Home

Hedge

Posted By: Larry Baer

Hedge - 02/17/17 07:54 PM

Any tips on splitting this for posts? Arms are getting tired.

Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Hedge - 02/20/17 08:07 PM

Makin' fence posts? Is that Osage orange?

Re: Hedge - 02/21/17 02:23 PM

Yes to both. So far I cut 51 posts out of the tree in the picture. I have probably 50 big hedge trees like this one and I want to sell some posts but am wondering if there is a batter way to split the wood. It takes me all day to split 12 posts using wedges and a maul. I tried a chainsaw and it helps to saw into the small end of the log to start the split but the wood is so stringy that sometimes it takes 10 different wedges to get the wood apart far enough apart to get the saw blade in it to cut the stringy stuff apart. I thought about putting a chain on one side chaining it to the stump and another chain on the other side to my tractor but had visions of a big springy piece of wood flying through the air... Sometimes the steel wedges will pop out of the crack and go about 12 feet in the air.
Looking for some advice. Thanks

Posted By: hillbillyjake

Re: Hedge - 02/22/17 12:37 AM

Ripping chain on a saw? I have know idea if that would work. Just a thought.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Hedge - 02/22/17 05:56 AM

All the posts I've split have been white oak. Don't know a thing about Osage orange other than it makes good bows and is tough. It doesn't grow here that I know of. I do know that in oak a sawn post doesn't hold up as well as a split one. Dunno what would make the splitting easier.

Didn't know Osage grew that big, either

Re: Hedge - 02/22/17 02:57 PM

I don't know- I could try a ripper. I'll check it out.Thanks.

Hedge gets huge. This tree had three good logs going three different ways. I was able to cut three 9' logs out of each good log and split those plus I have the top of the tree to cut up still. I have one 50' tree not to far from this one that is on good long straight log like an oak tree. Most are nasty short trees that have twisted up limbs but when they grow in timber sometimes they grow straight.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Hedge - 02/23/17 12:39 PM

larry, I wished I could be more help to ya. my dad did it about the same way your doin it.....with sledge and wedge. the smaller ones he just cut to length. I hated having to mess with it......that sap seemed to get all over me....lol. but man did it burn hot! when we put some of that hedge in the woodburner ,wow!

Re: Hedge - 02/24/17 07:42 PM

Yeah that sap is pretty sticky. I let it dry two years before I put it my furnace. Thanks guys
Posted By: DV IN MN

Re: Hedge - 03/02/17 02:07 AM

how much would you be selling the fence post for? Do you know a Kevin Baer?

Re: Hedge - 03/02/17 01:45 PM

This I what I think I can get in my area;

Line Post up to 4’’ on big end $5
Medium Post up to 8’’ on big end $10.00
Corner post up to 12’’ on big end $15.00
Big corner post up to 16’’ on big end $20.00
Giant Corner Post $25.00

I have five ''bins'' and am going to put something in the Farm Bureau paper this summer when I get done building a new fence. I cut them most of the winter but only on weekends so I'm not a high production producer by any means. It's something to do in the off season.

I do not know Kevin Baer off the top of my head but I have lots of relatives all over the country so it could be possible we are related and don't know each other.
Posted By: DV IN MN

Re: Hedge - 03/03/17 01:36 AM

Larry,

Well a straight grain, mostly knot free, 70 in quarter piece could bring as much as $50 or more in the primitive bow market.
Posted By: Five Points John

Re: Hedge - 03/03/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Larry Baer
Yes to both. So far I cut 51 posts out of the tree in the picture. I have probably 50 big hedge trees like this one and I want to sell some posts but am wondering if there is a batter way to split the wood. It takes me all day to split 12 posts using wedges and a maul. I tried a chainsaw and it helps to saw into the small end of the log to start the split but the wood is so stringy that sometimes it takes 10 different wedges to get the wood apart far enough apart to get the saw blade in it to cut the stringy stuff apart. I thought about putting a chain on one side chaining it to the stump and another chain on the other side to my tractor but had visions of a big springy piece of wood flying through the air... Sometimes the steel wedges will pop out of the crack and go about 12 feet in the air.
Looking for some advice. Thanks

I've split locust with a wedge and sledge. That was bad enough. I couldn't imagine Hedge apple. I was thinking DYNOMITE or LIGHTENING! John

Re: Hedge - 03/03/17 01:33 PM

I'll have to keep that in mind if i find a super nice straight one.

Most of it isn't too bad but sometimes you get one with twisty grain that won't let go of itself.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Hedge - 04/05/17 06:28 AM

larry we always split them while they were froze makes them split a whole lot easier not easy but easier and we always used a hydraulic wood splitter the ones that stand upright put the big end in the splitter and use a post axe to do the rest lol I don't envy you no way!!
Posted By: AKG

Re: Hedge - 04/10/17 10:12 PM

Father in law has used pallet forks on front end loader to split logs, wasn't for something as tough as hedge though.
Posted By: ozarkhunter

Re: Hedge - 07/27/17 09:31 PM

Smaller pieces of osage are great for game calls, knife handles and other "bushcrafty" type things. I do a lot of wood turning and use a good bit myself.
Posted By: pappy t

Re: Hedge - 07/30/17 11:34 AM

You might try this on future logs. I have an uncle who used to be a logger tell me about blasting logs open with black powder. He said it worked like a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vODXyUmkEoo
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Hedge - 08/03/17 05:42 AM

Maybe a motorized log splitter? My uncle made one for my grandpa years ago.

Re: Hedge - 08/10/17 08:31 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I will be back at it again when it cools off some
Posted By: K52

Re: Hedge - 08/17/17 12:27 PM

We have hedge all over around here. Lots of hedge fence and corner posts in this area but I've never seen or used a hedge post that was split. Smaller diameter used for line posts and bigger diameter for corner posts just cut for length.

I always thought if a guy could figure out a use to market the sap for he could get rich. I know my bibs that I cut hedge in would wear like iron where you had sap on the fabric. Still can't figure out how squirrels can chomp thru a hedge ball to get the nut, it's a wonder that their jaws don't seize up getting thru that gummy mess.
Posted By: Hal Aggers

Re: Hedge - 08/18/17 03:03 PM

If you can wait tell cold weather like someone else said is much better. To split you need lots of wedges start with smaller wedges with a narrow taper. Start putting them 6 to 8 in. apart when it starts coming apart use larger wedges at the end and keep going down the log changing the smaller wedges out for bigger ones. Any posts that have limbs will not work. You need posts that are as straight as you can find. I hope this helps.
Posted By: Camohoyt340

Re: Hedge - 09/04/17 02:13 AM

Just saw this. I split plenty of locust posts in the past. I've been doing it since I was 11 or 12. We don't have any Hedge growing around here. I used to get $3 per post. 6' long. I would look at the tree and try to figure out where it's gonna split. I have a small wedge that I use to start the split from the end, Then pound in another wedge down through the log. I have a 3rd wedge if needed. Usually needed 3 wedges to split the log at first. Then it was 1 wedge and hit it with the go devil. I've sold close to 1000 posts in a year before. IMO it's a good workout and puts money in my pocket. Plus it's kinda fun. Good luck.
Posted By: POC

Re: Hedge - 09/25/17 01:23 AM

I split some Sassafras for split rail fence, that was hard enough. I can't imagine Osage.

I did read where a guy was using the fruit for something, I think it was medicinal, but can't remember exactly.
Posted By: chansen

Re: Hedge - 10/04/17 05:15 PM

This is a great wood to work with. It's worth more to a wood worker, than a post. No post NO
© 2024 Trapperman Forums