ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
This is really nice , stupid people #3198271
06/24/12 01:04 AM
06/24/12 01:04 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
2 Men Face Charges After Killing Dog in Trap
Jun 22, 2012 1:20 PM EST
Two men could face felony charges for illegally using dangerous traps set to kill skunks.

But instead, one killed a family dog.

Animal hair remains on the heavy metal frame of what's called a conibear trap.

The same trap animal control officers say killed a forty pound dog named Kye.

"I'm just really depressed because we lost our best friend, you can't put a price tag on your best friend and we'll never see her again," said Jason Greenman, Kye's owner.

Jason and Heather Greenman say they were out when 18 month old Kye got out of their yard and caught in the powerful trap.

Ingham county animal control officer Timothy Martin responded to the Lansing neighborhood after someone reported hearing a dog in distress. But by the time he arrived, it was too late.

"It was very upsetting when you first saw it. And it was a little hard to keep my composure together," said Officer Timothy Martin with Ingham County.

The trap was set on this stake between two homes. Animal control officials believe the dog struggled for its life as evidenced by scratch marks left on the sidewalk from the trap as the dog tried to come home.

"It did look like he tried fighting for himself. I do believe there were signs of a struggle," Martin said.

Martin says two men set a pair of traps next door to the Greenman's.

Greenman says he saw them that morning and was very concerned.

"Our neighbor, she contacted her landlord that day and told him he needed to remove these as soon as possible because she didn't know what they were and I knew what they were," Greenman said.

Officials with the Department of Natural Resources say it's against state law to set these traps out of season and on the ground. Animal control officials are now seeking charges.

"I think it was just very negligent of the person that set the trap there in a public neighborhood where kids, anyone could really access it," said Martin.

The Greenmans say they're fortunate their young children weren't hurt, but now want justice  for their beloved dog killed in a trap that should never have been set.

"It should be forbidden. I mean there are children in the area. I mean that's just a heinous thing," said Greenman.

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198485
06/24/12 10:05 AM
06/24/12 10:05 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
So, two men set a couple of conibears between two houses?

What in the Sam Hill were they thinking? What were they after? Why conibears?

In my humble opinion there's no excuse for such negligence! I'd love to see these two men be burned a new one! Quietly!

This ain't gonna look good for the rest of us.

Muddawg
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198491
06/24/12 10:12 AM
06/24/12 10:12 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

It was on television.....this was just the text transcript.

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198509
06/24/12 10:54 AM
06/24/12 10:54 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
The media played it Up,,,,,this is not the practice of a WCO ,,,, but of an Idiot....

Even in a state were it is legal,,,, I would worn against using kill traps if there is even the remote possibility of an unfortunate incident occurring

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198550
06/24/12 11:23 AM
06/24/12 11:23 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
It's at least nice to see the DNR stepped up and said they were illegal . I can see all kinds of stupid . Why are setting baited 220 on dry land that's not in a dog proof box . Sounds like the dog owner just let there dog run loose . Even after he seen the traps set . The people that set the traps will be charged with , no trapping lic , setting bait conibears in a public area . Attempted removel of wildlife without a control permit . No small game lic . Sounds like the county will be adding some charges . It's still a major kick in the teeth for all trappers even if they clearly have no clue on how to trap . This is one of the reasons the Michigan trappers have been trying to get mandatory trapper education . I know this would have done nothing to prevent this .I think the whole bunch should be charged . Poeple just let there dogs run . The dog could have been hit by a car or attacked some little kid . Theres countless kids that get there face ripped of by dogs running loose .

Free Trapper
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198739
06/24/12 01:56 PM
06/24/12 01:56 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Pesky, I realy think we should place blame where it belongs. The tards who set the baited 220 on the ground in a residental area have truly earned the tickets they are getting. We cant blame the dog for being a dog, and the dogs owners should be getting a ticket for letting the dog roam, but if its anything like my own dog, he stays in my yard without a chain. Not to say he wouldnt go to the neighbors if he spilled some beaver castor or fox urine. Yes, it is going to reflect on all of us, and NWCOA and the University of Nebraska will use it as a tool to make it mandatory that all the controllers in Michigan buy the product they are selling.
Even though the guys were not permitted, or licensed. I wonder if all drivers in Michigan get looked at the same way when one of them get a DUI?

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3198992
06/24/12 06:53 PM
06/24/12 06:53 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Seems to me that there is a lot of blame to go around in this case.

First and foremost, the idiots who set a killing trap without precautions for unintended catch. It's easy enough to exclude pets from killing sets and true trappers know that.

Second, the witnesses who watched these yahoos setting the traps should have immediately reported it.

And third, no, the dog should not have been roaming free, HOWEVER... Didn't the report say that the dog was usually contained within the fence? We all try to keep our pets enclosed or where they can't get into trouble but sometimes crap happens. Occasionally a dog will jump a fence. Sometimes they break a chain. Even those invisible fences get crossed from time to time.

I'm less likely to blame the dog owner because I know myself how hard it can be at times to keep Fido at home.

But the yahoos doing the trapping should be nailed to the cross and punished at the full extent of the law. What they did there is no excuse for and it makes us ALL look bad. We should let the press know that they ARE NOT real trappers and have nothing to do with the rest of us.

I can't comment any more. I'm just getting mad at the thought of it. mad

Muddawg
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199023
06/24/12 07:30 PM
06/24/12 07:30 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Anyone can buy a trap.

Or a chain saw, or a car, or rat poison, or anti freeze, or alcohol, or a baseball bat, or a pit bull, or a thong.................

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199057
06/24/12 07:55 PM
06/24/12 07:55 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I can't begin to describe what I'd do to these goobers if it had been my dog caught
...but it would be done with a blunt knife.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199177
06/24/12 09:38 PM
06/24/12 09:38 PM
Sherburne county MN
N
NotMuchToSay Offline
trapper
NotMuchToSay  Offline
trapper
N

Sherburne county MN
Yeah these two are idiots and should be dealt with as such but, control your dogs & if you can't you should not be allowed to own one. Period. If every dog owner kept their dogs on their own property we trappers would'nt have these issues and headlines to deal with that tarnish are name.

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199223
06/24/12 10:04 PM
06/24/12 10:04 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
It's not good we almost lost are conibears like three years ago . If you need to make cubbie sets on dry land this are law and how everybody should be doing it. , even if it's your land out in the middle of no where , also don't use fish or meat . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELrnVu-B1E4&feature=youtube_gdata_player .

Free Trapper
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: NotMuchToSay] #3199567
06/25/12 08:04 AM
06/25/12 08:04 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted By: Splitbelly
...control your dogs & if you can't you should not be allowed to own one. Period.

I can't agree with that.

Every dog is different. Some are easy to contain while others are next to impossible.

I, myself, had one, a sweet as sugar basset hound, that we could not keep at home without being put on a chain. I HATE chaining a dog! But she jumped the invisible fence, she would climb a regular fence and even with the chain, she made several escapes. She was too destructive to keep in the house and the older she got the harder she was to contain.

This is to say that, sometimes, no matter how you try to keep them contained, crap happens.

Then there are the working class dogs that you can't shut up. All types of hounds that have to be out and away from their handlers to do their job. A dog can't run a rabbit, chase a deer or tree a coon if he's in the pen or on a leash.

Around here, we have people who have dogs running loose in the pastures who's job it is to protect livestock from coyotes.

Sure. Anyone can contain some little taco dog or them little hair balls with feet, but other folks have real dogs. And with real dogs, sometime crap happens.

Muddawg

Muddawg
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199575
06/25/12 08:14 AM
06/25/12 08:14 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
More on that...

Once I had a line set up for coyotes. When I came back to check my line after the first night, I found that I had been very successful. I had caught a coon, a possum and a border collie. smirk

I didn't blame the dog for being caught. He was at home. I didn't blame his owner. She had no idea that I was in the area. I blamed myself for making that set in the first place. The set was a good 500 yards away from the house but I felt that it might attract a dog when I set it.

Luckily, I had the forethought to use a soft catch trap there and when I released the dog unharmed, I made a friend for life. He stayed at my side for the rest of that line, until we got back to the truck and I had to leave him.

Muddawg
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3199850
06/25/12 01:14 PM
06/25/12 01:14 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
And that is one of the problems that comes with selling traps to the general public from sporting goods stores. While on one hand we all like to see them on the shelves, There are way too many knuckleheads out there that don't know the laws or don't care.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3200491
06/25/12 09:49 PM
06/25/12 09:49 PM
Sherburne county MN
N
NotMuchToSay Offline
trapper
NotMuchToSay  Offline
trapper
N

Sherburne county MN
Muddawg,

Gonna have to call you out on this. Who is runnin who? Ever heard of an e-collar? Never heard of or seen a basset climb anything. How about puttin it in a covered run.

I understand a dog can't chase a coon, rabbit, deer, chained up, that's why ya take them out to hunt. Unless you let them "hunt" on their own while you're not around.

Hairballs or "real dogs" all can be controlled.

I understand stuff happens but, it's almost 99% preventable.

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3200509
06/25/12 10:02 PM
06/25/12 10:02 PM
Mississippi
C
Coyote Joe Offline
trapper
Coyote Joe  Offline
trapper
C

Mississippi
THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE...AND i KNOW FOR A FACT. MY UNCLE HAD SEVERAL POSSUMS CHEWING WIRES AND PVC PIPES UNDER HIS HOUSE. HE CALLED ME TO CATCH THEM. THE SMALL TOWN I LIVE IN HAS NO ANIMAL CONTROL AT ALL. WELL THE BACK YARD WAS FENCED IN SO NO ONE COULD GET TO THEM...OR SO I THOUGHT. I SET TWO 330S AT TWO OPEN ACCESS PANELS LEADING UNDER THE HOUSE. I CAUGHT THE FIRST POSSUM AND THEN THE YARD MAN! IT BARELY CAUGHT THE EDGE OF HIS FOOT SO IT DIDNT BREAK ANY BONES. LUCKLY I KNEW THE MAN REALLY WELL AND HE DIDNT PRESS CHARGES BUT I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, SET ANOTHER CONIBEAR IN A POPULATED AREA. BUT I WILL ASK THIS...WILL THEY FILE FELONY CHARGES FOR RUNNING OVER A DOG WITH YOUR CAR? I MEAN COME ON.

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3200542
06/25/12 10:26 PM
06/25/12 10:26 PM
Sherburne county MN
N
NotMuchToSay Offline
trapper
NotMuchToSay  Offline
trapper
N

Sherburne county MN
WHY ARE YOU YELLN'?

Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: NotMuchToSay] #3201965
06/26/12 11:45 PM
06/26/12 11:45 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Splitbelly
WHY ARE YOU YELLN' Splitbelly?

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

Yup, is serious. Need more information before we can take this apart, then we will discuss this here.

Go slow, take in all the facts and observations.

Last edited by Phil Nichols; 06/26/12 11:51 PM.
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3201986
06/26/12 11:59 PM
06/26/12 11:59 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Its most likly my fault some how . I start a thread and people start yelling .

Free Trapper
Re: This is really nice , stupid people [Re: Peskycritter] #3202048
06/27/12 01:32 AM
06/27/12 01:32 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

In the end, nobody would be yelling if Those yahoos didnt make the sets the way they did. Anyone concur? Dogs break loose everywhere, yada yada yada, but that trap is a dangerous tool in the tool box and the trapper has to accept responsability for everything it does. Just like guns dont kill people, people kill people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread