General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How do you feel about shocksprings? [Re: Wade Lacey] #244386
06/29/07 08:03 AM
06/29/07 08:03 AM
N.e.WI. 45
DFronek Offline
trapper
DFronek  Offline
trapper

N.e.WI. 45
I don't use shocksprings myself but have been toying with the idea of using some.But can't really see the advantage over what I'm using now.I'm running 12" of chain,nail swivel,3 links of #3 chain,nail swivel,3 links chain,nail swivel,then 3 more links of chain,then a quick link to cable stake.I drive the cable stake in the ground until the end swivel is below ground.Then give it a yank to set the stake and my end chain swivel is above ground and the last 3 links are below.I have the 12" of chain above ground.I've held the occasional toes catches nicely even a back foot 2 toe catch,of course the traps are fully modified and offset.There is definately a noticable catch circle from scratching and pulling.Most coyotes are laying down when I show up and pretty much don't move when I approach.I can't see where they could get a really good lunge on that setup,they really only have 2 feet of run way.I'm wondering if adding a shockspring is going to improve anything on this setup,and if I add a spring should I lengthen the chain out.My only reason for thinking about adding a longer chain and spring is badgers,the spring for the coyote and the length for the badgers,I usually average 3-4 badgers a years and release them.But using cable stakes these last couple years,and the way badgers are at digging,I had one that after releasing him out of the hole he dug under the stake,the stake just slid out like it was butter,the only thing keeping him there,in my mind,was daylight keeping him in the hole while the cable and chain was like looped over solid ground that was not dug and he was tucked under it.Here's a pic of my chain setup.

Here is said badger.

Most that I catch end up like this with dirt mounded up to the base of the trap.

So what are some opinions,should I go longer and springs or stick with what I'm using.My setup works well for coyotes but those badgers woory me some,there protected here and don't need one running around with a trap on its foot.Over the years I think I've only had 3 dig under with the short chains,all the rest were mounded.Will lengthening the chain cause them to dig a hole more often and go under but not under the stake,or make no difference.

Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: Slim Pedersen] #244390
06/29/07 08:14 AM
06/29/07 08:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Slim Pedersen
Mchewk, How would a longer chain, even a heavy one, stop any shock?

I think it's like this...

if you wrap a heavy log chain 15' long to a tree and jerk hard on the other end with your hands, you won't get the snap at the end you would if you used a shorter light weight dog chain in the same situation. The weight of the chain lifting off the ground slows down the "jolt" when it gets tight.

I could be wrong but that's what I think.

~ADC~

Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: Slim Pedersen] #244394
06/29/07 08:18 AM
06/29/07 08:18 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Slim, First off let me say I use shock springs....JC Conners Shock springs..they are excellent! I'm just throwing this out for some discussion as I know other good trappers that have limited experience with them and others that use other systems like long heavy chain that seem satisfied with their results.

My thoughts.. EVEN with the shock spring...initially the coyote is going to work the entire trap, chain and anchor as hard as possible. I say this as after watching coyotes react as I approach them in traps (watching JCs Trap Mod video is another great example of a coyotes reaction to an approaching trapper).
I'm not sure the shock spring has much merit INTIALLY...now granted afterward when that animal settles down a bit the shock spring MIGHT help MORE as if it is frightened or harrassed temporarily by other animals, passer-bys, etc..
The long heavy chain...lets go with 4 feet for an example...Yes I agree that the extra length allows the captured coyote to get more run and create more force. I do believe the extra weight of the chain and its extra length will require MORE ENERGY TO BE EXPENDED by that animal until it fatigues and lays down. I've seen coyotes rear up/jump alot with longer heavy chain and they can't reach the top to exert alot of force..as the chain absorbs their energy before they can hit the top..like a rubber band. After a few repetitions of this they switch to another approach.
Bottom line is the longer chain fatiques the animal quicker so they don't fight the trap as hard, more stuff to chew on..to occupy their time.

Keep in mind I'm talking 24 hr check...throw a longer check time in the big picture and the shock spring might show more merit..as encounters with other animals, passerbys might be occur more often.

Again just thoughts

Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: MChewk] #244498
06/29/07 10:26 AM
06/29/07 10:26 AM
Alberta
WhiskeyJack Offline
trapper
WhiskeyJack  Offline
trapper

Alberta
Good luck avoiding the badgers.

4-8 feet of #5+ on a 100 sets is too much unnecessary weight for me. Thats 300-700 extra feet to bye, lug around, dye, wax, lug around, and bed. Why would you want to do this extra work?

I do not want 8-16 foot diameter catch circles left all over the place or a huge badger pyramid 4-8' high.

That's not going to win any friends with the ranchers and landowners.

Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: WhiskeyJack] #244707
06/29/07 03:47 PM
06/29/07 03:47 PM
Georgia
W
Wade Lacey Offline OP
trapper
Wade Lacey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Georgia
Thanks all,alot of good info has come out of this.

Last edited by Butch; 06/29/07 08:31 PM.
Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: Wade Lacey] #244961
06/29/07 08:30 PM
06/29/07 08:30 PM
Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

Exactly what ADC said. The heavy, long chain slows down the lunge to the point that the jerk at the end is minimal. Very seldom have I approached a short chained yote with a shock spring curled up asleep but with my long, heavy chain rigs 75% are just laying in the catch circle. If keeping the animal as comfortable as possible is the goal I will opt for the long heavy rig every time. A heavy trap is also needed. I prefer my Sterlings and #3 Bridgers. Most of the big numbers western yote men use the long heavy chain rig for good reason. If one wishes to incorporate a shockspring with this rig it is fine but uneccesary.

Re: Whats your oppinion on shocksprings? [Re: Dave Plueger] #244967
06/29/07 08:32 PM
06/29/07 08:32 PM
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

Mike, you hit the nail on the head as well.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91