General Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#23351 - 01/06/07 02:52 PM How Trapperman.com Came To Be....
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
The story about how Trapperman.com came about has been told many times and even published in The Trapper and Predator Caller magazine. But because there are new people coming online all the time who do not know about it, I'll tell it again.

Back in the mid 90's dad was in Mississippi giving trapping instructions to someone, or some group. Somehow he ran up with a fella named Benny in Mississippi. Benny wanted to learn to trap beavers and go into business taking care of problem beavers for land owners.

Dad spent a couple days with Benny showing him how to do it. Dad gave Benny some of his beaver traps because I don't think Benny had much in the way of trapping supplies.

Upon completing his instruction, Benny said something to the effect that he didn't know how he could ever repay Charles for all he'd done for him. Dad just told Benny, "Pass it on".

My first computer was a Tandy 1000SX with two 5 1/4 inch floppy drives and no hard drive. So, in the fall of 1997 after dad passed away I got a new computer that had a hard drive and internet capability. I got online and started searching for trapping sites.

I ran across one called Otter Creek. There was a message board and a chat room. I started frequenting the chat room in the evenings, but didn't tell anyone who I was. I preferred just to be a trapper and not anything more.

Well, one evening when in the chat, Benny came right out and asked if I was Charles Dobbins' son. I replied that I was. He then told me that he was going to repay a debt he had with dad.

I asked him what he meant and he said that he was going to build me the best trapping site on the web and that it would become the most popular. I had no idea at the time what he was talking about. He told me about what dad had done and that by building me the best trapping site on the web, he'd be repaying that debt of "Passing it on" to dad.

I didn't know what to think. I was no puter guru... heck, I barely had learned how to use my dial up modem at that time. I told him that I didn't think I could do it.

He told me that he would put it all together and show me all I needed to know. He asked me what I wanted on the site and I let him know what I thought would be good to have for a site.

He then commenced building. He made the header images, got a forum and put together all the info pages.

One day in the spring of 1998, I got an email from him saying to click on the link he had in the email. I did and there it was. Trapperman.com had been born.

The rest as they say is history.

Dad's generosity, and Benny's returning the favor by investing his skill in creating this place, is what made it happen.

I reckon you could say that Trapperman.com is another learning tool that dad is responsible for, although he never knew of it. And Benny's ability to create such a wonderful place made it all happen.

#23358 - 01/06/07 02:57 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Paul Dobbins]
NDtrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: North Dakota
Thank you for sharing Paul.

#23359 - 01/06/07 02:59 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Jtrapper Online   crying

Loc: Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
That story never get's old.

#23365 - 01/06/07 03:09 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Jtrapper]
Bushmaster Offline
trapper

Loc: Alberta,Canada 61
Nice story, Paul. I'm sure your dad had no idea the words "Pass it on" would reach out and impact, as they have, literally thousands of trappers.

#23366 - 01/06/07 03:10 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Bushmaster]
Samuelhasguns Offline
trapper

Loc: Pennsylvania,Lackawanna
Now that was a nice story--Thank you!

#23372 - 01/06/07 03:18 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Samuelhasguns]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, whatever happened to Benny? Does he still take care of the site? Is he still around somewhere? Did they name a school in Mississippi after him?

#23374 - 01/06/07 03:20 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Samuelhasguns]
Iowa Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: North Central Iowa
Well I deffently think he full filled his promise to your dad. Since thousands of people have learned from this site.

#23379 - 01/06/07 03:25 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Iowa Trapper]
Wade Lacey Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Great story Paul,thanks for shareing.

#23380 - 01/06/07 03:26 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Iowa Trapper]
NYNovice Offline

Loc: Central NY
That was a really cool story. You know, I have made the same offer to that Lenon Guy. But Alas, he simply won't give in. LOL>
A Moment Stands Still

#23382 - 01/06/07 03:31 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: NYNovice]
CoonTrembler Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Kentucky
Thats a good story. He has impacted many people. I'm sure Charles had no idea he would pass it on to thousands of trappers world wide.

#23383 - 01/06/07 03:32 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: NYNovice]
CoonTrembler Offline
trapper

Thats a good story. He has impacted many people. I'm sure Charles had no idea he would pass it on to thousands of trappers world wide.

#23384 - 01/06/07 03:32 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: NYNovice]
CoonTrembler Offline
trapper

#23396 - 01/06/07 03:51 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: CoonTrembler]
Natty Bumpo Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Maryland
Thanks for the story Paul.

#23407 - 01/06/07 04:03 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Natty Bumpo]
TrapperMatt Offline
trapper

Loc: Shippensburg, PA..28 years old
Good story and were "passin it on"!
PTA Life Member #689

#23408 - 01/06/07 04:05 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Natty Bumpo]
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
I had the pleasure of meeting Pauls dad at the NTA in Columbia, Mo and a Missouri rendevous.

#23422 - 01/06/07 04:17 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
Benny still drops in from time to time. He's currently going to college.

He will be on Emeril Live I believe tomorrow night - Jan 7. He got into a burger cooking contest and won. Emeril is cooking his burger on the show and Benny will be there also. The show is already filmed.

He told us about it on Hal's refugee forum not long ago.

(I think that was the date - can anyone else confirm this?)

#23453 - 01/06/07 04:35 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Paul Dobbins]
trapper72 Offline
trapper

Loc: NY
WOW

#23494 - 01/06/07 05:01 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: trapper72]
Texas Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Texas
great story

#23495 - 01/06/07 05:02 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: trapper72]
Mn_muskratter Offline
trapper

Loc: mora MN.
great story

#23507 - 01/06/07 05:06 PM Re: How Trapperman.com Came To Be.... [Re: Texas Trapper]
Anonymous
Unregistered

that wus a good story paul one that will be in my head for many moons , to think that a couple words could become well the best known trappin site and thousands apon thousands of pages full of infermation bein passed from trapper to trapper.........

Edited by cooncrazy (01/06/07 05:07 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie