Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Trading Post
(Please support Fur Country Lures, our sponsor for the Wilderness Forum)

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3132694 - 04/23/12 01:59 PM Ice fishing - Cold Hands!
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
I find that when I go ice fishing in very cold weather my head always stays warm regardless of the fur I use. I've tried coyote, muskrat, beaver, fox & mutton trooper hats and all kept me toasty.

When it comes to my hands, after a while, they start getting cold. I've tried both beaver & coyote mitts and it didn't help. Mind you that my body is not generating heat as I am mainly standing still ice fishing.

What fur or any tips you guys recommend for keeping the hands warm?

Thanks

#3132733 - 04/23/12 02:35 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Fur is mearly an insulator. Keeps heat in, keeps cold in. If you're not producing heat, you're going to get cold. I'd recommend any of those gloves and those heater pads. Makes all the difference when not moving and creating your own heat.

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3132735 - 04/23/12 02:38 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Second the chemical hand warmer pads. At about $1 a pair they will keep your hands warm for 5 or 6 hours.

#3132751 - 04/23/12 02:48 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
fivemiletrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Northeastern Ontario
If you're not producing heat, I think you're dead!!!!!!

#3132778 - 04/23/12 03:07 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Extremity heating is problematic for some and yes the heat pads are probably the way to go. Along with over dressing and insulating your core. If your body will push warm blood to your extremities if it has enough to spare for the vitals. Stretching and movements will also help. But you can't warm up anything with fur. Only insulate what is already warm as stated above. Try

#3134475 - 04/24/12 07:20 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
Thanks guys for the tips!

#3134513 - 04/24/12 07:39 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
How about a fire in a barrel.Just take it off the ice when your done.

Edited by Boco (04/24/12 07:40 PM)

#3135758 - 04/25/12 06:57 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
sheephunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Wyoming
I am a fellow ice fishing addict. I too have had this problem, the only solution is to catch more big fish. Bad picture of me. But this fish is big.

#3135967 - 04/25/12 09:09 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
160user Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
That is a HOG lake trout!

#3136577 - 04/26/12 11:53 AM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Pittu Offline
trapper

Loc: Alaska
Yea, and it looks like sheephunter is an optimist judging by the size of the hole!!! LOL...We used to catch quite a few lakers about that size in Lake Superior jigging in 200-300 feet of water. Man I sure miss that...

#3137510 - 04/27/12 12:23 AM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Nunamiut Offline
trapper

Loc: alaska
Get some hunter's reflex. wink
Also bring enough auger extensions.

Im 6'2" for reference, its just enough to go through the ice. Drilling through that much ice keeps you warm on the colder days.

#3137834 - 04/27/12 11:24 AM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Kusko Offline
"Mr. Mayor"

Loc: Bethel, AK
We could have used another extension this year Ben. We had 5 feet of ice on our river when we were ice fishing 2 weeks ago.

www.alaskafinandfur.com

#3137904 - 04/27/12 12:05 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: fivemiletrapper]
Alaskan Offline
"AMY SUE"

Loc: Gnome, Alaska
Originally Posted By: fivemiletrapper
If you're not producing heat, I think you're dead!!!!!!

Tell that to my wife and her cold arse feet!

Life member: NRA, NTA, AkTA, AkFTA, WiTA, MnTA, MoTA, OrTA

#3138649 - 04/27/12 09:52 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
sheephunter Offline
trapper

Loc: Western Wyoming
You are dead on Pittu, that is very first ice. It was not very good ice, but was building overnight. We had to get off it by mid morning as the wind was starting to blow the open water and the ice was breaking up. When I was working this fish the ice was moving. I finally had to get back about 10 feet from the hole so my buddy could get down there and grab this fish and flip him out. That fish was 42.5 inches long. I figured him at 32 pounds. I fought him for 75 minutes to landing, took a few pictures and put him back. He was healthy and not bleeding. Put him in the hole and he took right off. We don't get the weight and belly of fish that they get on Flaming Gorge, but we catch a lot of really nice lakers. We always compete with British Columbia on iceshanty.com. I didn't catch as many this year becuase I was trappin. I have always dreamed of fishing Great Bear Lake. Like to hear if any of you have.
In all seriousness the best thing I have found to keep your hands warm is a pair of those little sparky Michael Jackson gloves under a big heavy set of wool liners in beaver fur gauntlets. As FT said drop heaters in if you get cold hands. Make sure nothings too tight. Those hands really swell when they get cold, tight gloves will restrict fluid movement, which will freeze them, just like water in a pipe. It doesn't seem like my hands get cold, but my feet are always cold. I have Raynaud's disease from my mother so I have to be really carefull about getting cold.

#3140937 - 04/29/12 07:47 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
Riverman- Offline
trapper

Loc: MN, & nc
The only way I have found to keep my hands warm other than the heat pads is to wear a thin pair of cotton mittens and then a wool pair on top of those. Mine have leather on the outside. They really only lock the heat in, so you must keep them on as to not let the heat escape. My heavy jacket had tight sleeves which helped because I put them over the mittens. The coldest I have ice fished in was only -20 tho. Never seen much colder

#3140952 - 04/29/12 07:55 PM Re: Ice fishing - Cold Hands! [Re: Wolverine Man]
FishinHank Offline
trapper

Loc: PWS, AK
My mittens are super warm. My dad made them from elk hide and canvas. The liners are made from surplus military blankets. He also fitted them with a strap so you can tighten them down after you stick your arms in.