Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Okiekajun] #1907212
03/21/10 11:45 AM
03/21/10 11:45 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
This story used to be worth waiting for, now it's turned into another kindegarten recess match!!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: GritGuy] #1907272
03/21/10 12:30 PM
03/21/10 12:30 PM
Golden Meadow, Louisiana
O
Okiekajun Offline OP
trapper
Okiekajun  Offline OP
trapper
O

Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Day 9
Thursday February 18th 2010
Cloudy, Snowing, 19 above

Breakfast of toasted rolls and homemade jelly (thanks again cotton!) and steel-cut oats, is done and we’re off to check the line across the river. We’ve gotten about a half inch of snow during the early morning hours and it’s coming down pretty good now. It’s nice to have a little fresh snow, but we’re concerned with the weather reports that Ken’s been getting each evening from the Ol’Blister. The forecast continues to predict highs in the low thirties for the rest of the week. Those kind of temperatures are not good for many reasons, the bait in the vertical can sets could start thawing and falling into 120’s, setting them off. The possibility of bad ice or overflow increases, and my personal disaster, the idea of my wolverine hide thawing. Not good but there’s not a lot that can be done at this point. Yesterday we located an alternative landing strip for Curly, in case the river gets too bad. We also discussed the idea of having Curly come pick up the wolverine hide and bring it back to his place where he has a freezer. I told Ken just to use his judgment, we can hold off on that for a few days.

The line we go to check this morning is the same line that my gulo came from. We have high hopes, despite yesterday’s continued disappointment in the northern line.

We pass the first three vertical can set with no catches. The next set, white17 leaning pole special, has also seen no action. We cross the creek and pull up to the 110 mink set where I can see snow covered fur. I dig it out to discover marten number one for the day and number ten for the trip. I’m pulling the set when Ken walks over and asks if that is number eleven, I tell him no and he says “yes it is if you count the one in the 750 wolverine set over there”. Sure enough marten number two for the day and number eleven for the trip has tried to use one of the MB 750’s under the hanging bait as a trampoline. We gather the fur and move on to the double bucket set where we can clearly see both traps are sprung from the buckets.

The snowy shape at the first bucket does not look wolverine sized so we go over to it first. We agree to not look at the second set, so we don’t jinx the possible wolverine in it. It’s difficult, but we continue averting our eyes while we work over the first catch. I dust the snow away and uncover a monster mink. He actually looks like a small otter in the 330, and Ken is amazed at his size. He says he’s never seen a mink that large up here.

We remove the catch, reset the bucket, and anxiously begin eyeing the second set. I remove the snow and uncover a giant of a marten, number three for the day and number twelve for the trip. He appears to be the biggest of the large males we’ve caught so far. You can’t be disappointed with a double like that!

The vertical can nearby is empty and we move on to check the last two sets of the line. The vertical can near where I caught the gulo is empty, but the wolverine bucket itself has marten number four for the day and number thirteen for the trip. What a fantastic day, and what a productive line. Eight marten, a mink, and a wolverine, in two checks, with never more than ten sets out. The double wolverine buckets have produced double catches on both checks. Does it get any better than this??

Just when I thought I was getting caught up on skinning, a day like that puts you back in the hole. What a problem to have!

Scrambled eggs with onion and sausage, hash browns for dinner. Why is it that breakfast food at supper time tastes even better?

Alaskan certified...
Taught the traditional Alaskan "bush" life by the legendary white17.
Taught the modern Alaskan "bush" life by Hupurest and Alaskan.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Okiekajun] #1907275
03/21/10 12:36 PM
03/21/10 12:36 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
just get busy on the next day ok laugh

A "half truth" is still a whole lie.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1907277
03/21/10 12:43 PM
03/21/10 12:43 PM
exeter nebraska
W
wynn hall Offline
trapper
wynn hall  Offline
trapper
W

exeter nebraska
Great story!

Always looking for repairable stoploss traps and parts.

Home of Fillmore Stretchers Baits.
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: wynn hall] #1907294
03/21/10 12:55 PM
03/21/10 12:55 PM
Piney va. soon be 19
cotton Offline
trapper
cotton  Offline
trapper

Piney va. soon be 19
awwwwwwwwwwwwww ok i am better now lol
man what a trip your having

John 3/16

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
VTA life member

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: cotton] #1907306
03/21/10 01:14 PM
03/21/10 01:14 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Another nice day.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Bruce T] #1907457
03/21/10 02:35 PM
03/21/10 02:35 PM
NY
M
Mike367 Offline
trapper
Mike367  Offline
trapper
M

NY
okie, great story !! Livin my dream through your experience. Mike

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Mike367] #1908196
03/21/10 07:56 PM
03/21/10 07:56 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
ttt

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Bruce T] #1908332
03/21/10 08:39 PM
03/21/10 08:39 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
Yeah Bruce, between a week long dry spell, and Redbonehunters marathon posting of new threads this one continues to be buried.

All right Okie, let's go with the next day already.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1908351
03/21/10 08:45 PM
03/21/10 08:45 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
I'm ready for the next day.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: fishermann222] #1909426
03/22/10 11:37 AM
03/22/10 11:37 AM
Southcentral Alaska
M
MartenFoxTrapper Offline
trapper
MartenFoxTrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Southcentral Alaska
Originally Posted By: fishermann222
The kid is JustTrap, a 2nd year trapper who has not trapped any furbearers yet. White17 it is the same kid that was claiming he knows the "best" marten trapper in the state of Alaska, and he catches over 1000 a year. Remember that?

I think he might be a little gullible.
Lol, he accually has caught a few marten and a squirrel but not much else.

Don't let someone tell you it won't work. Try it because it just might.
2nd year trapping
Formerly JustTrap
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1909519
03/22/10 12:45 PM
03/22/10 12:45 PM
twig Minnesota
S
swamphaunter Offline
trapper
swamphaunter  Offline
trapper
S

twig Minnesota
Originally Posted By: mark
Yeah Bruce, between a week long dry spell, and Redbonehunters marathon posting of new threads this one continues to be buried.

on top of that some people on here feel compelled to comment constantly on every topic even if they have nothing to add just to increase their post count,
Great read okie,keep up the good work!

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: swamphaunter] #1909666
03/22/10 02:42 PM
03/22/10 02:42 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: swamphaunter

on top of that some people on here feel compelled to comment constantly on every topic even if they have nothing to add just to increase their post count,

Edited.Not worth ruining this thread.

Last edited by Bruce T; 03/22/10 02:48 PM.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: swamphaunter] #1909684
03/22/10 02:53 PM
03/22/10 02:53 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
Originally Posted By: swamphaunter

I really don't care about post count, I have been here longer than all of you with but few exceptions. Just trying to keep this toward the top is all.

Beyond that, I am like Bruce. There is no sense in ruining a good thread. Grow a sense of humor and enjoy.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1909693
03/22/10 02:58 PM
03/22/10 02:58 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Got to be another wolverine catch coming soon.Living every word of this story.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Bruce T] #1909774
03/22/10 03:41 PM
03/22/10 03:41 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
Nope Bruce, I am curious about the hole in the ice otter thing, no report on that yet, nor have we heard anything about the beaver set, and I think it is about time that one was checked. Obviously I am interested in the Gulo, but since I didn't have many around Fairbanks where I lived, I am more interested in the Marten count, lol.
Primarily I was a beaver trapper up there. I had 19 houses I "farmed" each season. I put mink/marten cubbies on each side of each house and took several mink and some marten each week when I checked the traps. I set fox snares of opportunity, and made a few lynx and gulo sets here and there with limited success, but did very well on beaver and mink.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1909910
03/22/10 04:47 PM
03/22/10 04:47 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nope Bruce, I am curious about the hole in the ice otter thing, no report on that yet, nor have we heard anything about the beaver set, and I think it is about time that one was checked. Obviously I am interested in the Gulo, but since I didn't have many around Fairbanks where I lived, I am more interested in the Marten count, lol.
Primarily I was a beaver trapper up there. I had 19 houses I "farmed" each season. I put mink/marten cubbies on each side of each house and took several mink and some marten each week when I checked the traps. I set fox snares of opportunity, and made a few lynx and gulo sets here and there with limited success, but did very well on beaver and mink.

I would love to trap in Alaska some day.

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Bruce T] #1910058
03/22/10 05:48 PM
03/22/10 05:48 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
Originally Posted By: Bruce T

You are young enough, go! Do some research, learn the lay of the land, and go. The ATA has most of the established traplines mapped out, or did when I was there. There are some areas that are public and/or controlled by the military, and I am sure some areas that are wide open. The problem is, the accessibility to them. But you can get that worked out.

Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: mark] #1910068
03/22/10 05:52 PM
03/22/10 05:52 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted By: Bruce T

You are young enough, go! Do some research, learn the lay of the land, and go. The ATA has most of the established traplines mapped out, or did when I was there. There are some areas that are public and/or controlled by the military, and I am sure some areas that are wide open. The problem is, the accessibility to them. But you can get that worked out.

The process is in the works as we speak.Only a matter of getting some money saved up. wink

Nevada bound
Re: Great Alaskan Adventure Day 1 [Re: Bruce T] #1910223
03/22/10 06:56 PM
03/22/10 06:56 PM
Logan County KY
M
mark Offline
trapper
mark  Offline
trapper
M

Logan County KY
It takes money, and it takes time to establish a new line. It takes more money, but not as much time and find one for sale. I knew a guy up on Beaver Creek (just south of the Yukon, not far from 5 mile camp, or at least I think that was the name of it). Summered in Seattle, but owned an extensive line in that drainage that he had bought some years before. Hauled him and his fur to see Dean Wilson 3X a year. He did very well. I don't recall his full name, seems his first name was Dave, but the years have really stacked up on me. At any rate, he didn't live there year around, but could have if he wanted to. Boy could I tell some stories about him though, lol.

Page 24 of 32 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 31 32
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  otterman