General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#296603 - 08/14/07 09:23 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: white17]
Trophyhunter Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"

Loc: Michigan
 Originally Posted By: white17
Well here's one that I'll bet few of you have heard. I learned this back in the early 60's. (That's 1960's) I'll try to be delicate in describing it.

Back in the 40's guys in the west, and maybe elsewhere, used what we today refer to as tampons, as an attractant. These were "previously owned" tampons. A lot of them were cloth still and it would be tied on a nearby bush to act as a call lure. Apparently at times a fox or coyote or whatever would actually make off with the cloth. This gave rise to an old saying that found it's way into everyday speech, not just trapping lingo. The saying: "Well if that don't take the rag off the bush "!! Which would translate into....'well I'll be darned" today. Obviously married trappers had an advantage over single guys.

Ken you are one unique man...LOL

my tip: double and triple check the safeties on your coni's, make sure you take them off before walking away!!!

#296612 - 08/14/07 09:29 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Trophyhunter]
HunterInShadows Offline
trapper

Loc: velva north dakota
Ken I don't think the single younger guy's are any less advantaged.........ok I won't finish this. lol

#296621 - 08/14/07 09:34 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: HunterInShadows]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
HIS: Times have changed since the 40's for sure. We can leave it at that :-))

#296636 - 08/14/07 09:43 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: white17]
roamer Offline
trapper

Loc: indiana
Before i drive my cable stake into the trap bed or make a bed for that matter i always run my t-handled rebar stake before i attach the cable/anchor. kinda like a pilot hole. that way i can break thru most rocks without worrying about a bent or broken anchor/ cup and getting bummed 1/2 way down and having to re-attach a new one or move over and remake the trap bed( i use hd berkshires lol).

#296670 - 08/14/07 10:08 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: white17]
wyote Offline
trapper

Loc: NW Wyoming
 Originally Posted By: white17
Well here's one that I'll bet few of you have heard. I learned this back in the early 60's. (That's 1960's) I'll try to be delicate in describing it.

Back in the 40's guys in the west, and maybe elsewhere, used what we today refer to as tampons, as an attractant. These were "previously owned" tampons. A lot of them were cloth still and it would be tied on a nearby bush to act as a call lure. Apparently at times a fox or coyote or whatever would actually make off with the cloth. This gave rise to an old saying that found it's way into everyday speech, not just trapping lingo. The saying: "Well if that don't take the rag off the bush "!! Which would translate into....'well I'll be darned" today. Obviously married trappers had an advantage over single guys.

Previously owned tampon hung in a tree will attract bucks during the rut too.

#296688 - 08/14/07 10:18 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: wyote]
white17 Offline

See, I knew someone else would know about this.

#296690 - 08/14/07 10:23 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: white17]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Hmmmmmm, where is that bag of garbage again from the bathroom.......

-TJ

#296735 - 08/14/07 10:52 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Top Jimmy]
Geezerman Offline
trapper

Loc: Allen County, Indiana
white, I heard of a guy that had his wife collect her urine during that time of each month during deer season, he was said to have killed some very big old bucks, several.

#296746 - 08/14/07 11:10 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Geezerman]
white17 Offline

Doesn't surprise me at all. Makes perfect sense biologically speaking.

#296750 - 08/14/07 11:24 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: white17]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
If its cold enough let your beaver set over night befor you skin them. The blood will coagulate and they wont bleed as bad when skinning.

#296755 - 08/14/07 11:39 PM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: KYBOY]
Marty Phipps Offline
trapper

Loc: IL
When your truck is stuck in the mud away from any trees or fence posts, quadruple stake a 330 to the ground (T bars are best) and attach come-along.

#296765 - 08/15/07 12:02 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Marty Phipps]
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.W. Iowa
Bob J. that is a new one for me! And I am older than dirt, so it said on my last bday cake.lol I'll have to try it. I think most of the others I had heard before. The winch idea sounds good, if only I had one! All I got is a comealong.T.20

#296781 - 08/15/07 12:34 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Tactical.20]
mike jerrell Offline
trapper

Loc: Mississippi
When lowering the trap pan,like on a night latch, Reach under the free jaw,not between em.

#296798 - 08/15/07 01:21 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: mike jerrell]
Rick Phillips Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Idaho
W17, it worked!

Predators make a living with their noses, but they use their eyes a lot, too. A few feathers scattered around your set make great eye appeal, as does a handful of deer hair, rabbit fur, or maybe some sheep wool strung out in the tops of the bushes where the wind can flutter it a little. I use the wool to help concentrate the critter's attention to my set locality in some of those wider draws that have several trails in them.

#296807 - 08/15/07 02:22 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Rick Phillips]
Smok Offline
trapper

Loc: Northen Calif . , Shasta Co.
I know that evey one knows this but : Put your catch in a trash bag and spray with some type of bug spray like BlackFlag . When you carry out a cold catch the fleas and ticks will move to a worm body and you mybe it

#296809 - 08/15/07 03:02 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: Smok]
tomstrap Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaville, Indiana
Always carry a change of clothes in your trapping vehicle because sometime you WILL need them.

#296815 - 08/15/07 04:09 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapperman! [Re: tomstrap]
Texas Wolfer Offline
trapper

Loc: Texas
When trapping private property....treat the land and livestock as you would your own....

Pick up any unwanted trash...(doesnt matter who left it )...return all gates,gaps, etc....like you found them. Help the rancher/farmer when the occasion is present. Dont been a stranger during the off season.

For the last 25 years i have never paid to hunt or fish....
But, i do get paid to trap, and made many a good friend.

#296825 - 08/15/07 05:37 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapper [Re: ]
Mac Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
For you guys 25 and older and have been trapping for several years... Can you give me a tip on trapping that I may not of heard of before? I've seen lots of videos, read lots of books and magazines, and I'm dedicated to several trapping forums... but in my never ending quest for new tips and tricks, I'd like to see what you old farts (like me) can offer.

Don't you young guys feel left out. I'll make a post for you as well.

~ADC~

Well I am more than twice the age requirement so here goes.
You say you have done a pile of reading. Have you read Bill Nelson's methods? If not, my tip would be to read both of his books and you will see where a huge amount of written info in the trapping industry originated.

mac

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

#296834 - 08/15/07 06:06 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapper [Re: Mac]
Uncle Fester Offline
"Mongoose Master"

Loc: Colorado
I alway have 2 pair of hip boots in the truck, one I am wearing and 1 on standby. This serves two purposes. #1 obviously it is no fun when you go over the top of your boots and have to run the rest of your line in wet hip boots. #2 I have a pair to loan out for guys or kids that want to go run the line with me, these are usually people that have no clue about trapping, but I like to get em out there and educate them.

#296849 - 08/15/07 06:33 AM Re: Little known tips from the old guys on trapper [Re: Uncle Fester]
k9. Offline
trapper

Loc: Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
On a dirthole remake when you clean the dirt out of the hole put that dirt up onto the backing, not over the trap. All the dirt on a remake stinks, but the dirt you clean out of the hole has lure and bait in it and you don't want that on your trap.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  tmrschessie