Home

Pressure washer guys?

Posted By: Griz Trapper

Pressure washer guys? - 11/01/19 02:19 PM

Hi guys I was thinking of getting a pressure washer to flesh hides with and I was wondering about a few things. What PSI do you guys flesh your pelts with and is there a special tip that I would need on the end of the wand?
Thanks Griz
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/02/19 05:41 AM

I wouldn't recommend fleshing this way. It takes the oil out of the skin and devalues your fur.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/02/19 03:00 PM

Be careful so your pressure washer doesn't freeze.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/02/19 06:39 PM

Pressure washing pelts can create a big mess to clean up. If used on thinner pelts, like red fox, it can damage the leather.

If you try pressure washing, be sure to post some pictures. Or better yet a video.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/03/19 11:13 AM

here we go again on pressure washing..... scrap the idea and never look back

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/03/19 12:19 PM

Wow did I open a can of worms here? There's a guy that I live near that has been using one for a few years now and he has no complaints. His coyotes bring just as much everyone else's around here.
Griz
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/04/19 01:09 AM

Gotta agree with wissmiss... looks like the mess it makes isn't worth the trouble.
I'll stick with a beam and fleshing knife - I can control that.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/04/19 03:00 AM

A local trapper did some beaver with his pressure washer.he blew a hole in a couple around the back legs,but after he got the hang of it,his pelts came out nice-looked almost as nice as frost scraped.
He did the pressure washer fleshing in the springtime outdoors.
Posted By: AndrewM

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/04/19 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Griz Trapper
Hi guys I was thinking of getting a pressure washer to flesh hides with and I was wondering about a few things. What PSI do you guys flesh your pelts with and is there a special tip that I would need on the end of the wand?
Thanks Griz

Been there, done that, never trying it again. PM me your address and I'll give you the rotary nozzle. I think my pressure washer is 2500 or 3000 psi. Something like that.

I blew beaver fat all over my yard. It looked like the Texas chainsaw massacre.

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 11/04/19 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewM
Originally Posted by Griz Trapper
Thanks Griz

Been there, done that, never trying it again. PM me your address and I'll give you the rotary nozzle. I think my pressure washer is 2500 or 3000 psi. Something like that.

I blew beaver fat all over my yard. It looked like the Texas chainsaw massacre.

I'm not so sure I want to try it now... I was just trying to save my back, it sucks getting old!
Griz
Posted By: Luke C

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/11/19 12:48 AM

I feel like I can help with this thread a little bit. Im new to trapping and fur handling but I have pressure washed full time, both residentially and commercially, over the past 2.5 years. First off, the psi doesn't really matter. You should be more concerned with the degree of the tip you're using. And I've heard most trappers say to use only the rotating nozzle but I don't own one and didn't use one on the coon I fleshed today. I would recommend not wasting my money on a low psi and electric washer. I'd go ahead and get a good brand Simpson with a Honda as the motor and something like a cat or general pump rated at 3000psi or more. I'd start off using only the 40° tip and make sure you don't get to close or it will cut the pelt. It's also really important to constantly keep that tip moving. One second too long and ,again, you'll tear a hole. Be extra careful around tail, arms, and eyes. Run antifreeze through the chemical injector each time you're done fleshing if it's in the freezing months and at the end of the trapping season put stabilizer in the tank. One more tip, don't flesh any where near building or cars unless you want to be soaping and scrubbing the rest of your day. Let me know if you need help with any more pressure washing questions.
Posted By: BillyTraps

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/11/19 09:53 AM

Posted By: thedude055

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/11/19 08:02 PM

that's impressive
Posted By: lonewolf308

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/27/19 01:42 PM

Coon Creek did a video on it and basically showed it was a waste of time and energy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o1GKJKguJ4
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/27/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by BillyTraps

Good luck if you think you can do that. But It Is impressive.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/27/19 04:07 PM

I wonder what number of beaver over a lifetime that one was for him? That is the first time i have ever seen someone flesh a beaver like that. I will just stick to my slow way because i know for a fact i couldn't even attempt it. First of all i cant keep any knife that sharp.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/27/19 06:00 PM

I'm learning it this year and as a newbie it isn't that bad. Of course I'm a long way from 3 minutes. I mean a LONG way but it is comfortable being able to sit down and do it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pressure washer guys? - 12/28/19 04:29 AM

Fleshing over the knee is not hard to learn at all.You can do otter over your knee also.Thats how the old indian ladies do beaver and otter that are not skinned with a bone.
Learning how to sharpen a knife is the hard part for most people.
That is the same with clean skinning or using a beam-learn the proper way to sharpen or turn your edge on the beam flesher and it is easy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums