Home

squirrel.......... recipes

Posted By: Raymond

squirrel.......... recipes - 04/22/07 10:08 PM

got any good squirrel recipes?
Posted By: blaine

Re: squirrel recipes - 05/27/07 04:52 AM

I like to take my squirrels quarter them, then flour,salt and pepper them. Fry in a skillet for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side, the remove for grease. add flour and water to grease to make a thick gravy. once you have a good thick gravy with the lumps worked out, put gravy and squirell in a pot of water and cook at simmer until the meat starts to fall of the bone. Cook a pot of rice, and serve gravy over rice and you got a meal fit for a king. lol also good with rabbit mixed in with the squirrel.
Posted By: NCBEAVERNICK

Re: squirrel recipes - 05/28/07 11:16 PM

Deep fry them..
Posted By: horsepower

Re: squirrel recipes - 05/29/07 02:58 AM

I, being a generally lazy cook, boil them until falling apart, tear the meat off the bones in little pieces and them up a batch of the store bought red beans and rice and add the squirrel meat to it. Works equally well with a muskrat and lets one small animal feed a whole meal or even 2 at my house.
Posted By: animaldamage

Re: squirrel recipes - 06/04/07 01:41 AM

Use hot water to prevent your gravy from becoming lumpy.
Posted By: TOTF

Re: squirrel recipes - 07/26/07 08:27 PM

What's the deal, Ray-did your wife kick you out of the house so you're having to eat squirrel to survive? ;\)
Posted By: ZachAttack

Re: squirrel recipes - 08/09/07 02:19 PM

I just stick them in a pan on the stove add a little grease and fry until they cook then eat with som A1 steak sauce!
Posted By: cjc

Re: squirrel recipes - 08/09/07 11:19 PM

The best for old squirl is to quarter. Fry in pan till crusty. Place in pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Re flour and fry till crunchy. Tast like young squirrell.
Posted By: dnew

Re: squirrel recipes - 08/14/07 05:27 AM

Squirrel Dumplings are great. When I was growing up we had them a lot during season. I think you make them just like chicken dumplings. Daddy always made us dress the head out because he liked the brains.(way too much trouble) We had the young ones fried with bisquits and gravy on Sunday morning. Fine foods from the past.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: squirrel recipes - 08/21/07 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: cjc
The best for old squirl is to quarter. Fry in pan till crusty. Place in pressure cooker for 30 minutes. Re flour and fry till crunchy. Tast like young squirrell.

The presure cooker is the best thing that has ever happened to squirrels and snowshoe hares. I use it all the time. You can make dumplings in the same pan after you take the lid off if you like.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums