General Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#214307 - 05/27/07 08:37 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: Jtrapper]
HOKIETRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: Halifax VA
Ive only caught 1 it was on a 30 yr old victor 1.5 on a toe catch

#214339 - 05/27/07 09:14 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: HOKIETRAPPER]
Slim Pedersen Offline
"Trapping Icon' "

Loc: N. Dakota
I quit using number three traps around livestock several years ago after holding a couple yearling cattle. If the trap gets above the hoof on a cow, it will pull down and hang up on the hoof. I have never had any problem catching coyotes in the smaller traps, and never held anything larger than a deer or antelope in a number two bridger.

#214358 - 05/27/07 09:45 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: Slim Pedersen]
warrior Offline
trapper

Loc: Georgia
Never thought about cattle and traps other than the damage a big beef cow might do to the trap. A cow's hoof is wedge shaped being wider at the bottom than the top unlike a deer's straight hoof.
Something to remember for future reference. Thanks

#214803 - 05/28/07 03:15 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: coyotekiller]
John Graham Offline
trapper

Loc: Lusk, Wy.
The only cow I've ever caught in a #3 trap was a calf about 3 months old. I released it no problem, and no problem with the rancher either. (had a release through the county to cover that type of thing.) Sure, I've heard of a person holding a cow on the rare occasion, but to stop using #3's because of it is not something I would do. Especially you guys where you have a 24 hour check. Most all the pastures I trap have some cows in them throughout the year, and that is just something you deal with. Just my personal opinion, not trying to start a long winded 'ethics' debate. John

#214892 - 05/28/07 04:50 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: coyotekiller]
TRapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Central IA
we use 1.5's on coyotes, duke brand with the new style 1.5's modified using our own mods. baseplates using high strength wire instead of a piece of steel weighing down the trap by being as wide as the base and as thick. we use 3/16 rod lamination, 3 swivels and one at the trap with about 6" of chain hooked onto 2 1/2" stakes about 12 to 18" long due to our soil content. here are some pictures of coyotes caught in 1.5's 2 years ago, we only got 4 this last year as i am the owner of A All Animal Control of Tri-State and justinmo works for me and not hardly any time to fur trap, 74 coyotes the year before.

back foot catch on 24 hour check not legal here to check two or three days

I also build websites like:
www.CallTheTrapper.com

www.SlimPedersen.com

www.BlackWolfTaxidermy.com

#215198 - 05/28/07 09:11 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: Jtrapper]
TasteLikeChicken Online   content
trapper

Loc: Oregon
Absolutely they will hold yotes if fully built to the hilt. I do it routinely with the 3 dozen I made up. I start with Dukes, baseplate, laminate,use #3 American chain, MB cruch proof swivels,bend the jaws up and bubble,nitelatch,put in a heavy brass pan bolt and most important... #2 music wire springs. I have not educated a single yote....LOL...but have removed loads from the gene pool with these traps.

I use these fully modified 1.5s as a special purpose trap and would consider it on par with 4 coiled Bridger #2s in performance comparisons. To do all the mods is LOTS of work. There are much better time/cost alternatives out there.

My choice of yote trap is the MB 650 O/I laminated and what I normally set where I can use them. Haven't had any problems educating them with these traps either....LOL.

Here's a pic for you.

#215329 - 05/28/07 10:54 PM Re: 1.5 coils on coyotes? [Re: TasteLikeChicken]
coyotekiller Offline
trapper

Loc: central illinois
thanks to everyone who replied, i didn't expect to get this much info.lol. jt

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie