Home

Cooking coon?

Posted By: Oddball

Cooking coon? - 10/24/13 07:14 PM

Hello everyone! I was wondering if there is a legitimate concern to refrain from eating coon? I've eaten Muskrat, and beaver, and I LOVED both. But not coon, as people are disease-weary, even my father.. but It kinda grinds my gears to have all of that animal go to waste, besides the pelt. So, I am wondering what if it is actually okay to eat coon, basically..? If so, we've gotten 4 coon so far this year, 3 boars at that, and I would have quite a bit of spare meat, even if I just quartered them & tossed the rest for the coyotes... which I also wouldn't mind eating if it's plausible. :p

Thank you for the help, everyone!
Posted By: 1986

Re: Cooking coon? - 10/25/13 09:53 PM

You want to eat yote? Coon is good when you cook it you cook all the germs and diseases out
Posted By: Mr Hanck

Re: Cooking coon? - 11/26/15 02:43 PM

Coon isn't bad. I've had it many a time and feed it to my family now and then. Take a good look at it before dispatch and after skinning. If it acts normal, and you don't see anything unusual in the meat or liver it should be okay to eat, so long as it's cooked through. I brine it over night and put it through a grinder. Substitute it for beef and no one ever knows the difference. Can't say I've eaten any yotes, they seem a little doggy to me, so I'd have to be starving.
Posted By: Alaska Man 2016

Re: Cooking coon? - 12/03/15 06:32 PM

Any recipes for animals like yote or coon anyone?
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Cooking coon? - 05/07/20 12:06 AM

This is way late but if anyone sees this take your hind quarters season with salt pepper pion powder and garlic powder but it in a dish with beef broth and one packet of brown gravy enough broth to cover mostly and cook till it’s tender and falls off bone when you poke at it it’s delicious with some taters
© 2024 Trapperman Forums