Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar

Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

Alaska Trappers Association

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3132665 - 04/23/12 01:40 PM Fur falling - Is this normal?
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
Hi everyone,

This might be a stupid question & I apologize in advance. Is it normal in long haired furs (coyote, fox, beaver) when pulled with moderate force some fur falls/comes out?

It happens with beaver also when pulled with slightly more force. Is this a sign that the pelt is no longer good/drying out or am I just pulling too hard and being paranoid? I got the beaver pelts from Northern Quebec which I've been told is the best beaver pelts. The coyote pelts are from Montana. All pelts were harvested in the winter season.

Thank you

#3132667 - 04/23/12 01:42 PM Re: Fur falling - Is this normal? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Hupurest Offline
"Andy S wannabe"

Loc: Alaska
I don't see why it wouldn't be.... if someone pulled on your hair at the same force would it come out too?

there is always going to be loose fur that will come out with brushing.

the 'slipping" fur I have seen comes of with an easy wipe, not even a tug.

#3132782 - 04/23/12 03:08 PM Re: Fur falling - Is this normal? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Family Trapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Homer, Alaska
Are these tanned or dried hides.

#3134131 - 04/24/12 02:21 PM Re: Fur falling - Is this normal? [Re: Wolverine Man]
phutch30 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW MT
how much is Some

#3134472 - 04/24/12 07:19 PM Re: Fur falling - Is this normal? [Re: Wolverine Man]
Wolverine Man Offline
trapper

Loc: Canada
Both my beaver and coyote are commercial tanned. The beaver is select quality.

When I pull on the coyote I get 4-5 of the very fine thread like fur (not the coarse fur)

Beaver I get 2-3. The pull is much stronger compared to my coyote. The fact it's considered as best beavers (north eastern) and is select quality I am a little surprised that it does fall

Edited by Wolverine Man (04/24/12 11:11 PM)