Home

Fish.........pics of planking salmon for Jim

Posted By: tuskettrapperman

Fish.........pics of planking salmon for Jim - 08/15/07 02:12 AM

ok I'm doing a rainbow trout but the proceedure the same.
First butterfly fish

then rub with brown sugar and sprinkle with cracked pepper and nail and wire it

place over hot coal( I used to use spilt wood but hard to keep coals that are not hot) I now use lump coal

make a "hut" and smoke, for salmon I start around 10 am and check peroidicly adding coal or smoke wood and rub more sugar on to make a thicker crust

my daughter checking on it lol

about 45 min before supper(for 4 to 5 pound fish) I crank up the heat and cook it

and the finished product

wild fish are better and my salmon planks are 2x10"s with a stake so when I do 4 I stick them and lean them in and to cook I stick them straight up next to a big fire. On bigger fish I put them head down, tails cook faster; sometimes the tail is done so i either cut it in the middle and eat the tail first while cooking the head or finish in the oven( smell of smoke will go thru the house)
Like I said the karate instructor always asks, well tells me I'm planking salmon right! lo and its the only way my wife will eat salmon!
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 08/15/07 03:17 AM

Thanks a ton tuskettrapperman! I don't have my hands on any whole salmon to butterfly like that, but have plenty of filets that I can do that with. I have never seen it done like that before. I have seen them cooked on cedar planks over an open fire and tented, but not like that.

After you nail them, have you used twine instead of wire to hold them to the plank?

-TJ

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 08/15/07 11:13 AM

I didn't think you see the galvinized nails but you can, do use gal. nails just bright nails washed, gal. is all I had and this was a demo only( didn't eat it). The wire is stainless steel rabbit snare wire. The finished product pic was a real salmon that I cooked.

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 08/15/07 03:37 PM

if anybody tries this let me what you think.
Posted By: Muskydan

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 04/28/08 11:43 AM

how do you butterfly a salmon/trout?
Posted By: Dirt-Hole

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 05/02/08 08:25 PM

looks great
Posted By: gunner87

Re: pics of planking salmon for Jim - 05/08/08 05:30 PM

to butterfly salmon go to youtube.com
© 2024 Trapperman Forums