General Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#60888 - 01/27/07 09:51 PM Fur shed construction.......ideas
JohnMcCabe Offline
trapper

Loc: Scottville,MI
I plan to construct a dedicated fur shed this summer. I would like suggestions as to square footage, lighting, heat source, wood floor or concreat, sink, floor drain, wood, steel or vinyl sidding....etc.

I want to build this once. I have no plans to move out of this house any time soon. What extras do you have in your shed that makes life easier.

Im just a hobby trapper but like to be set up correctly and 3 of my childeren will soon have their own lines.

Thanks for the ideas.

#60986 - 01/27/07 11:03 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: JohnMcCabe]
nvstickbow Offline
trapper

Loc: Gardnerville, NV
make it about double the size you think that you need.

#61020 - 01/28/07 12:03 AM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: nvstickbow]
cotton Offline

Loc: rual retreat va. soon be 19
build as big as ya can afford for sure
wood heat is hard to beat, lots of light is needed.
tons of room for hanging fur, concrete floor is not so bad to clean wood soaks up some fat and will go to stinking. maybe even form a place for the fleshing beam and have only a rock floor there.

ifin your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough
Proud testosterone charged redneck

#61074 - 01/28/07 05:30 AM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: cotton]
City Slicker Offline
trapper

Loc: Indiana
I made mine with 2X6 walls with 1" sprayed foam and bat insulation. Blown in R-48 for ceiling. Heated with a 92% efficient Trane furnace with a sealed cumbustion chamber. It's a very quiet and no odor heat system! Heats the 24X32 building up real quick!

#61081 - 01/28/07 05:57 AM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: City Slicker]
Mystic Wildlife Offline
trapper

Loc: Connecticut
Skylights? High rafters for hanging furs, and/or a loft for extra storage?

#61109 - 01/28/07 07:05 AM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: TexA 68 & going]
Broom Chaser Offline
trapper

Loc: Missouri
What Tex said. In addition I would build a seperate drying room. Mine is 5' wide by 20' long with a door on each end coming back into the main room. We can hang 300+ coons on wooden stretchers at one time. There is one small freezer and one milkhouse heater for heat and two fans to circulate air. We fill from north to south through the south door and by the time the room is full, the first coons are dry and can easily come out the north door.

#61592 - 01/28/07 01:30 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: Broom Chaser]
JohnMcCabe Offline
trapper

Loc: Scottville,MI
Good ideas. So just how big is reasonable?? 10x12 10x20 12x36??
How large are you sheds??? Do you have any running water like a utility sink???

#61643 - 01/28/07 02:20 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: JohnMcCabe]
cowman Offline
trapper

Loc: iowa
mine is 16X22 and it turned out to be too small. I added a 9X22 cold room for hanging dried fur after taking off the boards. My main heat source is a reznor vented garage heater, LP. I like that. Sure is comfy in there.

#62954 - 01/29/07 12:07 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: cowman]
BigBob Offline
trapper

Loc: St. Louis Co, Mo
Figure out how much space you need, add 25%, then double that. LOL
It doesn't cost much more to add a 2nd story for storage. Just raise the walls 2-3 ft, use heavier stringers for joist's, plywood floor, and youre good to go.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!

#63034 - 01/29/07 01:18 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: BigBob]
Anonymous
Unregistered

When the floor is in I would suggest putting cardboard down good size cardboard can be found at any commercial bldg free for the asking keeps the drippings on when skinning and makes cleanup simple. I only use it over skinning area.

#63745 - 01/29/07 09:05 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: ]
ratattack Offline
trapper

Loc: Watauga Co., N.c.
I suggest putting the epoxy concrete floor covering on your concrete floor. Sweeps very easy and blood will not stain it.
My kit came from Lowes Hardware.

#63752 - 01/29/07 09:09 PM Re: Fur shed construction.......ideas [Re: ratattack]
Bloodyknuckles Offline
trapper

Loc: Owen County Kentucky
Nice ideas but sounds like a lot of money to me.

Stout tree, piece of rope, sharp knife, big log for fleshing, willow for stretching, wind for drying and stars for dreaming.

Where did Jeremiah Johnson skin, flesh and dry his fur?

Moderator:  tmrschessie