General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Scatology Sign Language [Re: fur_minator] #1581771
11/07/09 01:59 PM
11/07/09 01:59 PM
Northwestern New York(Elder)
Jonathan Offline OP
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline OP
"Wilson"

FM, Without having it in hand, and from your description of its relative size with supportive track evidence in the immediate vicinity, my hunch would be coyote.

Did you pull it apart to see if there were any tiny bones, masses of hair or feathers in it?

Here are two documented coyote droppings to compare with the characteristics of yours.

Those from fox, without the runs from eating too many berries, are as a rule are much narrower and far more tapered.

To secure a definitive confirmation that it is from a coyote you have two options: you can taste it, or set a trap near it and find out for yourself within a few days.

Jonathan

PS: I don't know what a coyote turd tastes like either.

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Re: Scatology Sign Language [Re: Jonathan] #1582549
11/07/09 09:49 PM
11/07/09 09:49 PM
Corunna Michigan
fur_minator Offline
trapper
fur_minator  Offline
trapper

Corunna Michigan
There was hair in it but I didn't tear it apart. I had other plans for it. It is in the freezer with a label on the bag so I can use it at another farm. I have yote turds from a couple different locations for this same reason.

I am looking forward to more pictures and explanations from the GURU of POO POO. grin

Michigan Trappers & Predator Callers Association
Public Relations Director
Re: Scatology Sign Language [Re: fur_minator] #1601556
11/18/09 12:21 AM
11/18/09 12:21 AM
Jonathan Offline OP
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline OP
"Wilson"

Here is one of those turds that I photographed yesterday in prime raccoon, opossum, skunk, red fox, grey fox and coyote habitat.

No quarter for reference on this tapered specimen, but I just took this deposit out of my freezer and measured the the long dropping on the right in the photo. It is exactly 3-1/4" long and 1/2" wide.

I am quite sure that I know who it belongs to, but if worse comes to worse, I might have to taste it to be sure.

All of the rest of these that I have previously shown in this thread are in the freezer, too, awaiting dissection. I am gearing up to present a tutorial on how I pick them apart for final forensic analysis.

Jonathan

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91