Home

Fleshing questions

Posted By: HoosierTrapper07

Fleshing questions - 06/04/23 05:13 PM

I came home from being out of town for a week to find the corner of my upright freezer door had made its way open. A beaver, Coyote, and a couple coons had thawed. I fixed the door and left the coons be. I fleshed the beaver. By the time I got the beaver done the coyote had dried out quite a bit making it impossible to flesh.

Is there anything I can do to rehydrate it enough to flesh?

What's the likely outcome of the coons? They were thawed but still pretty cold.

These are all being kept just as wall hangers. What happens to a pelt that is tanned without being fleshed well enough? I generally have trouble getting heads clean. At what point will a tannery reject a pelt for not being properly fleshed and dried?

Thanks
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing questions - 06/04/23 08:31 PM

If you are getting them tanned,flesh off the fat and any bigger chunks of meat,then salt them and roll them up for 24 hrs,shake off the old salt,scrape them again and re salt.
After a day or two shake off the loose salt,and tack out to dry-no need to turn or anything if sending to tanner.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Fleshing questions - 06/04/23 08:32 PM

With the coyote try laying a damp towel pray on the flesh side of the coyote and roll it up. But need to keep them cool. It shouldn't take a long time to rehydrate.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Fleshing questions - 06/05/23 12:52 AM

If those coons were still cold they are probably fine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums