ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Snake- Garter Snake ????// #239342
06/24/07 05:41 PM
06/24/07 05:41 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline OP
trapper
Vinke  Offline OP
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Had a call for garter type snakes today. Second one in 3 years sooooo....I know nthing about control or capture or discuagment....Any help???? Washington is wet.....the snakes are in the guys yard and he does not like them. He also said the may be a hole that they are living in....Thanks

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: Vinke] #239444
06/24/07 07:19 PM
06/24/07 07:19 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
I would charge a svc. call plus an hourly rate. If he has a fence already, you are going to have to add on to it going under ground 3-4 inches. Then 1-2 ft. up and wired tight to the fence.This is a physical barrier, and will HELP stop snakes from entering the yard.No guarantees. Also do a look arround to make sure you are not keeping any in the yard. If you dig up a hole looking for snakes, be ready for bees!If he has a bird feeder, have him get rid of it because hes creating a place for snakes to hunt, as well as cutting grass, removing brush and rocks.
Snakes are mostly ambush fellas so take away his game, his hiding spots, and places where he thermo-regulates and he wont want to be there.Most snakes need to be close to there optimum body temp in order to digest food.Changing angles of the sun are what force the critters to move from rock to rock etc. If they get too hot they head under ground or into garages etc. to cool down.
Anyone else got anything?

Last edited by bucksnort; 06/24/07 07:27 PM.

http://www.anytimeanimalcontrol.com
Wildlife Control Nationwide 800-714-8727
Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: MikeFlick] #239594
06/24/07 09:11 PM
06/24/07 09:11 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
Large glue boards work great for snakes, the ones that are larger then a sheet of notebook paper.

You can pour cooking oil on then and I hear that the snakes will release themselves as well.

They make and sell specialty glue traps for snakes but I have not been any more impressed by them then the regular glue board of sufficient size.

FYI, I do not recommend glue traps for rodents. I use them regularly for insect monitors and snakes, and have used them rarely for real problem birds.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: Barkstone] #239823
06/24/07 11:37 PM
06/24/07 11:37 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
The Eastern or Common Garter( Thamnophis sirtalis) is one of the most sighted snakes in this part of the country. They give live birth up to 60 young and can often be seen coming out from under ( or going into) patios and porches. They are harmless really....unless you are someone who is deathly afraid of snakes.
Vinke, the type of garter snake you would have is most likely the Western Terrestial Garter Snake ( Thamnophis elegans). They like all that moist enviroment that you have there. The thing with snake traps or large glue traps, is that they are not made to handle damp weather, because they are made of cardboard. Need I say more? Garter snakes will in fact retreat in holes and will also den in them (in the winter) en masse. If you are to catch them in glue traps, you must make a plastic covering for them. Easily done with a tub from the dollar store. Drift fencing can be made with treated 1x6's. I prefer mine 24 ft. ( 2 -12 ft. pieces together, so 8 total to make an "X" with the trap in the middle. Snakes have no hearing by the way but you knew that. Once a mouse gets caught in the glue trap...and they will, so much the better at least for that day. Hope this gives you a few ideas. I'm going back into hiding now...Dr's orders! \:\)

Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: LT GREY] #240003
06/25/07 07:44 AM
06/25/07 07:44 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Buy you some cahaba snake traps. ROFL

[Linked Image]
Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: ] #240077
06/25/07 09:49 AM
06/25/07 09:49 AM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
When a call comes in about snakes where the caller asks if the snake is dangerous, I tell them a heart attack is more deadly than most venom .How scared of snakes are you?

Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: MikeFlick] #257539
07/11/07 11:12 PM
07/11/07 11:12 PM
Syracuse,Utica-Rome,Madison,On...
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

any suggestions for snakes in the insulation of a basement? pull it down found shedds no snakes!
set reptile warming rock as bait point,I know that most likely they have rodents that attract the snakes.
bob

Bird,live honey Bee,Unique wildlife problems SOLVED.
Serving the great state of New York

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #257548
07/11/07 11:20 PM
07/11/07 11:20 PM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
That hot rock may work better if its in the right place where they find it.Now ya gotta make them need it. So crank up the air conditioner and make em cold so they use the rock. Some how people are aways getting snakes in the dash board of the car. When I get there I give em a-c full blast and the little guys come out and lay on the dash for sun, works every time!

Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: MikeFlick] #257893
07/12/07 10:56 AM
07/12/07 10:56 AM
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

thanks,rock is right under were the sheds were found on a raised portion.this is a walk in basement that is cool/damp.
bob

livetrappingbymatt.net
Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: Bob Evans,-CWCP] #257955
07/12/07 11:54 AM
07/12/07 11:54 AM
Wisconsin
M
MikeFlick Offline
trapper
MikeFlick  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Is it super hot there? cause they may only be trying to escape the heat. Also, my hot water heater is in the basement.......so is my freezer with a warm motor. Just a couple of ideas for ya to kick arround. If you go looking arround for them by the motor with all those hoses and wires make sure you see what you are looking at,cause it may be the snake. And just because its a garder that you are after doesnt mean thats all they have.So look real well before you grab. You may need to seal the darned thing out while hes gone. Early in the morning he should be trying to get some sun, check the corners of the siding down low for cobwebs and see if the webs are missing.

Re: Garter Snake ????// [Re: MikeFlick] #258269
07/12/07 05:28 PM
07/12/07 05:28 PM
B
Bob Evans,-CWCP Offline
trapper
Bob Evans,-CWCP  Offline
trapper
B

thanks,nothing is in cellar.i think it's getting in near the rock.there is a spot were moisture is pooling near by? can't realy explain what i'm seeing wish i had pics.
bob

livetrappingbymatt.net
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper