Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
How to make horse hoof bait #220376
06/04/07 12:44 PM
06/04/07 12:44 PM
Falling Waters WV
R
Ridgehunter Offline OP
trapper
Ridgehunter  Offline OP
trapper
R

Falling Waters WV
Just had the horses trimed the other day and I was wondering how i can make bait out of this. I have read somewhere before it works good.

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: Ridgehunter] #220378
06/04/07 12:48 PM
06/04/07 12:48 PM
Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
CharlesKS Offline
trapper
CharlesKS  Offline
trapper

Kansas,32,6-1,220,B/B NS
OH HAIL BLAKE THE BOX!!!!!!

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: CharlesKS] #220500
06/04/07 02:47 PM
06/04/07 02:47 PM
south east lancaster co. PA.
T
TRAPPER TOM Offline
trapper
TRAPPER TOM  Offline
trapper
T

south east lancaster co. PA.
PUT TRIMMINGS IN OLD POT ADD WATER. BOIL 1 HR PUT IN GLASS JUG - JAR PUT IN SUN WHEN READY TO USE DRAIN BLACK JUICE OFF THAT YOU NEED & REFILL CONTAINER PUT BACK IN SUN.
YOU CAN ALSO USE SOME OF THE TRIMMINGS IN YOUR DIRT HOLE SET
I,VE FOUND THAT FOX LIKE TO ROLL IN THE JUICE.

PASS IT ON OR LOSE IT
Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: TRAPPER TOM] #220506
06/04/07 02:52 PM
06/04/07 02:52 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
This is an old bait recipe given to me by a retired Texas Government Trapper. It has been used for years in Texas for a coyote bait/call lure. It was originally used by foothold trappers but was also used extensively with Critter Getters, Coyote Guns, and other types of pull poison guns.

My granddad and other trappers made this bait, because the base was easy to come by and it worked very well for them. It will last forever, all you have to do once you have made your original batch is add water to replace the amount that you have taken out to use.

How to make TEXAS HORSE HOOF BAIT.

First you need to get with your local farrier (horseshoer) and have him save you his trimming. The best part of the hoof to use is the part closest to the frog, which is located nearest the center of the hoof. But any part of the hoof will work.

Next you need to cut hooves into pieces. This requires a good pair of hoof nippers or a good set of limb shears. Cut the hoof into approximately one inch pieces, but any size that will fit into the container that you plan to use to store the bait in is fine.

Next find an old pot that you don’t plan on using for any household use. I use one that I boil deer, sheep and cattle skulls. A propane fish cooker is also a good thing to have when doing this because it should be done outside, or you will be sleeping with the dogs outside also.

After you have found your pot and fish cooker. Take the hooves and pieces, cover them with about 2 to 4 quarts of water, allowing them to set overnight. Then using the fish cooker, OUTSIDE, boil the hooves for an hour or two, more water should be added to keep the hooves well covered. Once you have decided they have boiled long enough, the water should have a color of ice tea, cut off the heat and allow to cool.

Once cool put in the container you plan to use to age the lure in, and add enough water to bring the level to approximately four-fifths full. Place this container in full sun and allow to age. Place the container away from the house. I use the roof of an outbuilding or an old abandoned building for this, also take care that no animals can get to it Leave the lid on loose, so the gasses can escape, but no so loose that flies can get into it.

One method I have used in the past to make an aging lid for a container is to take a screw on valve stem, drill a hole into the lid so it will fit in snuggly, and attach it to the lid with a nut. Then take the valve core out and drill a small hole in the cap. Once you have done this take caulk or silicone and put on the inside, outside and around the cap. This will keep the flies from blowing the lure.

Another method is to take a 3 or 4 foot piece of one quarter inch plastic air conditioning hose and drill a hole in the lid, put the A/C hose through the lid and silicone the hose on the inside and outside to the lid. Then take a 2 liter soft drink bottle lid and drill a hole in it so the hose will fit snuggly. Fill the 2 liter bottle, three quarters full of water, attach the lid, making sure that the end of the hose is under the water level.

Using either of the above methods will insure that the flies will not blow your lure and the gasses can escape.

Allow the bait to age until it has a very dark, almost black color. Once it has reached this point it can be stored in a cool dark place until use. This lure is like fine wine, the longer it sets the better it gets. Once you remove some of the liquid for use on your trapline, refill the bottle with water and allow it to start aging again.

How to use this on your trapline? It can be used in a dirthole set, with a squirt of the fluid in the dirthole, covered with a wad of grass, or on a piece of wool. It can be used with a flat set, squirted on the backing as an call lure.

If you have a endless supply of hooves you can use a piece of the hoof in the dirthole along with the fluid. Some trappers like to add a drop or two of skunk essences to the lure to change it up, but I think it is loud enough with out it.

The reaction to this lure by coyotes is digging, they will dig out your dirt hole two or three times larger than it was originally.

This is an excellent change up lure for coyote, badgers, or coon. It works for any furbear that is attracted to tainted baits or loud lures. Make up a batch and give it a try, but be warned this stuff is strong and loud. Do not spill any in your home or vechile, or like I said before you will be sleeping with dogs.

Good Luck and God Bless you and yours,

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Even sheep are smart enough to shade up when it gets over 100....
Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: TRAPPER TOM] #220509
06/04/07 02:54 PM
06/04/07 02:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This doesn't pertain to us who have well water.

But I think it should be suggested. Use untreated well water or rain water not chemically treated "city" water.

\:\)

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: ] #220538
06/04/07 03:30 PM
06/04/07 03:30 PM
Georgia
W
Wade Lacey Offline
trapper
Wade Lacey  Offline
trapper
W

Georgia
I may have missed something here but how much hooves do you use in the pot to start with? You said to cover them with 2-4 quarts of water when boiling but how much hoof is used? Thanks

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: Wade Lacey] #220602
06/04/07 04:36 PM
06/04/07 04:36 PM
Sherburne, New York (Central N...
G
goatchin Offline
trapper
goatchin  Offline
trapper
G

will cow hooves work??????? we just trimmed a bunch of cows and have access to plenty

"Duct tape, ratchet straps, zip ties, balin twine, bungie cords, WD-40, and a bigger hammer can fix any thing and WILL save the world some day"

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: goatchin] #220772
06/04/07 07:41 PM
06/04/07 07:41 PM
wise virgina
R
regulargrey Offline
trapper
regulargrey  Offline
trapper
R

wise virgina
how much horse hooves and do you use any gleycrine or glyclo to keep from freezing in freezing temps

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: regulargrey] #221016
06/04/07 11:54 PM
06/04/07 11:54 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
Use as many as you have....

I have one jug going that has about 1/2 gallon of hooves in it...

If you are just doing a gallon jar full, a good double handful will do the deal....

"do you use any glycerine or glycol to keep from freezing in freezing temps"

I never have, but it doesn't get that cold here... I probably would if I lived in a cold climate....

This stuff also makes a good bear bait I am told...

You can mix it with bacon or fish grease for a good coon bait...

Or use it for a mock scrape for deer.... just rake out a spot and pour a quart of the liquid in the scrap area... everything in the area will check it out....

Make sure to either put this stuff in a hole or hang it about 12 inches high on a post... coyotes want to rub in the stuff, so it needs to be underground to get them to dig for it.....

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: bulletbox] #221017
06/04/07 11:57 PM
06/04/07 11:57 PM
Robert Lee, TEXAS
bulletbox Offline
trapper
bulletbox  Offline
trapper

Robert Lee, TEXAS
as far as cow hooves... I have never used them... but give it a try...

Do dogs like to chew on the cow hooves... if so, it will probably work.....

If you have ever shoed horses and there is a dog around, they will wart you do death to get the trimmings.....

One of the worst dog fights I have ever seen was over a clipped frog... those two dogs like to have killed each other over that dang piece of hoof...

bulletbox,
TEXAS

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: bulletbox] #221775
06/05/07 10:40 PM
06/05/07 10:40 PM
G
goatchin Offline
trapper
goatchin  Offline
trapper
G

ooooohhhhhhhh yyyyeaeaaaaaaaa our dog loves the trimmins....we have to keep her locked in the house until they get scraped up and tossed in the spreader.

i'll have to give it a try next time round we trim...thanks

"Duct tape, ratchet straps, zip ties, balin twine, bungie cords, WD-40, and a bigger hammer can fix any thing and WILL save the world some day"

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: goatchin] #221808
06/05/07 11:17 PM
06/05/07 11:17 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Well the secrets out now...Ha!

Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: LT GREY] #222068
06/06/07 12:06 PM
06/06/07 12:06 PM
Pine Haven, Wyoming, USA
mickeysdad Offline
trapper
mickeysdad  Offline
trapper

Pine Haven, Wyoming, USA
I have some trimmings coming!! I'm working at a rodeo this weekend and my first stop will be the blacksmith to get more!!

Never try to teach a Pig to sing, It wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Don't buy any Polaris products, they don't stand behind them
Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: mickeysdad] #222089
06/06/07 12:56 PM
06/06/07 12:56 PM
Fairfield Ohio
Rick the Trapper Offline
trapper
Rick the Trapper  Offline
trapper

Fairfield Ohio
nextime the farrier comes I'll have to make some

Attention antis "if you don't like what you see don't look".
Pokey and proud of it smile
Stat Fortuna Domus
The fortune of the house remains
Re: How to make horse hoof bait [Re: Rick the Trapper] #223060
06/07/07 07:33 AM
06/07/07 07:33 AM
central MN
Tim Bauer Offline
trapper
Tim Bauer  Offline
trapper

central MN
With its smell, do any of you think it might be good for marten or fisher?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91