ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3150813
05/07/12 04:58 PM
05/07/12 04:58 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

IN HOW MANY OF THESE PICTURES, IS THERE ANOTHER HOUSE IN PLAIN VIEW ?
( scroll down )

A HOUSE FULL OF PEOPLE THAT ARE MORTIFIED AT THE SIGHT OF A DEAD ANIMAL HANGING FROM A NEIGHBORS HOUSE ....
maybe. maybe not ....

It is , IMO never a choice that should be made when there is another, BETTER way...because every animal caught, could have been so in a properly mounted, proper trap !

( read above post )

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3150889
05/07/12 06:34 PM
05/07/12 06:34 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline OP
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline OP
trapper

Dayton, OH
For everyone giving me a hard time about these swinging coon. You are making an assumption that you know the type of neighberhood and how many people could see the capture. As far as you can see from those pics the only swinger that is in view, is the one at the appartment complex but you are not aware of is that the entire complex is vacant and being rehabed(look at pallets of shingle in parking lot). All of the others are in isolated wooded lots with no neighbors. Any location where there is possibillity of public view the coon is contained nicely in the box. Anyone who took the time to read the post would know that this is not my first choice for any raccoon job but for certain locations/situation it is a valuable option.

LT, Opinions are like anuses, everyone has one; and sometimes they stink!
Gross but true

LT what technique do you use on cage shy coon.

Last edited by trapper4hire; 05/07/12 06:57 PM.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3150939
05/07/12 07:33 PM
05/07/12 07:33 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Hey does anybody know where I can get a bat call

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151005
05/07/12 08:33 PM
05/07/12 08:33 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I’m not arguing the effectiveness of 5X5 to 220 body grips on raccoons, nor am I disputing the humaneness of body grips vs. cages. Not addressing “what the neighbors think” either. My question is; why would any truly “cage-trap shy” raccoon enter any enclosure that is made of cage wire guarded by a body grip, but won’t enter a cage trap??? Are they really that smart? I don’t think so, at least not here!

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151158
05/07/12 09:38 PM
05/07/12 09:38 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
trapper4hire, no one uses cages for raccoon more than we do but just this year we've had mother raccoons do unthinkable things to avoid the cage. We don't Conibear a lot of them but I just got in two 220 and two 160 Belisles. No wonder everyboby likes the 160 more. You can't set the 220 without a setter. I think those things would kill a bear.

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151163
05/07/12 09:43 PM
05/07/12 09:43 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline OP
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline OP
trapper

Dayton, OH
Valid question LA I've wonderred that myself.I used to use a wooden box for fear of wire refusal. one day I was in a pinch and needed another lethal nosecone, so i through one together out of some scrap 1/2X1 wire. It worked on thta location and i liked the "workabillity" of wire over wood. meaning the boxes were easier to make and they were easier to install. I think part of the reason they work is its a posicatch scenario also the coon can see through the nose cone, it has an open front.I ve also had luck with wire triggered 2 door cages on coon that refused a traditional baited cage, these also were set up in posicatch fashion. but the larger cages are more limited to where they can efficiently be placed. But ultimately i guess i'll never know why some coon refuse a baited cage repeatedly only to dive through Mean Green

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151194
05/07/12 09:54 PM
05/07/12 09:54 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline
trapper
330-Trapper  Offline
trapper

Minnesota

Take the time to step out of the fur trapping mindset, Especially in any City or area that "Might" be seen by neighbors... I dosen't take but one person with a smart phone to send the Swinging Coon to a T.V. Station and the Anti croud could be on the scene in hours. There are much better tools for a Professional around the Neighborhood. The Above picture is of a 36 inch Trap I had Jim Comstock make me ...I added a full set of Wings and created an Easy clear way for the female Raccoon to escape without it looking like a threat. The trap was set and cleared in a couple hours. Job done.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151246
05/07/12 10:07 PM
05/07/12 10:07 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline OP
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline OP
trapper

Dayton, OH
Nice pics 330 i like that use of a comstock. Already trying to decide which one of mine to modify like that

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151346
05/07/12 11:04 PM
05/07/12 11:04 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
To honest I have three comstocks set on house right now and they just will not come out . If I had went with conibears I would have made money on these three jobs , I love my comstock traps but sometimes they just don't get it done . They do get done better than my other cage traps . That they do

Free Trapper
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151350
05/07/12 11:06 PM
05/07/12 11:06 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
If used 330 set which I stold for his face book page on a few jobs , the set rocks

Free Trapper
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151379
05/07/12 11:38 PM
05/07/12 11:38 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
If its where people might go poor coon . Just use a longer wire so it hits te ground or rope

Free Trapper
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151821
05/08/12 12:51 PM
05/08/12 12:51 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
For everyone giving me a hard time about these swinging coon. You are making an assumption that you know the type of neighberhood and how many people could see the capture. As far as you can see from those pics the only swinger that is in view, is the one at the appartment complex but you are not aware of is that the entire complex is vacant and being rehabed(look at pallets of shingle in parking lot). All of the others are in isolated wooded lots with no neighbors. Any location where there is possibillity of public view the coon is contained nicely in the box. Anyone who took the time to read the post would know that this is not my first choice for any raccoon job but for certain locations/situation it is a valuable option.

LT, Opinions are like anuses, everyone has one; and sometimes they stink!
Gross but true

LT what technique do you use on cage shy coon.

We're...( at least I ) not trying to give you a hard time...you are a brother of sorts and that makes us a family...well, of sorts...

What I am pointing out is to give you an alternative and to educate you of another way...before you use a kill trap method.

If you /we have some animal rights activist see that dead 'coon and create a problem, then see, WE ALL HAVE A PROBLEM !

And eventually, that is going to be a problem if you trap long enough using kill trap in urban areas.

I trap in areas that you do...I know because on occasion our paths cross... I want nuisance trappers revered not looked down upon...

NOW, THE METHOD YOU'RE USING, IS AS HUMANE AS ANY I HAVE SEEN USING A KILL TRAP, AND I WANT TO OPENLY GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THAT...

But, that wasn't my point. Humane or not...some...and it's many...people tend to "freak out" when they see you kill an animal .

This isn't like you or I, Chris...these are extremist who put animal life up with or above humans.

Do we kill animals ?

Sure we do..all the time !

That again, not my point...that said, I won't kill one in front of a customer...not on purpose.

Jim Cf. told we long ago that to be successful in this business, you have to put your emotions aside...or you can't do the job !!!

My point is, I want YOU successful...just like I want myself...my point is, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, to EDUCATE TRAPPERS on better , faster, more humane methods !

Many people think I'm an arrogant SOB who thinks he knows everything....and that simply isn't true !

I do pass on what I know...and in 42 years and 14 states, well..it's is quite extensive.

It's the reason people hire me to train them.

Am I above using a kill trap on a 'coon ?

Absolutely NOT...I hate 'coons ! laugh

I do think we are in the PUBLIC EYE far more than fur trappers, (which I 'm one too), so we must be careful with the methods we choose...

We deal every day with the public and what they think we do and what we do, is sometimes two different things...

BUT IMAGE IS EVERYTHING !

And the day you forget that is the day you will start to lose business !

Just as important, are the fact that there are certain villages, corp's, communities and suburbs where you trap that do NOT allow those type traps within their boundaries...REGARDLESS of whether it's legal state wide. That trap may be legal state wide for fur trapping but may not be in every city. It isn't like this information is posted either. It's only when YOU get a complaint, that you realize you're in trouble ! Some villages do not allow traps of any kind, even cage traps.

330 trapper showed what he was taught and the results and that is the method I use and have used for years.

If it does NOT work, would I use a kill trap ?

Yes, but I would be a bit more discreet ...and to be quite honest, I haven't seen it NOT work.

YOU SIMPLY JUST GO TO THE DOUBLE OPEN DOOR WITH THE WIRE SYSTEM, WHERE BOTH DOORS CLOSE AT THE SAME TIME...THIS ALLOWS AN ANIMAL TO SEE A CLEAR OPEN UNOBSTRUCTED VIEW...THE ANIMAL WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH !
HAVE 330 CUSTOM MAKE ONE FOR YOU....I KNOW HE CAN MAKE ANYTHING OUT THERE CUSTOM...I TRAINED HIM TO DO IT...HE HAS THE MINDSET OF A WINNER, DON'T LET HIS MODESTY FOOL YOU !
HE'S ONE OF THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS !!!

I want to give some credit, where credit is due...and that would go to Mr. Bob Jameson of Pa. ,who told me many years ago that he didn't use kill trap on woodchucks because :
" I don't have to ! "

What did he mean ?, I asked myself ...he doesn't have to.

Did he know something I didn't ?

He did !

And I wanted to know what he knew....was there a easier way ? A more humane way / At least in the public eye ?

There was !

And since that time I don't have to go around slapping kill traps over holes !

LATrapper made a very good point, which I will re-post.

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: LAtrapper] #3151840
05/08/12 01:10 PM
05/08/12 01:10 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: LAtrapper
I’m not arguing the effectiveness of 5X5 to 220 body grips on raccoons, nor am I disputing the humaneness of body grips vs. cages. Not addressing “what the neighbors think” either. My question is; why would any truly “cage-trap shy” raccoon enter any enclosure that is made of cage wire guarded by a body grip, but won’t enter a cage trap??? Are they really that smart? I don’t think so, at least not here!

Agree ! X2

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: LT GREY] #3151865
05/08/12 01:46 PM
05/08/12 01:46 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Lt. I think you said the same thing in your second post as the first but I learned a lot more from the second and agree with your second post on this subject.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151866
05/08/12 01:48 PM
05/08/12 01:48 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
You know old people repeat themselves ! laugh

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3151895
05/08/12 02:23 PM
05/08/12 02:23 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Very productive .

Free Trapper
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3152112
05/08/12 06:38 PM
05/08/12 06:38 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline OP
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline OP
trapper

Dayton, OH
LT , In conversations Ive had with a coouple acquaintances that we have in common you have came up, prolly because we are both in the ADC industry. I'm well aware of your experience and in accordance with your experience you should have a degree of CONFIDENCE. At times I do feel you push the limit,maybe even crossing the line into the relm of arrogance. But in personal conversations we've had I realize thats just part of your personallity. And I do feel that your not trying to offend anyone (as a general rule). Maybe its just the BOLD type. Makes all of your posts seem like your yelling at all of us. Anyway its going to take more than a difference of opinion on coni sets to offend me.

PS I reffered you for a raccoon job in springfield today, the guys name was Osh or something weird.

Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3152160
05/08/12 07:13 PM
05/08/12 07:13 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Well not weird, just Arabic . laugh

I've heard that BOLD type makes people think I'm yelling....I'm not.

I wouldn't get my blood pressure up that high.

I can't see the screen and the bold print helps me read what I wrote...now if I have my reading glasses, then I'm ok...( such as now) grin

People often say I push the limit...again, not my intention.

I do like people to think outside the box and that is difficult for some to do.

Few people realize that for years, more than half the post made by "me" were actually dictated over a phone and typed by someone else.
Same with answering PM's.

But, I digress...

Thank you for the referral.

I couldn't get to it, due to being swamped...

I referred it to a new company but explained if they didn't want it, I would understand...

A 10,000 sq. ft, house is NOT one you "cut your teeth on" ! wink

Re: 5X5 Conibear Catches (Pics) [Re: trapper4hire] #3152439
05/08/12 10:33 PM
05/08/12 10:33 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan