ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3094944
03/28/12 11:01 AM
03/28/12 11:01 AM
Iowa
M
moleman Offline
trapper
moleman  Offline
trapper
M

Iowa
It amazes me what is posted on this site by some for exclusion methods & for all to see. I guess thats why there called professionals.

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: warrior] #3094974
03/28/12 11:20 AM
03/28/12 11:20 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: warrior
Babies come out by hand once mama is rounded up.

X2 !!!

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3095315
03/28/12 04:15 PM
03/28/12 04:15 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
The kits are gone when I come back which means she moved them , tagging does sound good to me and got some wheels spinning , how would I tag a coon kit ? I know the so called right way is to just put them down , but the fur trapper in me tells me not to , my customers wish them relocated as well and I don't wish to blow smoke about how they will just die anyway , if you wish to put them down good for you , I don't wish to say anything is wrong with that , I tried placing them in a barrel and that sometimes works , also tried just leaving the trap there with the door open and that kinda worked , running her up a big oak tree has worked 100% of the time or at least she took them with her when she left. What happened after that who knows but I could tag them like you say , who has coon tags

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Peskycritter] #3095512
03/28/12 06:29 PM
03/28/12 06:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Wasnt saying YOU should tag them,
Was saying without tracking them in some type
Of study you don't know what happens to them.

Tagging and tracking takes scientific permits.

Forget you heard the words.

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3095632
03/28/12 07:52 PM
03/28/12 07:52 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
A study was done in my state here is a link. http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Raccoon/denicolacoonstudy.pdf

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3095669
03/28/12 08:12 PM
03/28/12 08:12 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
There's know law against me tagging them here , we're would you tag them in the ear , do they sell tags like that , I know most of the fur trappers around here and would interesting to see if any of them showed up in there or my traps

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Peskycritter] #3095707
03/28/12 08:34 PM
03/28/12 08:34 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
pesky you saying mdnr would allow you to tag wildlife and release it, without a permit to do so?

there is nothing you would gain by doing this, this is best done by researchers working with field personnel.
professionally you have to fill out animal care and use forms and do this through proper channels, if you would
even think about tagging wildlife and releasing it in your state someone ought to talk to you in your dnr.

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: RF Wildlife] #3095732
03/28/12 08:44 PM
03/28/12 08:44 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
[quote=RF Wildlife]A study was done in my state here is a link. http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Raccoon/denicolacoonstudy.pdf
[/. So do you put down all your coons because of this study , or is it state law there , seems like this breed of coon is good for us , or is wrong for me to wish coon damage on people , a lot of these people are the same people who wish to outlaw my traps but surly have know problem with my traps when there setup on there house . Should I be putting all these animals down , seems much more simple to just turn them loose . I'm not worried that there going to head back to the same house I drive them way to fare for that , I do kill every coyote On sight and would never release one there like a virus's , if you ask me and wish them all dead

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3095745
03/28/12 08:51 PM
03/28/12 08:51 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
What many people don't realize, including some of us, is that when a raccoon litter is destroyed, the female comes in heat again and has another litter. If I were a betting man, I would say that the odds of her raising that second litter would be better than the odds of raising that first, displaced litter. I have no doubt that most displaced litters do not survive. I have watched way too many abandonments even under ideal conditions. On the bright side, if we have any more raccoons, we won't need garbage pick-up.

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3096048
03/28/12 10:59 PM
03/28/12 10:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN
P
ProLine Offline
trapper
ProLine  Offline
trapper
P

Indianapolis, IN
let me say this about that:

Raccoons have a few den sites located or available. A female Raccoon that has the opportunity will protect her young and move them to a safe location. When the den she has selected is breech-ed and she is made to feel she cannot protect the young she will either abandon or relocate the young. If you present yourself as a predator and she defends her den and is safe she may not relocate. IF she perceives a Predator and does not see it but recognizes the threat she will avoid the predator by moving the litter.

I guarantee Vanish works for the reason stated above. Don't expose yourself as a threat and fail and than apply Vanish thinking it will work as it is intended.

I always recommend that you approach the job with stealth. I place the presence of the greatest predator of young raccoons at the den site and the female freaks out and relocates the young. The smell has to be associated with a real threat not you. If you attacked her and she successfully defend the den she has no reason to move, however if she comes home and smells a Male Raccoon around the den she freaks, and is uneasy as long as she thinks the Male is around and has found the Den. Her instincts are to move the litter, she knows at area and knows of other den sites.

I have not caused problems for other people if she moves the litter to another location, I have just made them aware of an existing problem.
If I remove the litter and she gets away I have to euthanize them. If I relocate the female and the litter I put them in danger of travel in an unknown area, however if I cause or encourage the Female to relocate the litter and exclude the den site I have caused a neutral affect Biologically and completely satisfied my customer.

Last edited by ProLine; 03/28/12 11:03 PM.
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3096125
03/28/12 11:52 PM
03/28/12 11:52 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Good post ProLine.

Eviction fluid has about a 50/50 success rate for me. To date, catching mom then releasing her has had 100% success. But I have only had to do this option a few times.

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3096135
03/29/12 12:07 AM
03/29/12 12:07 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
pesky you saying mdnr would allow you to tag wildlife and release it, without a permit to do so?

there is nothing you would gain by doing this, this is best done by researchers working with field personnel.
professionally you have to fill out animal care and use forms and do this through proper channels, if you would
even think about tagging wildlife and releasing it in your state someone ought to talk to you in your dnr.

Well your the one that was saying I should be tagging them , I've never thought of tagging anything before I'm sure I won't be tagging ether , pro line has a great way of doing it , leave as many coon in my area is my goal ,

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Peskycritter] #3096155
03/29/12 12:31 AM
03/29/12 12:31 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM

[/quote] Well your the one that was saying I should be tagging them , I've never thought of tagging anything before I'm sure I won't be tagging ether [/quote]

pesky, re-read my post i never said you should tag anything, i said without a proper study you cannot tell people that your method caused them to live.
again, re-read it, you won't ever see me suggesting anything of the sort, please read carefully.

I do agree with you on one thing though, prolines post and method is professional and well thought out using animal biology and behavior and sound techniques to clients.

justin

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3096363
03/29/12 09:00 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I know HD I was just kindling

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3096364
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Kidding

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Peskycritter] #3096452
03/29/12 11:04 AM
03/29/12 11:04 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
thanks pesky, glad to hear it!

Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3097466
03/29/12 10:05 PM
03/29/12 10:05 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Just in case your planning to collect urine , you'll find there's a problem that you need a filter to get that nice pure yellow stuff , a maple syrup filter works great

Free Trapper
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3097566
03/29/12 10:51 PM
03/29/12 10:51 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
last spring I had 2 sows leave the young in the chimney when eviction fluid was used. most likely they was a young, first time sows. also 50/50 on the young being taken (or to put another way gone by something) by the female if relocated, It seems for me if the female is let loose so it can get right into a spot that it feels safe, the older the coon seems that she will hang around for the young. I get the young talking and the older female seems to stay, some times closer than I want last spring I had to smack a coon because she came at me when I had the young in my hand. most will just false charge. turning loose near dark seems better for the young to be taken. also I have used boxes in the past where the female can leave the young and go find a spot she likes then takes them again I am assuming it was she.

Not every job can be done the same way. There are times that things have to be done differently. If I can chase her out and grab the young place in a box at the spot where she climbs on the house, in my area the young will be gone the next day most of the time. what took them I don't really know but I have watched sows move the young when I chased her out, again most of the time it will be a older sow that knows the ropes of chimneys. young first year sows who knows what they are going to do.

If the sow is trapped then she and her pups must be moved away, I will not release a trapped animal on the property, My first oblagation is to the customer. I don't need a trap shy coon trying to go back in the house. Makes no sense to me to trap and release on the same property. so if I can not release her in accordance to my laws of relocation she must be put down. it is easier to chase her out. so that means I deal with the coon based on the years of dealing with them in chimneys. and yes Paul you are right the light or a good smack on the nose goes along ways.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3099926
03/31/12 04:26 PM
03/31/12 04:26 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Good info., all. Pesky, I'm sending you a PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: How many of you have done this? [Re: Nostalgia] #3110599
04/07/12 11:33 AM
04/07/12 11:33 AM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida
When I was in NC I would set a 220 on the top, go to the bottom and she'd run up and through it. Then go get the babies. All raccoons had to be euthanized there however and you could use lethal traps. Here in Florida, everything has to be removed humanely. All live traps. Bit more difficult to get a trap setup on the top of a chimney when it's up in the air a ways.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread