any bolt or piece of gear not strapped down was likely vibrating its way off the vehicle! Let alone the slide outs in corners and such, as you say, very dangerous and take extra time just to drive down without your teeth rattling out!

I see some of those out here in NM, but most of our ranch roads its just washouts you have to watch, not too many gravel roads, more clay and sand, which presents its own issues!

The disclosure deal makes me laugh, I just finished a very tightrope style walk between a sellers agent and seller and the buyers agent and buyer about bats that were supposedly never noticed in the siding.

Where the seller went wrong, just a week before they took over the house and had the inspection done, she took a can of great stuff to that side of the house only to seal out the bats all over. The statement to me was "that foam is used commonly to seal out air leaks and insulate."

My response.... "c'mon now, if she did that for that purpose she better be able to explain to these folks or a judge why the other sides of the house with the same siding aren't foamed!

smile

People are crazy!

Re: Koi Ponds [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3355363
10/05/12 10:46 PM
10/05/12 10:46 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
For my ER (grab 'n go) jobs I charge based on time. After the last two, I'm thinking about starting the clock when I leave pavement.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Koi Ponds [Re: andyva] #3356405
10/06/12 07:53 PM
10/06/12 07:53 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted By: andyva
Does anybody know if motion activated sprinklers will do anything for heron?

Work like a charm for me! Also, for coon and other critters, too.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread