Home

goldenseal for planting

Posted By: gryhkl

goldenseal for planting - 03/15/17 10:14 PM

I would like to plant some golden seal root and/or seed this spring. If any of you are willing to sell some, or having any tips on growing it, I would appreciate it. I would only be looking for a pound or two of the root.
I may be interested in other medicinals too.

I plan to retire in a couple years and would like to get a few root gardens growing for me to tend and tinker with.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: goldenseal for planting - 03/20/17 01:48 PM

don'tknow if i have ever heard of goldenseal seed,but someone might sell it.i have been lucky enough to buy 10 raised beds of cultiveted seal from a grower friend that's local..at adult age i know when i transplant it i will need 4 times the space for the roots after digging and breaking them down.i have to wait till after the seeds drop and he gets his all replanted with seed for free and also makes a little money.usually i spend a full day at a hunting friends land in southern pa digging wild for transplants in return he gets a couple day's stay up here hunting outta my wood duck blinds.hope this may help a little and if you have any more questions i'll try to help as much as i can.i have also been transplanting a lot of bloodroot in prepped beds as i feel it will be on par with seal in the near future and reseads itself with a nice crop every 4 yrs.good luck and enjoy.
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: goldenseal for planting - 03/28/17 12:04 PM

gryhkl, I have plenty of goldenseal rootlets to sell. I only ship for fall planting though. I would recommend planting root stock versus seeds. The seeds are very small and I start my seeds in protected boxes to avoid predation from snails, slugs and mice. Then when the plants are 2 years old I transplant them in permanent beds. But if you would like to try some seed I will have them available in July.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 03/29/17 08:06 PM

Thanks, I'll send you a pm next fall ohbuyer II.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/04/17 01:31 AM

That's interesting do you get docked raising cultivated goldenseal like they do ginseng? never heard of anyone doing that but I can see the benefits from doing it that way! keep low life poachers out of your patch!
Posted By: ohbuyer II

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/04/17 11:45 AM

Tony, I raise all my goldenseal in raised beds. Miracle grow all you want and make them as big as you can. Never been docked.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/04/17 01:47 PM

same with bloodroot,i'm doing both.best part is they will reseed themselves.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/05/17 05:49 AM

That's cool do you raise them in a shaded area or full sun and a lattice roof? I need to go dig 5 pounds of rootlets this summer and make a golden seal garden question has it helped mature it faster? and for the effort are the gains their. Although just having a patch that's safe is a big gain all in it self. Luckely there are only a few diggers in my area and im friends with them all. BUT DONT THINK FOR A SECOND THAT WILL STOP THEM FROM DIGGING IN MY SPOTS!!!

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/06/17 07:08 PM

under natural shade for me.i have a mile of abandoned elevated railroad grade that runs through my woods that works great.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/07/17 04:31 PM

You will not get docked on your cultivated golden seal. It is just as desirable as wild.Don't forget to harvest the tops of your seal fellas. You get about a pound of tops for every pound of roots. Last season If I remember right, I paid $6.00 a pound on tops. I think there was a very short time I paid as high as $7.00 a pound on the tops. I usually pay a little more if you sell me a 100 pounds of tops or roots at a time.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/08/17 01:59 PM

Don,get excited when i start to see the wildcrafting forum active again.ever wanna visit Northcentral PA please let me know.i'd feel priveledged to put you up and show you around.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 04/10/17 02:43 AM

wow guys thanks this almost gets me excited to start fooling with roots again my old buyer has pass away. So im going to have to find a new buyer. My favorite root to dig is seal. Its got to the point I am ashamed to dig seng! It has enough threats without adding me to the mix. But I do still enjoy finding it and planting the berries
Posted By: tom ohio

Re: goldenseal for planting - 06/24/17 04:47 PM

Ohbuyer sent you a pm interested in planting stock

Re: goldenseal for planting - 08/28/17 10:11 AM

I'd still like to buy a couple pounds of goldenseal root suitable for planting.
Ohiobuyer, I sent a PM.
Posted By: grandpasnake

Re: goldenseal for planting - 02/20/18 09:18 PM

Is goldenseal and yellow root the same thing?

Re: goldenseal for planting - 02/23/18 01:40 AM

I believe some people do call it yellow root. do you dig the root?
Posted By: grandpasnake

Re: goldenseal for planting - 02/23/18 02:13 PM

I sell just the tops.

Re: goldenseal for planting - 10/14/18 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: gryhkl
I'd still like to buy a couple pounds of goldenseal root suitable for planting.
Ohiobuyer, I sent a PM.

I know it's late but would still like to buy a pound or two of roots to plant

Re: goldenseal for planting - 03/26/19 05:38 PM

ttt
Posted By: brhmidwest

Re: goldenseal for planting - 06/11/19 02:37 PM

Are you still looking for fresh root to plant?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums