Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Elbow Set [Re: josh graybill] #1658452
12/14/09 07:25 PM
12/14/09 07:25 PM
merrill, ORY-GUN
jp8102 Offline
trapper
jp8102  Offline
trapper

merrill, ORY-GUN
Originally Posted By: josh graybill
Same thing with me, when i first started trapping here this year it took me about 30 minutes to make a coon set. well, now it takes me about 5-6 minutes. I want it to run me about 2-3 minutes by the end of the year so i can run a bigger line.

Same thing with fox, i heard the faster you make the set, the better off you are.

i believe this is true!!! now that we are more technical with things i believe that we tend to over think things way to much. get in, get it done, and get out.
JP

i deal with wild animals for a living, if im running u better keep up!!!!!!!
JP
freedomsafaris.com
coloradomountainadventures.net
Re: Elbow Set [Re: ] #1658603
12/14/09 08:13 PM
12/14/09 08:13 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
Originally Posted By: PA skinner
The suicide set is just trap set tight to a bridge wall or vertical bank. A bottom edge set is the same, except underwater with a conibear, usually at a point that sticks out into the creek.

I caught a red fox in an elbow set once. I think the main advantage of the set would be that it keeps working during high water. But you could put a dirthole up on the bank and a pocket in the water and have about the same thing.
Pocket sets are great, until the water goes up, like it does about every other day here. Or it drops and the trap freezes in.
Set high, set low and set underwater...and you'll still miss some of them.

Yea .... where I live is tidal this helps out a lot with only a little bit of rain I am out of commision

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: Elbow Set [Re: lennitrapper] #1658611
12/14/09 08:15 PM
12/14/09 08:15 PM
Portsmouth Va.
A
aprophet Offline
trapper
aprophet  Offline
trapper
A

Portsmouth Va.
Originally Posted By: lennitrapper
ive been taught two diffrent suicide sets for mink. one was built with a few rocks and one large flat one. built into a funnel so to say with teh water flowing threw the open end and leaving at teh closed end. half a muskrat in teh back with a rock with the trap on top of it an inch under water. mink climbs in to get at teh rat current takes him into the trap. or pile up a nunch of rocks at the corner of a bridge or culvert some time ahead of setting the just throw a trap on top. mink gets used to using that as a looking perch for spying minnows and such in the pool of water, then theres a trap there, similiar to the "blue bucket set" except not a joke

this is the one I was talking about

I TRAP PETA'S FRONT PORCH

Re: Elbow Set [Re: aprophet] #1658650
12/14/09 08:33 PM
12/14/09 08:33 PM
central PA 15 yrs old
J
josh graybill Offline OP
trapper
josh graybill  Offline OP
trapper
J

central PA 15 yrs old
when i make a colvert set i get a pile of leaves and pile them in the shape of a V right inside of the colvert and put a 1.5 in the middle(bottom) of the V and then i smear a fruity paste on the top of the colvert and sometimes squirt my homemade trailing scent around.

Last edited by josh graybill; 12/14/09 08:34 PM.
Re: Elbow Set [Re: josh graybill] #1658691
12/14/09 08:50 PM
12/14/09 08:50 PM
central PA 15 yrs old
J
josh graybill Offline OP
trapper
josh graybill  Offline OP
trapper
J

central PA 15 yrs old
Also, for a suicide set i take a 1.5 get a sod of grass and dirt, put it under water and then stick the trap on it. To guide the mink/muskrat/coon i put a rock on the side of the trap opposite of the wall that sticks about 5 inches out of the water. I put a smear of my homemade fish bait on the rock, and spray fish oil down the bank and a drop or two in the water to call them in. sometimes if i'm in the mood i might even put a smear of mink gland/food lure on the bridge wall.

Re: Elbow Set [Re: josh graybill] #1662614
12/16/09 01:01 PM
12/16/09 01:01 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
cohunt, if you've been trapping mink longer than I've been alive, you're one very old man! smirk

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91