General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods #1008058
11/24/08 03:58 PM
11/24/08 03:58 PM
Northwestern New York(Elder)
Jonathan Offline OP
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline OP
"Wilson"

This topic has surfaced recently with questions hidden in poorly worded post titles that I have responded to, only to see the post quickly lost in the back pages, with a minimum of discussion and comment in only a few threads.

As elementary as this narrative may be to many, keep in mind that at some point many of us who had one of these alien looking traps in our hands for the first time wondered: "What is the easiest, safest way to set this thing?"

So.... while on roam, as a 66 year old fart with "time on his hands," due to acquired trap setting disabilities caught along the way - let me leak a bit of ink on this subject if I may.

Thought this may be an opportunity to condense some related information under one cover. I can no longer set my #220's easily due to the onset of degenerative arthritis. Use to be able to set them by hand, graduated to using a rope, and now can only set them with a locking setter.

My intent for this ink drop is for those who may be older with physical limitations as mine, and for younger trappers who do not yet have the strength perhaps to easily set even a #110 - let alone a larger trap. And, there are those new to trapping - young and old - who acquire body grip traps for the first time, often not really knowing how to exactly set them.

There are basically three setting options: by hand, with a rope, or with one of several designs of mechanical setters.

Conibear Trap Sizes And "Jaw" Dimensions [Oneida-Victor]

#55 (3.5" x 4") (single spring)
#110 (5" x 5") (single spring)
#120 (5" x 5") (double spring)
#160 (6" x 6") (double spring)
#220 (7" x 7") (double spring)
#280 (8.5" x 8.5") (double spring)
#330 (10" x 10") (double spring)

Rope Method

The following are variations of how to set a trap with a rope. Some of the illustrations are repetitive, but I included them because many of us have different capacities for interpreting a "how to" from a drawing. The videos are more visual and self explanatory. The rope technique can be used to set any size body grip trap.

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/Basic_Sets_Conirope.html

http://www.crittergetter.com.au/commercial/sales/conibear/conibear.html

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=74854

http://www.huntingne.com/forum/trapping-...trap-video.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZK9EqpnQ_E

Mechanical

A variety of tongs, "tweezers," pullers and compression devices are used to set body grip traps.

The contents of the following links to ADC outfitters Bugspray.com and Ron's are for an instructional "how to," and not a product or company endorsement by this author. There is some duplication here also.

Setting By Hand, With Tongs And Compression Tools:

http://www.bugspray.com/professional/conniebear.html

Ron's #330 Safety Setter

http://www.twincitytooling.com/safetysetter.html

Illustrations Of Setting Tools

Deluxe Setters

Conibear Tongs

Nearly all name brand tongs are similar to these - some have handle grips.

Gem Setter

Pull Setter

Trap Set ("Robbie" Style)

The tong or scissor style setters have popular brand names, but all look similar and operate on the same fulcrum principle. These setting tools are available through most trapping supply dealers.

Many of the still photos above are used with permission from Shawn at F&T Fur Harvester's Trading Post that are in their online catalog.

There may be other methods and tools not listed here for setting body grip traps. If so, feel free to comment and make additions to fill in the blanks.

Regards,

Jonathan

Last edited by tmrschessie; 11/17/12 08:30 AM.

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: Jonathan] #1008857
11/24/08 09:25 PM
11/24/08 09:25 PM
Oklahoma
W
Wesley Offline
trapper
Wesley  Offline
trapper
W

Oklahoma
Jonathan, I wouldn't let it get to me that there were no replies. This is one of those types of threads that people are inclined to read and retain the info for future reference and there really isn't a whole lot to say as you covered pretty much how they work.

Previously Bridger158, before the great "Time Out".

Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: Wesley] #1008867
11/24/08 09:30 PM
Arkansas
Arkansasbowhunte Offline
trapper
Arkansasbowhunte  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
patient my man. a lot of guys trapping full blow now and not on computer much. I wish I would have had this information compiled like that for me a while back. Good work and thanks. This will help many people.

Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: Jonathan] #1008868
kansas
mr. finch Offline
trapper
mr. finch  Offline
trapper

kansas
Originally Posted By: Jonathan
A bump in the night. Is this a trapper's forum? Or, did I miss something after Ann Landers, along with the beard contest thingy?

I am not ego driven to drop ink here - only do it to help out while in teacher mode, with 55 years of trapping experience under my bonnet.

Screw it! I'll be better off spending my time, energy and effort on a different planet.

Nite. Sleep well.

Jonathan
thanks?

i live and work in this city but am truly alive on this river......tom burns
Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: mr. finch] #1008888
11/24/08 09:40 PM
11/24/08 09:40 PM
ontario,canada
k-9hunter Offline
trapper
k-9hunter  Offline
trapper

ontario,canada
how about we get this put in archieves

$20.00 trap, a $1.00 stake, probably $1.00 in pan cover, bait, urine, and lure, Not to mention gas etc. All for a $10.00 coyote.Priceless!!!!!
Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: mr. finch] #1008893
11/24/08 09:42 PM
11/24/08 09:42 PM
York, Pennsylvania
grod Offline
trapper
grod  Offline
trapper

York, Pennsylvania
Hey Jonathan,
Nicely put together, I made the video on the Nebraska site at the request of someone who saw it here on trapperman. I didn't get many responses to the video here either when I posted it.

You did a nice job of putting all these different methods together.Keep up the good work.
Grod

Pa. Trappers Assoc.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"
Re: Conibear/Body Grip Trap Setting Methods [Re: grod] #1008977
11/24/08 10:14 PM
11/24/08 10:14 PM
Jonathan Offline OP
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline OP
"Wilson"

Wesley and "grod," Thank you for your kind and generous words.

When I scribble and drop ink and chalk here on this message board's notebook and chalkboard, my intentions are very deliberate with an intuitive feel, as a vagrant teacher, with what may fit the nature of this forum in the prance.

There is no way that my "lesson plan" compilations are that comprehensive to cover any of the topics(posts) that I have indulged in with pedigree and halfassed recompense along this trapline - hither and dither and in past scratcing that now live in the Archives here and on other trapping forums extant.

I had a stint as a college professor many years ago, and taught myself how to teach so my students would really get what I was trying to get across. I was [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] good at it.

This was only a simple donation to drop with what little I know as a contribution before I get planted. Is it six feet under? That is my new dirt hole set for canines that will never be published. I am not sure where trap placement in inches should live when that trap is securely bedded - without an earth anchor holding me "down."

Jonathan

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91