Trap Preparation Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1409094 - 07/09/09 03:48 PM BOILING - traps, new and old questions-
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Yes I looked throught the archives and I guess my questions aren't really answered so here goes.

It has been forever since I boiled and waxed traps so I am wondering how long to boil new traps to remove the oils. I have a hot water pressure washer so when they come out of there I'll sprat them off.

Also,

I have close to 30 dozen traps that have been waxed and dyed forever, how long should it take to clean them off in the pot?

I am going to make a pot this weekend with a drain hole to allow the overflow of grease and wax to run out before I remove the traps.

michael

#1409101 - 07/09/09 03:54 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
BRADYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: MICHIGAN THUMB
I would let them soak in degreaser for a while then power wash them off to get the factory grease off. then let them set out for a while so they build up some rust, then traet them with the rest of your older traps.

#1409111 - 07/09/09 04:06 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: BRADYBOY]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

I have access to any sort of chemicals/degreasers you can imagine as a factory rep for a commercial power washer manufacture.

Maybe I'll dip them in a degreaser and let them soak for a few minutes then boil them to get anything that is missed in the cracks???

Can you over-boil traps and ruin the springs?

michael

#1409119 - 07/09/09 04:16 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
skipper Offline
trapper

Loc: sd
No. You can not ruin traps by overboiling them. It would take a temp af around 700F to anneal the springs and you will be no where close to this at 212F.

#1409129 - 07/09/09 04:29 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
PA TRAPPER Offline
trapper

Loc: southwestern PA

I have close to 30 dozen traps that have been waxed and dyed forever, how long should it take to clean them off in the pot?

It would depend on the size of your pot.

#1409242 - 07/09/09 06:12 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: PA TRAPPER]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

no, I ment how long should each batch boil for? I have a large pot so I'll be able to get a few doz in at a time.

Michael

#1409258 - 07/09/09 06:22 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
bad karma Online   content
trapper

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Not long after they come to a boil...5 minutes or so.

#1409366 - 07/09/09 08:02 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: bad karma]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
michael, no need for a drain. when youre finished just stick a hose in there and let it run over the top. dont try to drain the pot out the bottom or youll recoat the traps with the crud that you boiled off.

#1409405 - 07/09/09 08:39 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: fossil2]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Fossil,

I was going to drill a hole near the top and weld a coupler on it. When I'm ready to drain a batch I'll simply screw a length of pipe in and add enough water to dskim off the top.

I know it is the hard way, but I have a very large batch of traps to do and I've never been accused of being simple! I also don't to make a goey mess in the firepit.

michael

#1409408 - 07/09/09 08:42 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
BlueRidgeTrapper Offline

Loc: VA
Michael...would the old wax clog the pipe?

#1409410 - 07/09/09 08:43 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: BlueRidgeTrapper]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

I am going to use a 1" pipe so I wouldn't think so, but if it does I'll heat it up with a torch!

I would think the hot water would heat the pipe enough to send the wax onto my lawn~

michael

#1409424 - 07/09/09 08:58 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
fossil2 Offline
trapper

Loc: minn
michael, im guessing the water will drain out from below the crud, and the "crud level" will just be lowered a bit. then youll need to add more water to keep the crud flowing, etc. if you want to be fancy, instead of the drain pipe, just cut a slot in the side of the pot, from the top down a few inches, and weld a "spout" or "trough" onto it. keep the water level below the spout as you boil the traps, then add water to raise the level and cause it to run out the spout. the spout will direct it into a container, since you dont want the mess of running it on the ground. hope this helps.

#1409426 - 07/09/09 08:58 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
possum5676 Offline
trapper

Loc: kansas
Well i swear, i never ever heard of anyone boiling there traps in the set position, and what a cute way to keep them set, coor coded even, i doff my hat.On the new traps boil for half an hour on rolling boil, skim or pour off the oil and hang them to rust after spraying them off good, old trps boil rolling boil for an hour, just as well get the crud off under the wax and dye while you are at it, skim or pour off the top and hang to rinse off, use dye in the water if you want top skip a step and the traps have no heavy rust or crud under the dye wax job.

#1409431 - 07/09/09 09:07 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: possum5676]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

That is a pretty good idea Fossil, but I think mine might work. We have some machines that skim oils this way.

What is up with boiling set traps?

Michael

#1409438 - 07/09/09 09:13 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper

Loc: Port Jervis, NY
I'm sure every inch of Denny's traps will be treated. Also, a quick cut at the set site and he's ready to drop it in the dirt.

#1409451 - 07/09/09 09:21 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Denny,

Do you leave them set year round? Would that hurt the springs?

I left 41 330's set for 3 years on accident- i put them away with the springs set not even thinking- and they are fine!

michael

#1409452 - 07/09/09 09:22 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
Ohio Andy Offline
trapper

Loc: Ohio
Probably makes for easier storage as well. easier to stack in the bin... interesting.

#1409476 - 07/09/09 09:43 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
Deer Lane Offline
trapper

Loc: W, Pa, 57 yrs
One thing Denny, that will speed up trap setting time at your location. Do you do that on water traps also?

#1409544 - 07/09/09 10:53 PM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: ]
Jim Blakley Offline
trapper

Loc: se. mn... age..62
Denny... Those traps look just like the traps stolen from me !!!
Just bring them to Lima and I wont call the cops !!!!
Jim

#1409659 - 07/10/09 06:14 AM Re: Boiling traps, new and old questions- [Re: Jim Blakley]
michael_obrien
Unregistered

Couldn't be Jim,
I thought yours has pink wire ties on them??

lol

michael

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie