Trap Preparation Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#269418 - 07/22/07 02:12 PM DIP - SPEEED DIP
Jake Cholock Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania
i am going to dye some traps with andy stoes speed dip do u guys know how long to keep the traps in the dip

#269425 - 07/22/07 02:24 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: trapperbill]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Just submerge the trap then pull it back out and hang to dry. Hope your not mixing it with gas. Coleman fuel works better, dry's out faster.

#269429 - 07/22/07 02:32 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Jtrapper]
WVtrp Offline
trapper

Loc: WV,Jackson Co.
Never had a problem with speed dip I believe that most all problems people have is due to poor mixtures. I catch everything from muskrats to coyotes with speed dipped traps.
Member FTA

#269469 - 07/22/07 03:27 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: WVtrp]
Jake Cholock Offline
trapper

should i use gas

#269528 - 07/22/07 04:10 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: trapperbill]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
I have speed dipped all of my traps and most other equiptment for over 20 yrs. without any problems. Waxed a few canine traps last year and for the first time in my life had a few diggers. Never had that problem with a dipped trap. I have always used the cheapest grade unleaded gas I can find and the traps turn out just fine. If you want to use Coleman fuel thats fine but not neccessary. If you have sticky crap on the trap you didnt let it dry long enough or mixed it wrong. Theres nothing quicker than dip it in and pull it out.

#269568 - 07/22/07 04:35 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: trapperbill]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

I was dyeing and waxing my traps over 30 yrs. ago. Trust me Bill I know how to properly wax and store a trap. Aparently the wax I purchased contained some sort of contaminant thus the diggers. Secondly I still have quite a few traps to dip and they will ALL be plenty dry by the time season rolls around. I dont care how long you have been around dip. If you still have sticky traps a couple months from now you did something wrong!!

#269583 - 07/22/07 04:45 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Dave Plueger]
CedarRivrTrappr Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Ansgar, Iowa
I'm gonna be dipping my water traps here within a week. I've never had any problems either. I buy the cheapest gasoline at the gas station up town. And dip them so the trap is completely covered and pull it up and shake the excess off and hang it to dry.

#269590 - 07/22/07 04:49 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Dave Plueger]
Bigfoot Offline
trapper

Loc: central Missouri
The only time I have ever had trouble dipping traps is when I dipped some traps that had been waxed the year before .They stayed sticky for several months . It wasn't a big deal cause they were coon traps . I use gas early like now . later I use minneral spirits . with mineral spirits I can dip my 330s mid season to prevent rust marks on fur .Three days they will be dry enough That they wont pull hair on beaver.

#269593 - 07/22/07 04:50 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: ]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Isnt the point of dipping or dyeing supposed to give you a coat that wont come off easily? Why were you trying to get it off? If you have traps in the shed that are dipped I would be happy to take them off your hands. Explain to me why dyed/waxed traps are the only way to fly?

#269606 - 07/22/07 04:56 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Dave Plueger]
frozentoes Offline
trapper

Loc: Holmen, WI
I also speed dip and use the Coleman fuel. I can't think of any trouble I have had with dipped traps. Never tried to get the dip off though, probably because I want the color to stay on anyway

But, as far as opinions go, we all have them and obviously they are going to be different. Why we have to have members ripping on other member's methods is beyond me. I like dip because it is convenient, quick, and because I don't have the facilities to do everything the "traditional" way.

#269634 - 07/22/07 05:18 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: trapperbill]
frozentoes Offline
trapper

Loc: Holmen, WI
 Quote:
Ya all must be coon trappers

Yes sir, and proud of it I also do a majority of my trapping in the water and I am sure that makes a difference. But, even my land sets for coon don't get dug up due to dipping.

#269690 - 07/22/07 05:59 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: frozentoes]
Jtrapper Offline

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Slim likes F1 also Andy, that stuff froze a CDR down to where it wouldn't even fire after a beaver stepped on it id been trying to catch for 3 weeks! Allow's the trap to continue rusting under it! Yet some still love it and that's fine with me, it's just not for me.

Im not a coon trapper by the way!

Started using the speed dip's around 1985 after doing the dye/wax deal all the years before and have never looked back since.

If you don't want to use it DON'T! But I think ive caught enough canine's in my lifetime to prove IF you do want to use it there's nothing wrong with it!

Im not going to argue with anyone over it, i'll keep using what works for me and everyone else can keep using what they want. I got better things to do than baby sit a boiling pot for days on end, lol.

#269697 - 07/22/07 06:05 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Jtrapper]
Wade Lacey Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
I have never understood when people say they could'nt get dip off their traps. People start talking about cement mixers and all kind of crap but i have never had a problem washing dip off with a little gas in a tub and slosh it around and rub it real good everywere. Shines em right back up. Now i will say i dip my beav/otter traps and not land traps,i wax them. After all that tho i will say this the very first 2 coyotes i ever caught were with diped traps lol.

#269698 - 07/22/07 06:05 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: frozentoes]
Ford Offline
trapper

Loc: Rochester,Iowa
I'm sure all you guys has tried both ways and you have some reason why you don't dip,or wax.
It's all an opinion! I've used both ways the past thirty years and see no problems either way.
Jacob asked a question and the post turned into a debate on whats better waxing or dip.
What you guys is saying is like whats the best lure? Sure I have great lure,one guy says works for me, I caught 100 beaver off it and lets say he,s from a southern state, next guy is from another state up north but only caught 10 beaver. there you have it! The guy from the north says stuff don't work, whereas the southern guy says it works great!
Its the way I look at things, I use what works best for me!
I dipp all my traps now cause it is faster for me,my catch hasn't slipped one bit!(MY Opinion)

#269699 - 07/22/07 06:05 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Jtrapper]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania,Lackawanna
I like Formula One

Does anyone wax also, using formula one ?

I know it's not need..Just wondering if anyone does it.

#269903 - 07/22/07 08:49 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: ]
camoman23 Offline
trapper

Loc: Bryant,IN
A couple of weeks ago I dipped some traps. It was about 90 degrees out. I dipped them at about 1:OO and by night they were dry to the touch. I also use the cheapest gas I find. I think you need to dip in the summer when it's warm. If you dip just before season when it's getting cooler out and they don't have time to air out, then they won't dry very good.

#269907 - 07/22/07 08:54 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: camoman23]
Montour Cooner Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa "Coon Belt"
Speed Dip has always worked well for me.Just check out some of catch pics that I have posted.I am planning on dipping all of mine in the next couple of weeks.

#269918 - 07/22/07 09:03 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: ]
Billfrank Offline
trapper

Loc: TEXAS
I have never dyed,dipped a trap in many a year....just a light coat of rust and a good coat of wax.

While working in yankee country many years ago a Dr. that lives in Indiana sold me on this and has worked well for me.

#269993 - 07/22/07 09:49 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Billfrank]
Jake Cholock Offline
trapper

how long do they take to dry

#270001 - 07/22/07 09:55 PM Re: SPEEED DIP [Re: Jake Cholock]
j morris Offline
trapper

Loc: Clearwater, KS
Speed dip sucks possum balls............ Don't like it and will never use it for land traps again.

I buy and sell a lot of traps, as well as modify for others and will not buy or modify a speed dipped trap, ever.

I'll just keep doing it the old school way and keep hammering the coyotes. To each their own. For those of you that have good luck with it, I'm glad. Cause that crap isn't going to touch any of my steel ever agin.

Jerry Morris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie