General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
coon callin #3292702
08/26/12 10:20 PM
08/26/12 10:20 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
how many on here call coons during the daytime?

"Keep your traps free"
Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292706
08/26/12 10:25 PM
08/26/12 10:25 PM
kansas city
K
kctrapper Offline
trapper
kctrapper  Offline
trapper
K

kansas city
Me

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292728
08/26/12 10:40 PM
08/26/12 10:40 PM
nebraska
B
buck hunter7 Offline
trapper
buck hunter7  Offline
trapper
B

nebraska
me 2 lol

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292732
08/26/12 10:43 PM
08/26/12 10:43 PM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
how good of luck do you have doing it.

"Keep your traps free"
Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292776
08/26/12 11:14 PM
08/26/12 11:14 PM
NW Missouri
bob56 Offline
trapper
bob56  Offline
trapper

NW Missouri
Been averaging 50 or so for the last 3 seasons.

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
- Thomas Jefferson

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292876
08/27/12 12:46 AM
08/27/12 12:46 AM
Southern Illinois
B
bowman814 Offline
trapper
bowman814  Offline
trapper
B

Southern Illinois
tried it a couple of times. no luck. any advice bob56?

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292914
08/27/12 03:03 AM
08/27/12 03:03 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
I'd like to give this a go...

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: coon callin [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #3292922
08/27/12 04:22 AM
08/27/12 04:22 AM
Valparaiso, Ne
The Bandit Offline
trapper
The Bandit  Offline
trapper

Valparaiso, Ne
Bowman, Here is a little info that may help you get started

Techniques to call coons and equipment

Electronic caller – preferably digital with download capabilities and remote control.
Tape callers and others will work in a pinch.
I Discourage the use of a mouth call for safety reasons.
Although coons can and have been called using prey distress sounds, i.e., distressed birds, coon vocalizations are MUCH more effective.
Unlike the non-confrontational coyote or cat, except when pushed, coons enjoy a good dust up and will readily investigate other coons fighting.
Firepower!
No need for long-range rifles here.
I prefer a semi-auto.22 Mag (Volquartsen) shooting a 40 grain hollow point although I have taken hundreds with a bolt action Marlin.
In my experience the .17 HMR has too much velocity and to light of bullet for calling distances usually less than 25 yards. (this results in splatter without penetration on head shots) The HMR will shine for shots over 75 yards.
A .22LR can also be used in a pinch and I recommend the CCI Velocitors.
Camouflage
Not as critical as in close-range coyotes or bobcat calling but necessary none the less. Coons are primarily nocturnal and have great visual acuity. Very much able to catch small movements.
Facemasks and gloves are used as with coyotes to conceal your face and hands.
Coons!
You need den sites like big burly cottonwood trees with holes and busted off limbs, brush piles, abandoned rural buildings, old beaver dens along creeks, rivers and drainage ditches.

Locating coons
Like coyotes, coons lay up during the daylight hours.
Unlike coyotes which will bed down wherever they are when the sun comes up, coons return to their dens making them easier to pinpoint.

What time is best?
Some guys prefer to call at first light and late in the afternoon, like with coyotes.
We’ve had our best results from 10 a.m., through mid-day to 2-3 p.m., when coyote calling generally slows down.
Because of this, we’ve incorporated coon calling into our multi-species approach to calling by hunting coyotes or cats from sun up until wind speeds or temperatures become unfavorable for calling them then switch to coons. We’ve easily called coons in wind speeds of 30-40 mph, with temperatures as warm as 80-degrees and as cold as 20-degrees, although temperatures above 30-degrees are usually more productive unless well into a protracted cold period.
Moon phase? Many won’t hunt coyotes under certain phases of moon when they’re convinced it’s a waste of time. Coon responses don’t seem to depend upon moon phases, moonrise, or set time. This does not hold true on my coon trapline.

Hunting alone…
Place your caller on the opposite side of tree from the den opening and position yourself to one side or the other where you can see the coon exit the hole.
Hunting with a partner…
Place caller at base of tree on the side opposite from den opening, or away from where you think the coon is entering and leaving the den site.
Position you and your gunner at right hand angles to the hole, with the base of the tree being the center of the “clock”, and where one of you can see the opening while the other can see the backside of the tree.
This eliminates the potential for crossfire situations in close proximity to one another.
Pay attention to the wind direction as I have witnessed coons using the wind and you can see them tipping their nose in the air and back in the hole they go to not be seen again that day.
Before hitting the “GO” button…
Position yourself where you can see, but are concealed from a coon looking out.
Make sure your partner is in position and ready to go.
Shoulder your gun and have the den hole in your sights, and be ready to shoot (safety on, finger NOT on trigger).
GO!!!

Stand length…
Unlike with coyotes where a stand is 15-30 minutes, and bobcats, where they can go as long as 30-45, or longer…
Coon stands can last as short as seconds to a maximum length of 10 minutes.
If nothing has shown in 10 minutes, move on.
Calling coons is all or nothing if after 6-8 stands with no responses, it’s safe to say that it’s a bad day for calling. Find something else to do.

Caller, Sounds and Why
I strongly encourage the use of an electronic call or portable tape player with adequate volume.
The caller can be positioned away from the gunner(s) – definite safety precaution! I would hate to have my lips on the receiving end of some of the call attacks that I have witnessed.
Directs coon’s attention away from gunner(s) during their approach.
A decoy will add the “authentication factor” and many times drive that stubborn old boar out charging and on the attack!

Sounds
Distress sounds (Bird and rabbit sounds)
Coon fight sounds are much more effective than prey distress sounds
Portrays not only a fight by two or more coons, but portrays an intrusion into the resident coon’s defended territory.
Passive sounds Coon kittens, Coon with bird distress, Coon chatters
Aggressive coon sounds Agitated boar growls, Sow fighting, Fighting coons – growls and squeals

Sequencing Sounds
Begin with passive sounds to avoid intimidating juvenile coons.
Coon chatters, coon with bird, coon kits etc
Watch for slow, cautious responses by “peekers” young coons that peer out and often hold up without exiting den holes.
Continue with passive sounds to play on coon’s curiosity. Sit tight and let them become comfortable with the sound.
Cycle through passive sounds to find one that elicits more curiosity and, hopefully, a full response.
Watch for multiples, as litters will often respond together.
Indicators that the coon may be committing include extending itself further from the den hole to try and see the source of the sound, or testing the wind for smells to indicate its source.
If a coon appears then withdraws continue calling while watching the first den hole. Be looking for other holes in the tree as coons will withdraw, then reappear elsewhere for a better look for the source of the sounds.

If nothing appears to passive sounds escalate to aggressive sounds
Fighting coons, Kit Distress, Fighting sow, agitated boar etc.
Alternate between two or more aggressive sounds to portray chaos and pandemonium.
Sounds involving mature boars and sows can elicit VERY aggressive and urgent responses. BE READY TO SHOOT!!!
When using aggressive sounds, be prepared for responding adult to turn their attention toward you if they see you move. Unlike coyotes or bobcats, coons WILL attempt to attack you, not realizing who or what you are. They’re coming to a fight and they can and will mistake you for the intruder in their territory.
Coons respond in one of two manners: fast or slow.
Fast response – can be immediate and a full blown charge down the tree or from a nearby tree or other unseen den site.
Slow response – can involve leaving the den and holding up on a branch or elsewhere in the tree, or moving around behind the tree and locking up.

Setting up

Avoid all crossfire situations
Once you start, things can get hectic and it can be easy to lose track of where everyone is at.
Sitting still
Although relatively uncommon, larger coons have been known to try to attack when responding. Be aware of your surroundings, be alert to anything going on around or behind you, and be prepared to react. They don’t call them “Little Grizzlies” for nothing!
Wait for coons to completely clear the den opening.
Take only those shots that ensure a clean kill. It is far better to miss an opportunity at a coon that won’t clear the hole, rather than shooting one that goes back in and you try climbing the tree to retrieve it and fall.
Any coon that gets back into the den to die will foul the den and render it un-hunt able the remainder of the season. Good shots only!

How I got started calling coons

I was selling some fur at our country buyer (Turkey Creek Fur) back in the late 80’s when I overheard Roger talking to another customer about the success that guys were having calling at night using Dennis Kirks Coon Puppies 2.
Well I bought my first tape that day and just used a small boom box as my caller. I was having great luck calling at night for the first few years then one day I was calling crows with a buddy and we were close to a grove of cottonwoods that I had called coons out of at night. I suggested sneaking up to those trees and give it a try in the daytime and two coons came boiling out of one of the trees just as fast as they ever did at night, two coons hit the ground and I have been hooked every since.
In 2004 we started filming our Crumblin Coons DVD to share some of our coon calling experiences.

Re: coon callin [Re: The Bandit] #3292955
08/27/12 06:36 AM
08/27/12 06:36 AM
indiana
W
wamp Offline OP
trapper
wamp  Offline OP
trapper
W

indiana
Thanks Bandit for the info

"Keep your traps free"
Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292966
08/27/12 07:16 AM
08/27/12 07:16 AM
Minnesota
Born Offline
trapper
Born  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Bandit did you write the piece for the "Trapper Predator Caller"?

I thought is was very interesting and will give it a try when the fur primes up.

Help yourself.

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3292971
08/27/12 07:27 AM
08/27/12 07:27 AM
se SD
rags57078 Offline
Humorist
rags57078  Offline
Humorist

se SD
Bandit Thanks for taking the time to type this great info out

Off in my own world

Fish on !!!!!!!

47 years in this game of trapping
Re: coon callin [Re: The Bandit] #3292992
08/27/12 07:59 AM
08/27/12 07:59 AM
northeast ohio
B
bowbrown Offline
trapper
bowbrown  Offline
trapper
B

northeast ohio
Thanks bandit. You got me interested sounds like there could be some action.

MOLON LABE
Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293003
08/27/12 08:17 AM
08/27/12 08:17 AM
Nebraska
C
CAMOMAN Offline
trapper
CAMOMAN  Offline
trapper
C

Nebraska
Should also add that it only seems to work in certain areas. maybe with less hunting pressure? I have tried numerous times over the last 2-3 years at this daytime calling and have not even seen a coon peek out, ever. Maybe about 100 stands and called plenty of den sites with coon in them. did an experiment one day. went out and called 25 den locations in the daytime with no luck went to the EXACT same den location that SAME night and killed 17 coons. Just sayin if it works for ya great, but if i don't it won't cause i've tried everything. I can call up a coyote like nothing so i'm no rookie.

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293008
08/27/12 08:25 AM
08/27/12 08:25 AM
kansas city
K
kctrapper Offline
trapper
kctrapper  Offline
trapper
K

kansas city
What part of Nebraska are you in camoman?

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293019
08/27/12 08:42 AM
08/27/12 08:42 AM
Southern Illinois
B
bowman814 Offline
trapper
bowman814  Offline
trapper
B

Southern Illinois
thats a ton of info bandit, thanks!

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293026
08/27/12 08:55 AM
08/27/12 08:55 AM
se SD
rags57078 Offline
Humorist
rags57078  Offline
Humorist

se SD
I hit the notify to see if this can be saved in the archives

Off in my own world

Fish on !!!!!!!

47 years in this game of trapping
Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293029
08/27/12 08:59 AM
08/27/12 08:59 AM
South Central Nebraska age 71
tmrschessie Offline
trapper
tmrschessie  Offline
trapper

South Central Nebraska age 71
A trapper/hunter that I put up fur for...took just over 300 day time calling last year.

Re: coon callin [Re: wamp] #3293042
08/27/12 09:20 AM
08/27/12 09:20 AM
Louisiana
N
N-R Trapper Offline
trapper
N-R Trapper  Offline
trapper
N

Louisiana
Here,in Louisiana,some hunter/trappers will go out on a clear,cold day and shoot them from the bigger trees,stretched out on the limbs,sunning themselves.They will use binoculars to search the trees for them and use a .22 rimfire,with a scope,to shoot them.Check your regulations,before you do this,I do not know if this is legal in some states.

Re: coon callin [Re: tmrschessie] #3293047
08/27/12 09:24 AM
08/27/12 09:24 AM
kansas city
K
kctrapper Offline
trapper
kctrapper  Offline
trapper
K

kansas city
Originally Posted By: tmrschessie
A trapper/hunter that I put up fur for...took just over 300 day time calling last year.

That's a bunch. I'd be curious how many miles he put on his truck to kill that many.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91