Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
BAIT - Bobcat based bait, lure- 2 part question #1428593
07/25/09 12:07 PM
07/25/09 12:07 PM
Thumb of MI
Greg L Offline OP
trapper
Greg L  Offline OP
trapper

Thumb of MI
I live in an area of Michigan with basically no bobcats (although I guess there have been a few rare sightings). Thinking of using a bobcat meat based bait and/or bobcat gland lure and wondering....

A. would canine response to the bait be more curiousity than hunger?

B. would bobcat meat bait and gland lure at a set deter deer from stepping in your trap? Would they be curious or do they instinctively know bobcats are predators and stay away?

Re: Bobcat based bait, lure- 2 part question......... [Re: Greg L] #1428612
07/25/09 12:25 PM
07/25/09 12:25 PM
Gulliver, Michigan
A
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper
Asa Lenon  Offline
trapper
A

Gulliver, Michigan
Greg L asked...

A. would canine response to the bait be more curiousity than hunger?

No, it would be a hunger call and/or a rolling rubbing responses should the bait be tainted

B. would bobcat meat bait and gland lure at a set deter deer from stepping in your trap? Would they be curious or do they instinctively know bobcats are predators and stay away?

No, deer come to salt. Sodium benzoate generally used to preserve lures and baits is a salt product and that is the attraction to deer, rabbits, porcupines, etc. No matter what the nature of the lure, bait or urine one will attract deer should they be thick in any area.

Asa

PS- I should point out that all deer do is spring traps and instantly pull thier hard slippery leg/hoof right out of even the largest traps. Never once in 60 years have I had one deer held in a trap or have I ever seen sign of any degree of struggle to pull themselves out.

Last edited by Asa Lenon; 07/25/09 12:31 PM.
Re: Bobcat based bait, lure- 2 part question......... [Re: Asa Lenon] #1428619
07/25/09 12:29 PM
07/25/09 12:29 PM
Thumb of MI
Greg L Offline OP
trapper
Greg L  Offline OP
trapper

Thumb of MI
Thanks for the response, Asa. We are thick with deer and have many snapped traps because of deer. I thought it was just that they liked red fox urine and gland lure. Never thought about the salt part of it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91