ADC Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coyote- Damage Control Trapping for Coyote #136463
03/15/07 02:44 PM
03/15/07 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here in MS Coyote as well as wild hogs, beaver and nutria are classified as nuisance animals and can be trapped year round, as long as the trapper is the designated agent of the landowner or lease holder.

Can anyone lend advice as to methods and the use oflures/ attractants avaialbe that "may be" used to possibly target coyotes specifically in an attempt to miss a large majority of racoons and other furbearers that may visit the trap sites.

Now that trapping season and hunting season has ended, now is the time that some landowners want the coyotes removed.

I found last year that after discontinuing the use of paste/other baits and food lures, racoons where still attracted to coyote gland lure and coyote urine.

Also I have aquired my Nuisance Wildlife Removal and Relocation permit through the state DNR and will use soft catch traps in case of dogs or incidentals.

Thank you

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: ] #136528
03/15/07 03:48 PM
03/15/07 03:48 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
Trapping yotes in summer is much more dificult than fall and winter. Location is the key to fewer non targets... As far as lure and bait go, remember that almost everything, including bunnies, are attracted to the smell of urine. I have stuck a "post" in the ground and put urine at about a foot up so that smaller ground dwelling creatures are not as attracted and sit there trying to lick it or the saltyness... But coons are attracted to everything, so the best two things you can do are set the pans heavy, and find the right target location... Not too much else I can think of. I have caught more coons than yotes in the summer... Have a release pole and do your best. Get rabies shot if you are going to be releasing a bunch of coons too. Biggest issue I have is dogs, wild and domestic. Depending on how far out you are, you might have people that want to walk their dogs away from everything. I have had dogs being walked on a leash get caught before, so be careful!!!Good luck. Just my point of view...

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: ] #136622
03/15/07 05:04 PM
03/15/07 05:04 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Originally Posted By: rln
Can anyone lend advice as to methods and the use oflures/ attractants avaialbe that "may be" used to possibly target coyotes specifically in an attempt to miss a large majority of racoons and other furbearers that may visit the trap sites.

The only lure/attractant that I have heard of, that would meet those needs, would be a predator call and rifle or shotgun. Even that won't be 100 percent, but at least you can be selective about when you pull the trigger. \:\)

Ron Fry

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: LAtrapper] #136651
03/15/07 05:27 PM
03/15/07 05:27 PM
Georgia
45/70 Offline
trapper
45/70  Offline
trapper

Georgia
A watermelon field. Some of our larger clients thru mid July, are melon farmers.
Adios,
45/70,

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: 45/70] #139573
03/17/07 01:19 PM
03/17/07 01:19 PM
Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
S
shanemoss Offline
trapper
shanemoss  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama/ SE Wisconsin
Try re-laxing snares if it is legal. One of my methods for yotes in the off-season is the mound set. Works like a charm around here with a rare fox being the only accidental catch. PM me if ya dont know what a mound set is....shane

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: shanemoss] #140071
03/17/07 07:15 PM
03/17/07 07:15 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
Forget the relaxing snares... That seems like the most non target specific idea... Even if you set them corectly for yotes, cats, coon, dogs, deer, whatever travels paths (everything) can get caught. Coyotes use deer paths to travel, but so does everything else. Just my opinion. Tour soft catch or even laminated traps 1 3/4 or 2 if allowed, sound like the right idea. Again, just my opinion.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Dtwarrow] #140470
03/17/07 11:53 PM
03/17/07 11:53 PM
Western New York
C
Critterman Offline
trapper
Critterman  Offline
trapper
C

Western New York
WHat are yotes doing in Melon fields duing the summer... rats?

it is as it is... nothing more... nothing less
Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Critterman] #140708
03/18/07 10:31 AM
03/18/07 10:31 AM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
 Originally Posted By: Critterman
WHat are yotes doing in Melon fields duing the summer... rats?

MELONS! yotes love melons.

[Linked Image]
Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: warrior] #141083
03/18/07 03:49 PM
03/18/07 03:49 PM
St Louis, Missouri
B
Barkstone Offline
trapper
Barkstone  Offline
trapper
B

St Louis, Missouri
I use cable restraints in summer for both coyote and fox ADC with great success. they are generally easier on Non targets and are a real public pleaser in regards to being a humane choice all around. In most of my cases it is feasible to determine actual travel routes of the problem animal and set those areas only.

Paul R. Ellsworth

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Barkstone] #181413
04/16/07 10:51 PM
04/16/07 10:51 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Being somewhat new to this forum, I try to find the right time to "chime in" without looking like a know it all (which I'm not) or a complete idiot (which I'm not that either). I started trapping coyotes professionally (in the ADC field)in August of '82 up in Darke co. at a turkey farm that had just lost 77 turkeys in 1 night. Hot dry month to cut your teeth on. Up until that time I had fur trapped them in 2 other states plus Ohio. But at that time Ohio was not a big coyote state. Most guys who were knocking down good numbers of fox were still only catching a few coyotes, myself included. Snares were illegal in that state, not to say they weren't used, just illegal. So were traps larger than #2's. The #2 round jaw Montgomery (4-coiled) was king I felt and of course legal, even though I caught my 1st one in a #2 victor (also 4-coiled like Mel Hershberger taught me).In the summer of '83, the bounty on a sheep farm (I dare call it a "ranch") in Fayette co. was $100. per coyote. I caught 3 while my partner at the time caught....well, a lot of big boar 'coons. Seemed distemper had wiped out all the young 'coons and only the big older'coons were all that were left. What was the difference? His was a "fur trapping" style vs mine which were all natural sets placed on or near a fresh track !..........................Ok, fast forward some 25 years later to present day April '007 What have I learned 600 plus coyotes later. Good question! There definetly is a big difference in fall pups and a hard nosed predator that kills livestock and so are the ways to catch them. We have few really good riflemen here, because of the small farms and houses off in the distance. Long distance shots are risky in many places. Many places have just become too populated. We all can't be Craig O'Gorman with our high powered rifles and "O'G/Dorn dogs.....not where I work anyway! Today I am a snareman when it comes to nuisance coyotes. It is how I catch most of them on a ADC complaint. It is also my favorite tool to harvest them for fur. I seldom use a trap for a coyote in my home state anymore and I've got over 200 modified 2's, 3's and 4's........ all professionally done by J.C. Conner himself before he got too busy with other things including the "Jake trap", (which, by the way, I've used on coyotes and foxes).When I do set a trap for coyotes it is usually a trail or flat set with fresh urine and meat fed droppings only( from a pen raised coyote). Do I think that makes a difference? I do. Do I think I catch less trash than with a lured or baited up dirthole? Absolutely! Sure I use some hole and flat sets but they usually are not my 1st choice. I have also learned to foot snare very well and have developed some snares just for that peticular set-up. On neck snaring, there are many things that can easily be shown to a man than can be written about, at least by me. I am no writter for sure and it is often hard for me to get my point across by sitting here at a blank screen. But you and I get out in the dirt, well then things become a whole lot clearer.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Bob Jameson] #181455
04/16/07 11:30 PM
04/16/07 11:30 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Keep Going..........I'm Listening!!!! But we can only use relaxing foot type........???

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: LT GREY] #181464
04/16/07 11:44 PM
04/16/07 11:44 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I am not sure there is such a product that will be coyote specific and not attract other wildlife. It is going to happen with any type of scent odor for a great part.

I have used collarum neck snaring devices for several years now that are fairly target specific for canines. Other animals like a coon can fire the device but usually never holds them.

Another idea is to set up a draw station with a loud food odor,carcass dump type situation and add some LDC or skunk musk.This will act as a decoy for most animals like, fox, coyote skunks, coon, opossum, dogs and cats and some birds at times. Especially if there is adequate eye appeal.

Then set up some subtle sets with some strong urine or a good matrix marking scent on the approach areas to the draw station. This will intercept the canines coming in to investigate this attraction.Make sure that your sets are primarily up wind of your draw station.That way if they begin circling the station they will cut the scent drift and more readily approach these subtle sets first many times.

Play the wind the best you can.The canines will find these sets and investigate them if you make them like they belong there.

Draw or bait stations provide a very good area to install scent posts or some type of marking stations in and around that area.

They are are almost compelled to mark anothers urination point. Its just in their nature to do so and wont dissappoint you if you did your job well.

It works kind of like a beaver trying to out do another beavers castor deposit with his own scented mud pie.Or it can be viewed by a canine as I was here also sort of theory by leaving its own calling card odor.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Bob Jameson] #181482
04/17/07 12:17 AM
04/17/07 12:17 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
How far will the female travel from the Den, in the begining? Any "special" sets to Target her?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Vinke] #181902
04/17/07 03:08 PM
04/17/07 03:08 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
This could be a whole class by its self. To answer Vinke, I never like to be on top of that den with coyotes. Foxes, yes but not coyotes. I always am setting my traps and/or snares off somewhat and the terrain will often be the key factor as to how much as anything else. To add a little to Bobs post, (as if.....) \:\) I have often used a "marker" or scent post, as fur trappers call them, along a natural travel way. That can also be near a carcas dump. ie: road kill deer, a few 'coon carcas' or another coyote. Even fish will at times will work. It doesn't have to always be something they will eat, just something that "draws their attention". Coyotes have natural bountries. Along those bountries there a number of "natural scent post" that they will "mark" as they travel their rounds. Some of these you will notice because they will stand out. Many of them however, you won't. A trapline dog sure will find them now and will be compelled to mark them and( most male dogs will) do a little kickback, sure to get under a coyotes hide! Good place for a trap! No lure, no extra urine. Just bed and blend, blend, BLEND! that trap. I use a pair if shears like you cut paper with. I can blend a trap that you can't find and you just saw me put it there! But you will find it in a few days, maybe tomorrow, because there will be a coyote standing there with a stupid look on his face! At times I will use a lured or baited set as the draw (no trap) only to set a natural scent post upwind. That is where the trap goes. This is not to say that you couldn't go in and set a dirthole and take some coyotes. Sure you could. But you might also miss some and catch every 'coon, skunk and 'possum in the place. It is not my style of "den " trapping, meaning I have a litter of coyotes to kill and it's April through September.They want them dead and guess what? They want it done NOW! Then my style switches from fur trapper mentality to a "catch the male and female only a.s.a.p. and then take out those pups.....and do it without so much as catching one stinking rabbit. Did you know a decaying mole will absolutely drive a coyote nuts? It will. I use that natural bait to nail some ol' smarties every year. I also am working on a coyote liquid bait that is made from moles soaking in rain water. Nothing more! They've been in there for 4 years now. I only open it once a year to stir it. ....and when I do the sun goes BLACK! Ha! But it surely does work on coyotes just like horse hoof "frog". I do use some gland lure on some "post" sets, not all but some. What I am looking for is a natural marker that a coyote urinates on everytime it passes that way. Sometimes it could be an old set from last fur season. I also will at times use a man made post set. I have used pieces of driftwood, bleached out coyote skulls and rocks, just to name a few. One of my favorites is an artifical anthill made with a 5 gallon bucket of sandy soil, natural placed along a trail. I got the idea from Craig O'Gorman. One year while fur trapping I caught over 70 foxes in this one type of set. That was when we had a lot of foxes, which we don't because of these *#^#@#! coyotes! Oh don't get me started again! \:\)

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: LT GREY] #181950
04/17/07 03:40 PM
04/17/07 03:40 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
I have not used snares because I don't like snares, and I probably don't like snares because I never use snares... Good for you Bob, but man I have had bad luck when trying snares.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Dtwarrow] #182006
04/17/07 04:22 PM
04/17/07 04:22 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Collarum devices are not a snare per se.They are a containment device and are spring loaded and fired much like an M44 is but instead of a charge of cyanide it fires a cable over the animals head.They work very effectively once you learn how to set them and funnel the animal.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Bob Jameson] #182013
04/17/07 04:38 PM
04/17/07 04:38 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Ohio, prohibits the use of any such device that aids in the closing of any snare. Collarums included. I don't think we can(legally) use 'em here in Ohio. Dtwarrow, perhaps the reason you don't like snares is 1) you weren't properly taught how to use them and 2) you had an inferrier snare to set when you did use them. Let me just say without reservation, I could take any 12 year old kid and make him so lethel with a snare that a coyote would be afraid to even be born! \:\)

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: LT GREY] #182041
04/17/07 05:00 PM
04/17/07 05:00 PM
OH - IO
D
Dtwarrow Offline
trapper
Dtwarrow  Offline
trapper
D

OH - IO
Of course you can teach a 12 year old... But old dogs have problems learning new tricks...LOL... Just kiding.
I probably should give them another chance, I just have had a problem releasing non targets from a snare. I don't want to have to kill everything I catch... Does not matter if you have it set on the x and at the correct height, etc... dogs and coons will still mess it up in suberbia. Maybe just me... Can't say I'm great at everything...

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Dtwarrow] #182094
04/17/07 05:53 PM
04/17/07 05:53 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
If you get yourself a snare pole if you dont have one already releasing any animal unhurt if you choose to do so is not difficult. Just takes a little practice like most things new. Live market trapping and nuisance work gave me all the practice I needed. Once you have done it a few times it becomes quite easy and very routine. Not much more difficult then poling a skunk.

Re: Damage Control Trapping for Coyote [Re: Bob Jameson] #182299
04/17/07 09:10 PM
04/17/07 09:10 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Bob is right. Bob has had a lot of snare polein" practice, \:\) as I know he traps for the live market. I used to do the same with red fox and even raccoon. We sold foxes @ $100. and raccoon @ $15. The ODNR closed that market down some years ago and every one that did it, was considered an outlaw and pursued by the Division. Many titles were stripped and some lost their license in the process and were black balled. Hard to come back from the dead, but a few of us did. This is the reason so many trappers went to trap in other states. Today, there are ways to rig snares so they will not injure animals (for the most part) and drugs to fight infection when they do. A lot can be gained when you spend time with someone who has done it for a living. Bob Jameson is one such individual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bob Jameson, LAtrapper