ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3141907
04/30/12 06:41 PM
04/30/12 06:41 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Im not sure about the other guys, but I have only tried it on female coons with pups. It is pretty successfull as long as she isnt a big old bruiser, with young that are not mobile.

Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3141982
04/30/12 07:43 PM
04/30/12 07:43 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Can not use it here without a pest control licence, but it makes a terrible trap lure. wink

Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3142204
04/30/12 09:58 PM
04/30/12 09:58 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
This is a good one ,worked all day in the rain ,end up pulling something in my back , so get the call chimney coon , so now it's getting dark ,I climb way up this chimney with my loaded comstock with the nose cone on it , finally some how get that thing in there and it fires so start over , not a good trap for that kind of mission . So then after they just got done telling me there dog has been barking at the fire place all day , I grab my chimney poles and open the flue and there's no coon in the chimney , I go thought you said your dog has been barking at the fire place all day , they go well yesterday he was , what the flip people. What a crap day , that's why I charge for the first animal in my service call

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3142261
04/30/12 10:39 PM
04/30/12 10:39 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

So reading hindsight, Pesky, you could maybe change your procedures when you arrive to a chimney job. Maybe check from the inside and see if shes inside before you take a ladder down. As close to dark as it is, and a raccoon being a mostly nocturnal animal, could be that you just missed her.

Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: bob pake] #3142264
04/30/12 10:40 PM
04/30/12 10:40 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Actually I think the vanish would be an excellent lure for male raccoons and females outside the birthing season. I believe coyote gland would be useful to make the safety of the young questionable. In my opinion coyote gland would only work to move nursing or pregnant coons.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: bob pake] #3142271
04/30/12 10:47 PM
04/30/12 10:47 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: bob pake
A lot of comments are about how effective vanish will be. I suspect that it is not likely to work with male raccoons.Will coyote gland lure work with male raccoons or is it another product for female with young ?

thanks Bob

A lot of coons are caught each year by coyote trappers who use coyote gland lure at their sets. I dont think it is much of a detterent. I personally use Boars Delight to evict female raccoons from confinement situations. A confinement situation being down a chimney, under a deck etc. I've had very little success using it in an open attic. She ussually just moves them to different place in the attic. But in confinement situations I have 95+% success. I actually used some on a hollow tree today, mom and kits in a hollow tree (just out of reach) in a busy courtyard (too busy for normal trapping procedure). Ive never heard of anyone using it for male raccoons.

Last edited by trapper4hire; 04/30/12 10:47 PM.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3142278
04/30/12 10:54 PM
04/30/12 10:54 PM
USA
B
bushytail Offline
trapper
bushytail  Offline
trapper
B

USA
Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

A lot of coons are caught each year by coyote trappers who use coyote gland lure at their sets. I dont think it is much of a detterent. I've had very little success using it in an open attic.

whistle whistle Some have a much better % with it than your blackies blend stuff. There is a right way and a wrong way to apply it .

Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: bushytail] #3142294
04/30/12 11:10 PM
04/30/12 11:10 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: bushytail
Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

A lot of coons are caught each year by coyote trappers who use coyote gland lure at their sets. I dont think it is much of a detterent. I've had very little success using it in an open attic.

whistle whistle Some have a much better % with it than your blackies blend stuff. There is a right way and a wrong way to apply it .

For a female raccoon with kits I see no reason why it wouldnt work. Ive just always had good luck with "My" way. For clarification so I know how to use it properly if I'm in a situation where I need to try something new, what is the RIGHT versus WRONG way to apply this product?

Last edited by trapper4hire; 04/30/12 11:10 PM.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: When Positive Sets Ain't Positive [Re: Mike Flick] #3142313
04/30/12 11:26 PM
04/30/12 11:26 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
So reading hindsight, Pesky, you could maybe change your procedures when you arrive to a chimney job. Maybe check from the inside and see if shes inside before you take a ladder down. As close to dark as it is, and a raccoon being a mostly nocturnal animal, could be that you just missed her.
No it's a him he just didn't spend the day there today that's all . I new that when they said there dog was fine with the fire place , ya I should have checked the chimney first before i got out the big ladder . But my back is killing me , think its a nerve i must of twisted the wrong way or something . I was trying to save steps . And with them telling me the dog barked all day I figured he was in there . The trap is still in place ,I'll just go back in the mourning and cap the chimney . I was kinda forced into charging for the first animal and service call all rolled into one thing , when I added a new county to my adds I didn't know that every single pestcontrol company did animals out there . All I seen was a leader add open and two animal control company's in the book , I thought I'm going to make a killing not . When the add came out and I started getting all these calls but hardly any jobs I started calling around and found the problem ,the bug guys charge the service call and it comes with the first animal all in one , these pestcontrol company's will only come out and set a cage trap and that it , that's there answer for every animal problem , it seemed wierd at first but now it's normal and I love it , I get all my money at the start of the job it makes things simple I guess , if I do catch more than one I just bill them for it .if there needing repairs I charge them at the start , this way I don't have to meet them to get payed or wait for the mail .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread