Water Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1148715
01/25/09 08:07 AM
01/25/09 08:07 AM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
On those small pond beaver one problem is you really do not know what happened when the first one was caught, was the other one right there or did it come while the other one was thrashing around maybe. I believe most all dead beaver get checked out by the live beaver but the water here is mostly clear which it may be alot different in murky water areas. One of the guys trapping here always used white sacks for drowning bags, after the first one is caught and found dead by his buddies next to a white sack I always thought that might put them off of any area containing white sacks which were not there before. A lot of guys seem to think all critters are just dumb animals, but my impression is they are smarter than you would think and just too curious for their own good.
I am not a big beaver trapper by any means but I try to pay attention and remember what I see.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1148717
01/25/09 08:16 AM
01/25/09 08:16 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
thank you Rally for your detailed response.thanks to everyone who responded.

i have another question, do any of you think that location could effect whether or not beaver work lure? as in western vs eastern?

Jerry and i talked about this in detail a while back and seems his experience has been that the pond beaver hes came in contact with in Wyoming all but refuse to work lure.these are beaver that are so remote hes sure no one has ever even seen them let alone trapped for them.hes been trapping the are 20 yrs and has yet to see another beaver trapper or beaver trap in his trapping area in all those years. marten and other trappers yes but never a beaver trapper.so they havent been ducated by another trapper who couldnt catch them but made em smart.

could it have something to do with the castor used to make the lure? maybe they dont find it appealing? any ideas would be appreciated.

he still catches alot of beaver out there but predominantly by blindsetting ponds.

the response to lure from pond beaver out there, for him has been so bad, he doesnt even use lure except on sets made for river beaver.

other places he may run into individual beaver that wont respond to lure but never really an area where they just wont work lure.closest he came was trapping Ohio one time.

Have any of you who have trapped in Wyoming or even Montana for beaver noticed any differences or is it just, luck of the draw on the beaver youre targetting?

when we're trapping WV we havent really ran into the problem although we have ran into and educated one now and then that we had to be very creative on catching.

Thanks in advance to any who add their opinions.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: cathryn] #1148786
01/25/09 09:25 AM
01/25/09 09:25 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

I never noticed the western South Dakota (Black Hills area)beavers behaving like that Cathryn. They were just like the eastern beavers in their response to lure for me.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1148977
01/25/09 11:19 AM
01/25/09 11:19 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
maybe the beaver hes trapping in Wyoming ponds are flukes? i dont know.

thanks everyone for your input.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: cathryn] #1148983
01/25/09 11:21 AM
01/25/09 11:21 AM
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Nah Cathryn, they probably know Jerry's reputation and are skeered - lol.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1149002
01/25/09 11:30 AM
01/25/09 11:30 AM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
LMAO!! ill have to tell him that one, LOL

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: cathryn] #1149028
01/25/09 11:44 AM
01/25/09 11:44 AM
Zone 2---Michigan
M
MMichtrapper Offline
trapper
MMichtrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Zone 2---Michigan
I was told once that when using lure from northern vs. southern is the food type that was the factor. If trapping in an area that carrys more aspen use lure made and taken from that environment.
I believe the "boss" mentioned that at our convention in Michigan! And we have a lot of aspen/poplar trees. And I have seen them chewing on pine,maple and oak. Just figured they were hard up for food.

Last edited by MMichtrapper; 01/25/09 11:45 AM.

------------------
A Member of the:
VFW
MMIT
NTA
NRA

"There are 4 kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy."
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1149218
01/25/09 01:41 PM
01/25/09 01:41 PM
Hill City, Mn.
R
Rally Hess Offline
trapper
Rally Hess  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City, Mn.
No probably Iron wood, would probably wear less.LOL

Keep Your Boots Dry
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1149237
01/25/09 01:59 PM
01/25/09 01:59 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

I think its those retarded Alabama beavers that do it though - lol.

I saw that Paul!

Id imagine most northern trappers if they came here would think us both crazy Paul setting traps in what they would term 'dead ponds' in the middle of summer. Only sign many times is some grass clippings around the edges, nothern trappers would think it's 'rat sign, which is what it looks like. But come mid summer our's only graze around the edges, hardly ever leaving the water and never making or keeping up a castor mound.

Some are even too lazy to repair a dam for several days!

Different as night and day trapping them in the heat of summer or in the winter around here.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #1149379
01/25/09 03:12 PM
01/25/09 03:12 PM
Harrison co. Ohio,U.S.A.
C
C.D.R.-C Offline
trapper
C.D.R.-C  Offline
trapper
C

Harrison co. Ohio,U.S.A.
Rally ,by no way am i a wildlife biologist but Sherms paper about castor mounds not being used after June in ohio is probably correct, I cant say that i have noted any great amount of activity at a castor mound past April unless its been rather cold or wet.The biggest or all of our ice is gone by mid march were I'm at.To me pond beaver can be the toughest to trap, and as you, and others have said those females with kits or are going to have kits are the tough ones to catch.When trapping ponds gang setting with differnt lures and a buch of traps the first night seems to work the best , all foot traps will be on drowners and all body grips will be set so the beaver will be out of site. If i feel that there are still beaver in the pond I'll start setting snares and foottraps at blind sets. When snaring beaver i seem to get the most fur damage when im in area with a high population of beaver. Or after the ice goes out. As Paul said about N.Carolina, I get a better reaction to a food/curiosit lure here in ohio in the summer than to a castor lure.Many times during the summer I've used just a peeled willow stick stuck straight up out of the mud with a foot hold trap in front of it to catch pond or river beaver with no lure...Carl

The more Iam around people the more I don't want to be..........
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Jtrapper] #1149413
01/25/09 03:27 PM
01/25/09 03:27 PM
Hill City, Mn.
R
Rally Hess Offline
trapper
Rally Hess  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City, Mn.
Cathry,
Could be the beaver out in that remote area are seing some disturbance on the bank, like slicked up foot prints. Is he pounding metal stakes on the bank? Maybe the disturbance could be just driving near the pond on a ATV. Seems some bever get used to certain noise level, like a boat going by on a river, or a snowmobile trail that runs adj. to a pond. I've been cutting holes in the ice with a chainsaw and had beaver come up in the first hole while I was cutting the second, in remote areas, and had some shut down for several days from what I believed to be that same chainsaw in a different pond. I believe what we hear and they do is going to be different, like when a pond is covered in ice but no snow and one that is covered with two feet of snow on that ice. The sound transfer has to be different as the snow would deffinately muffle the sound transfer. I believe beaver, especially in remote areas are more leary of going to shore, at least here in Timber wolf country, as the threat of being eaten is real and a reality for beaver during dispersal periods.
I snare most of my beaver and find that river beaver to be more likely to stay on the bank as I approach them than pond beaver. I've had pond beaver bale into the water while I was clear across the pond while the river beaver seem to stay on the bank as I approach much closer. I'm guessing the river beaver are just used to more noise and movement, where as the pond beaver are very alert to movement on the bank and ripples in the water. By compararison, a beaver swimming in a river, has less to worry about as far as something actually confronting it, like bears, wolves, coyotes, or a lion. A beaver in a pond has to worry every time it gets close to the bank, runs up a tributary, crosses the dam, or goes ashore to cut a popple. I've seen evidence of wolves laying in wait by beaver ponds, and bears are wonderful at finding and eating beaver in traps along the ponds in the spring.
Jtrapper,
The beaver here often do the same thing. They live on cattails, both leaves and roots. They seldom come to the bank but rather sit in shallow water. The lake across from my haouse is a perfect example. There are complete rafts of cattail roots they climb up on and eat, and store large caches under the floating bog for later winter use.They often won't repair a dam either until the spring run off subsides.

Keep Your Boots Dry
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Rally Hess] #1149501
01/25/09 04:30 PM
01/25/09 04:30 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Mass's of floating vegetation here like that Rally means you have nutria, lol. Our beaver basically graze along the shore line, not gathering anything up then feeding at one location, makes it real difficult to figure out exactly how many your dealing with or if you have them all when you leave a site.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Jtrapper] #1149604
01/25/09 05:29 PM
01/25/09 05:29 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Rally, the beaver he traps in Wyoming have no access other than by foot.

he walks a mile or more into the majority of the ponds hes setting and most are between 7,000 and 10000 feet. because of the distance he has to walk in he carries nothing in except the traps hes using and a feedsack ,which if he sets a drowner, he fills with rocks or whatever at the site to make his drowning weight.

Hes mostly setting crossovers and using sticks from the dam as his stakes and hes setting the channels with connibears, again using sticks as stabalizers. he intentionally tries to introduce as little as possible into the ponds so metal stakes are out for him.

he doesnt even use lure in the ponds anymore because they dont work it.

hes trapping in October and did say maybe that has somehing to do with why theyre not working the lure.But hes been trapping in wyoming for years and doesnt have luck with lure, castor or otherwise.

it has been his exprience out there that the river beaver will work lure for him but the pond beaver simply wont, and he really hasnt been able to pinpoint why.

he is able to catch the pond beaver using other methods but we're just curious as to why other trappers out there think theyre not working the lure in those ponds out west or if any other trapprs out that way have experienced this in their trapping.

it isnt hit and miss for him either the pond beaver are not responding to the lure in october across the board and never have as long as hes been out there trapping.

to qualify him as a beaver trapper i will say hes trapped beaver in 10 or so states across the cuntry so hes had alot of experience with trapping beaver in diffrent geographic locations.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: cathryn] #1149767
01/25/09 06:27 PM
01/25/09 06:27 PM
Hill City, Mn.
R
Rally Hess Offline
trapper
Rally Hess  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City, Mn.
Cathryn,
Maybe by the time he walks in there he has worked up such a sweat he stinks. LOL Got me, I've not trapped beaver at that elevation, and after reading your posts, I know why.LOL
Jtrapper,
They don't pile anything here in the summer either, but come Sept. and Oct. it can look like a brush hog has gone through the regrowth popple on shore. They tend to eat "green" in the early summer. I've heard it said that it has something to do with cleaning out their system after eating wood or whatever all winter.

Keep Your Boots Dry
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Rally Hess] #1149901
01/25/09 07:32 PM
01/25/09 07:32 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline OP
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
LOL, thanks for nothin Rally whistle wink grin

seriously, thanks to everyone whos posted ive learned alot from your posts.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: cathryn] #1149925
01/25/09 07:41 PM
01/25/09 07:41 PM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

One odd thing about our's rally is if they find a cedar or even a cedar block or post near the shore they'll knaw on it, not sure if it's the odor attracting them or what, im sure they're not eating it, just like to chew on it for some reason.

Spring is when I see the most cutting on pine's here, no idea how they can stand that bitter sap!

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Jtrapper] #1150581
01/25/09 11:19 PM
01/25/09 11:19 PM
Hill City, Mn.
R
Rally Hess Offline
trapper
Rally Hess  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City, Mn.
Jtrapper,
Maybe they have a date later and that cedar gives them breath "like the great outdoors". LOL

Keep Your Boots Dry
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Jtrapper] #1150597
01/25/09 11:23 PM
01/25/09 11:23 PM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
One thing the beaver really like here is lily pad roots. Those roots grow big too. They look like huge snakes floating in the water after the beaver pull them up. The shoreline will full of them sometimes.

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: goldy] #1150712
01/25/09 11:54 PM
01/25/09 11:54 PM
Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
D
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper
Dave Plueger  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
J, had an old timer tell me once that beavs will eat cedar at times because of the natural insecticide contained in the cedar cambium. Took care of any internal parisites. makes sense to me. I have yet to see a beaver with tape worms like you will coon.

Re: Lure effectiveness on River vs. Pond Beaver? [Re: Dave Plueger] #1150755
01/26/09 12:13 AM
01/26/09 12:13 AM
minnesota
G
goldy Offline
trapper
goldy  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
We have a lot of cedar swamps here in areas. I've trapped areas where they flooded cedar swamps. I've never noticed a beaver chewing on one though. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it. Those are white cedar though, are those down south red?

"They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" Ben Franklin talking about guns
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91