ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
You New Guys Take Note: #3102745
04/02/12 05:02 PM
04/02/12 05:02 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
The only person on this site right now, seems to be me. I've already been on the treadmill, returned an insulation blower, took some shirts to be embroidered with our company's name, checked out a muskrat problem, picked up a Comstock cage that had already done its work, and baby sat my terror of a granddaughter.

What does this mean to you? It means that everyone else is really busy! It would also suggest to me, that if you have not gotten any business lately, that you need to reassess. Am I serious enough about wanting to do this for the rest of my life or is this just a passing phase?

If you plan to make a decent enough living doing what you love then one of the first things is, you may need to move. If you love where you live and won't consider moving to at least a suburb, then you need to consider part-time. With the exception of a few ( that includes some of you on here ) I don't much care for people doing this part time. I did it part time and I actually did a pretty good job but full time was always in the back of my mind. I think that your mindset, when this is your only way to support your family, changes. You attempt to do a better job more quickly.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 04/02/12 05:03 PM.
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103003
04/02/12 08:31 PM
04/02/12 08:31 PM
Georgia
F
firedawg Offline
trapper
firedawg  Offline
trapper
F

Georgia
I can agree with most of what you said. I don't think my mindset would change doing this full vs part time. I have always done any job just like i would want it done if i was hiring someone myself. I have no intention of doing this full time for several reasons--
1. i already have a full time job with benefits
2. i can pick and choose jobs
3. i don't end up stressing myself out trying to get enough jobs to break even or try to make a profit each week or month.
4. i have enough time off from my regular job to allow me to do this type work.
5. i still want to do a better job more quickly b/c i already understand that time is $$.

if you are new and not getting calls, then you have to figure out IF there is enough sustainable work in your area to support a business, and if so, what avenues are you going to take to get your name out there for people to see and be able to contact you--and which of these ways will be the most cost effective

Last edited by firedawg; 04/02/12 08:34 PM.
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103036
04/02/12 08:45 PM
04/02/12 08:45 PM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
most, even on here do not realize how broad this field is. If you ain't making all your profit the same way they do, your not even a wco lol. Sad but true guys, i see it all the time. You have to do this or that to make money ??????? Each area is different, it poses different difficulties and opportunities. For example, i do very very little exclusion. i can see the faces dropping already lol.
There is work out there, go get it - whatever it may be.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103078
04/02/12 09:01 PM
04/02/12 09:01 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
You forgot to put this on :adcnetwork.proboards.com laugh

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103206
04/02/12 09:35 PM
04/02/12 09:35 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
ccary, I know how broad this field is, believe me. If you look at what I do in a day and what my son does in a day, it's hard to believe that we're even in the same business together. I do what I'm confortable with, which is trapping. He does what he's good at, which is making money.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103264
04/02/12 09:56 PM
04/02/12 09:56 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I'm comfortable with making money !

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103301
04/02/12 10:10 PM
04/02/12 10:10 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
Full time verses part time is pure BS, Why is it ok to get a part time job to supplement income but it is looked down on to have part time operators in the industry. Truth be told the industry is mostly part time operators. It is not rocket science and very easy to get a small business venture going.
I think it is more a different use of terminology. or use of terminology that means different things to different people.
If a person has the appropriate permits and operates legally and ethically, why should any one cares how much work they do. Prices need to be professional, services need to be professional and the services offered need to be offered in a honest ethical manner.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: ProLine] #3103359
04/02/12 10:28 PM
04/02/12 10:28 PM
USA
B
bushytail Offline
trapper
bushytail  Offline
trapper
B

USA
Originally Posted By: ProLine
Prices need to be professional, services need to be professional and the services offered need to be offered in a honest ethical manner.

The only time I have trouble with Part timers is when they are uninsured and charge 10 -25 bucks per coon or trade the work for a six pack.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103439
04/02/12 10:54 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
You make my point, it is not because they are part time that you have problems or issues with them it is because they are unprofessional and devaluing the service. A business can be part time and be insured, and charge very low fees "turtleman". I am agreeing with you and Paul Winky. I disagree that it is because a person in Part time that they are unprofessional. I have a bigger issue with full-time big business guys providing unethical service than I have had with part time operators providing quality service.
Operators with other sources of income might tend to under price their services, however full time businesses with profit only as their motive tend to over sell their services, i.e selling clean outs cause they can and not because it is needed or even a benefit.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103441
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
You make my point, it is not because they are part time that you have problems or issues with them it is because they are unprofessional and devaluing the service. A business can be part time and be insured, and charge very low fees "turtleman". I am agreeing with you and Paul Winky. I disagree that it is because a person in Part time that they are unprofessional. I have a bigger issue with full-time big business guys providing unethical service than I have had with part time operators providing quality service.
Operators with other sources of income might tend to under price their services, however full time businesses with profit only as their motive tend to over sell their services, i.e selling clean outs cause they can and not because it is needed or even a benefit.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103456
04/02/12 11:03 PM
04/02/12 11:03 PM
orofino ID.
killbilly Offline
trapper
killbilly  Offline
trapper

orofino ID.
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
The only person on this site right now, seems to be me. I've already been on the treadmill, returned an insulation blower, took some shirts to be embroidered with our company's name, checked out a muskrat problem, picked up a Comstock cage that had already done its work, and baby sat my terror of a granddaughter.

What does this mean to you? It means that everyone else is really busy! It would also suggest to me, that if you have not gotten any business lately, that you need to reassess. Am I serious enough about wanting to do this for the rest of my life or is this just a passing phase?

If you plan to make a decent enough living doing what you love then one of the first things is, you may need to move. If you love where you live and won't consider moving to at least a suburb, then you need to consider part-time. With the exception of a few ( that includes some of you on here ) I don't much care for people doing this part time. I did it part time and I actually did a pretty good job but full time was always in the back of my mind. I think that your mindset, when this is your only way to support your family, changes. You attempt to do a better job more quickly.
sucks to be you,,,, i took scruff on a run, drank 3 beers, took sue on a run,drank 3 more beers, took sie on a run ,drank 3 more beers, just cheeeel

Last edited by killbilly; 04/02/12 11:10 PM.

thank GOD!! JESUS did'nt tap out
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103638
04/03/12 01:00 AM
04/03/12 01:00 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I don't think he's talking about part time people , it's more like if your not bizzy right now it's not looking good for your future in ADC and you best move , as fare as part timers messing up big company's that hire off the street . I think it's the big company's training these guys to start , why I would put three trucks on the road to make what I make off my one truck ,sounds like a lot of stress and damage control to me no thanks I'll stay small . And keep making my YouTube videos of my daily adventures , I wish someone else would post some video . Got some new lures coming in the mail I will have to do a taste test , got a muskrat job to setup tommarow might make a video on that , made a mole video today with the Steve traps I'm starting to love them already ,nice not having all them big victors traps in the truck

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103672
04/03/12 02:05 AM
04/03/12 02:05 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Online content
trapper
Vinke  Online Content
trapper

NWWA/AZ
live within you means,,,,And Means what you live???????..........

Ah heck,,,,,what would I know,,,,,,,I "Live Life like a Billionaire,,,,"....?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103695
04/03/12 05:20 AM
04/03/12 05:20 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
When your expences exceed your income your upkeep will be your downfall

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103740
04/03/12 07:09 AM
04/03/12 07:09 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I think Paul must have been a little bored after running all those errands and decided to...

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103832
04/03/12 09:23 AM
04/03/12 09:23 AM
Western Michigan
Animals Only Offline
trapper
Animals Only  Offline
trapper

Western Michigan
I treat all my customers like my grandmother and charge all of them like Donald Trump. I receive a check with a smile and handshake on a job well done. I am part time, insured and run my business stress free. No advertizing and make as much as I need.

AKA: Rusty Shackleford
Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103857
04/03/12 09:55 AM
04/03/12 09:55 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, this post was not meant to do any comparisons between full and part time. It was meant to show what decisions might need to be made if you really enjoy this business. I have never had a problem with a single part time guy in the 24 years I've been in business. I've really not had any trouble with any big company either, but their customers have. ( Just like ProLine said )

Killbilly, I hate to brag but when I quit drinking beer in 1980, I forced several of the largest breweries to close. Schlitz, Blatz, West Bend, Pabst, and some smaller ones. It's a fact. Look it up.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103869
04/03/12 10:00 AM
04/03/12 10:00 AM
tennessee
ccary Offline
trapper
ccary  Offline
trapper

tennessee
NO disrespect intended paul, i've read your post for years. I was just letting guys know not to be narrow minded as well on what they can provide to clients to make it in different locations.

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3103891
04/03/12 10:13 AM
04/03/12 10:13 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
trapper
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
ccary, I was just agreeing with you. The different facets of this business is amazing. There are people in our field that make their living doing just one specific species. We had a guy from Canada that just did bird removal using raptors. Hundreds of them all over the world. His contracts are huge. All the raptors in the Harry Potter movies belonged to him. Absolutely amazing!

Re: You New Guys Take Note: [Re: ccary] #3103897
04/03/12 10:18 AM
04/03/12 10:18 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: ccary
most, even on here do not realize how broad this field is. If you ain't making all your profit the same way they do, your not even a wco lol. Sad but true guys, i see it all the time. You have to do this or that to make money ??????? Each area is different, it poses different difficulties and opportunities. For example, i do very very little exclusion. i can see the faces dropping already lol.
There is work out there, go get it - whatever it may be.
Wonder if they stop extending unployment benefits the unployment rate would go down , Im guess it would because they seem to only count the people on unenjoyment , I wonder what percent unemployment tax is now , I was paying in 2 1/2 percent and when I had paid 9 grand they sent a letter telling me not to send anymore oh the good old 90s

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread