Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#3151682 - 05/08/12 08:45 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: Family Trapper]
scalloper Offline
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
Originally Posted By: Family Trapper
Scalloper was that fish chalky by chance? My experience has been when you see that gray fringe of freckles around the edges they are usually thin and chalky. Alway on the small males around here. Haven't seen it on the larger fish however.

Its not common but this fish was not chalky at all very nice for a fish this size. The cheeks were 1 lb ea my favorite part

#3151774 - 05/08/12 11:03 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
fishak10 Offline
trapper

Loc: Cordova,AK
The draggers are the biggest problem they need 100% observer coverage imo. I commercial fish for halibut and we dont crucify the undersize its pretty easy to shake the undersized fish and when you been fishing for 15 years you can tell an undersize within a 1/2 inch or better.

#3151914 - 05/08/12 01:56 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
scalloper Offline
trapper

Loc: All over Maine
Here we use a circle hook remover. Its quick and slick all of the guys from Nova Scotia use them. Its a small 1/4" round T-bar with a hooked end that you hook into the circle hook with and with a trist the hook is removed, less then 2 sec. I have always woundered why AK allows anybody to use a crucifyer what a waste

#3151922 - 05/08/12 02:13 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
They are not allowed to use a crucifier, but it is not uncommon for guys to have a "bait brush" on there that they use to take bait off of hooks that come up empty without stopping the haul.

When we did it, we just used the gaff hook to take out circle hooks. Hook the circle hook with the gaff, push down on the ganion and pull up with the gaff and it turned the circle hook around and a quick jerk popped it out and fish back into the water. Takes like a second.

-TJ

#3151953 - 05/08/12 02:46 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
I didn't that business for while...being the youngest man on the boat I was the master baiter...and then when the buyer started docking us for dispatching the halibut with the usik, I became the fish petter too. Slimy work.

#3152242 - 05/08/12 07:12 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
I'm not condoning every long liner....but I know first handedly it continues to happen on an all to regular basis...Both by the men who do it and the fish that did survive. There's always going to be those that do regardless unfortunatly!

#3152550 - 05/09/12 12:02 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Doogie Offline
trapper

Loc: Montana
I don't know about the big game guides but a nonresident crewmember license is $200 and a resident crewmember license is only $60, a nonresident has to pay over twice as much as a resident to even step on the boat to go fishing. Not to mention the $800 to $1000 plane ticket every time you step on a plane. Neither bother me, its part of the job. Oh the joys of measuring and shaking fish at the rail.

#3152552 - 05/09/12 12:07 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
fishak10 Offline
trapper

Loc: Cordova,AK
I was just adding my two cents. Just saying every longliner doesnt use a crucifier and kill all the sublegals. I speak for the boat I work on not all the boats that fish the gulf.

#3152561 - 05/09/12 12:39 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Hupurest Online   content
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
What is a crucifier

#3152574 - 05/09/12 01:28 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Aknative Offline
trapper

Loc: Fairbanks AK
It's a yoke that allows the circle hook to pass through it, but takes everything else off...like bait...or fish.

#3152823 - 05/09/12 10:45 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Back in my days as a deck hand long-lining, we did as TJ did. Hook removal was a snap, and the method I still use sport fishing. It's interesting to hear the comments directed at the commercial fleet. They have a big interest in healthy stocks, and the several different boats I fished with all took care with every fish that came to the rail. Sub-legals were handled with care, and released with as little trauma as possible. All legal fish were dispatched immediately, bled, gutted and iced. Of all the user groups invested in the fishery, they have taken the hardest hit, and while I haven't fished commercially in years, I still respect the stake they have and the tonnage reductions they have suffered, which has been much more than any other group.
Also, the southeast charter fishery regulations are still evolving, with a couple changes taking effect this year. I don't have the specifics in front of me, but while the daily bag for non-residents is still one fish, the minimum size was raised, and there is/will be a trophy size allotment as well, allowing the retention of that "fish-of-a-lifetime".

#3152856 - 05/09/12 11:19 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Top Jimmy Offline
"Assistant Speling Zcar"

Loc: Alaska, USA
Good to hear that they will at least make it worth while for the charter guys to fish further from the harbor. Hopefully there are still a few that survived last year and bookings for this year. I know plenty of guys that quit or just plain failed.

When I fished in the derby days, we didn't do it, but I knew of several that did as it allowed them to turn and burn more gear in the limited amount of time. Now days, with IFQ's, they have plenty of time to catch their limit and take a bit more time with the fish. I have caught plenty of fish that have been taken off on a crucifier that have the entire bottom lip gone. Not hair lipped, but totally gone. I am amazed at how they survive, but you know that if there are that many that survived, there are plenty of others that didn't. Also know that many guys would use them on trash fish as well. Plenty of dog fish, sculpins, rays, and other fish that never made it over the rail. Was amazing to see many of the fish bloated from coming up and floating around in the ocean. But they didn't go to waste, per se. The eagles and gulls were all eating very well!

-TJ

#3152912 - 05/09/12 12:12 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
3 Fingers Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Crucifiers are legal again since about 1995.
I think part of the problem lies with some of the P. Cod longliners, with autobaiters and running 25-30,000 hooks a day.
Soon nearly all longline boats will be required to have observers. The fleet seems to be embracing the idea as we know it's the only way we're gonna get full coverage on the draggers. Some members of our local fishermans association have volunteered to test prototypes of a camera system similar to what the Canadians use. Slow, but progress is being made. Like AV says, majority of comm. halibut guys are very conscientious.

Edited by 3 Fingers (05/09/12 12:13 PM)

#3153049 - 05/09/12 03:05 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Dirt Offline
trapper

Loc: Armpit, ak
I had a couple a few years ago come out here for some guided salmon fishing. They had been touring the State prior to coming out here to fish. They said I was the first Alaskan they had met in the tourism industry. Lucky they got in my boat, because the lodge owner wasn't an Alaskan, or the other guides, or the cook or the waitresses, or the dishwasher. Actually I think there is only one fishing lodge out here currently owned by an Alaskan. Apparently, I really am cheap.

#3153607 - 05/09/12 09:06 PM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
alaska viking Offline
trapper

Loc: juneau, alaska
Took me around 20 years to become a real Alaskan, (only been here since '83 or so), in hind-sight. And I agree with pretty much all the in-put on this thread from other Alaskans. We have seen an evolution on the harvest and value of a particular species of fish that has gone from nearly nothing, to one of the most profitable and desired fish swimming. Fortunately, it is realized for the great product it is, and if managed correctly, enough for all.
One thing to keep in mind is that of all the user groups involved, the only one not yet asked to make a sacrifice, is the resident sport fisherman (fishing non-charter). Keep busting on the other groups, and it will be next. Inside info., if you will........

Edited by alaska viking (05/10/12 10:42 AM)

#3153925 - 05/10/12 02:19 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
tree Offline
trapper

Loc: southeast alaska
Go to the IPHC website, read what they have to say, check out the links. Then come back and make an informed statement. There has been no devastating "Crash" in the southeast charter industry. The Cruise ships with their million visitors per year will see to that.

Pretty sick when your cohos are bigger than the bottomfish. Dates on pic are not accurate. Last summer, most everyone I know had the same luck with the flatfish.

Edited by tree (05/10/12 02:20 AM)

#3153949 - 05/10/12 04:46 AM Re: Halibut Chartters? [Re: onegunsmith]
Tradbow1 Offline
trapper

Loc: AK
Cruise ship clients rarely at least in some areas can even go dock to dock on a four hour trip and bottom fish. For us it was a 3/4 day or they didn't go do to restrictions on where we can and can't fish slime rockets. And most of the salmon guys stayed close as well. I absolutely hated taking cruise ship clients with visions of more than a few fish! Ask the cruise ship captains about spotted cohos! Disappointing to say the least!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2