Home

Morels

Posted By: Smfw

Morels - 03/15/16 01:43 AM

Going to take a look this weekend. I think it might be early for around here but it's worth a shot! Has anyone else been out?
Posted By: imiller

Re: Morels - 03/16/16 01:37 AM

still got a while here
Posted By: countrygun

Re: Morels - 03/17/16 11:19 PM

Just got the rain they will be up here next week if not tomorrow
Posted By: 080808

Re: Morels - 03/18/16 07:34 PM

Nothing here yet. Easter is usually a good time. When the sap quits flowing.
Posted By: kickingbird

Re: Morels - 03/20/16 01:37 PM

Ground temps are higher than average by 16 deg. this year in sothern Il ,might be early this year?
Posted By: jim pearson

Re: Morels - 03/29/16 05:41 PM

Lets keep this post going as the morels start to pop. Would like to follow south to up north.
Posted By: countrygun

Re: Morels - 04/03/16 11:54 PM

very few and far between this year here, 40 acres that produced 5lbs dried last year barely a meal this year, thinking the massive flooding we had last year has knocked them back this year.
Posted By: oldky

Re: Morels - 04/04/16 11:56 AM

Coming on good in southern Indiana and western kentucky

Re: Morels - 04/06/16 09:05 PM

found a few about an inch tall here today. just checked one spot to see if they were growin yet.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Morels - 04/23/16 02:43 PM

I found 2 old black morels yesterday. We finally had some rain, so more should be popping.

Keith
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Morels - 04/26/16 05:23 AM

I have been out at least 6 times in my prime spots, and have only found a handful of the little buggers. Ain't gonna be none in the places I hunt, even though some people say they are finding lots of them
Posted By: jim pearson

Re: Morels - 04/27/16 10:31 PM

Everything else is coming up here in the woods, wrens are back,lilacs in my yard are starting to bloom. Rain has been missing us...very dry here. Not 1 little grey yet.
Posted By: trapperroscoe

Re: Morels - 05/13/16 01:34 PM

how do you dry morel mushrooms
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Morels - 05/13/16 01:50 PM

Clean and cut in half, lay on a screen and place another screen over top. Place in sun until completely dry. Store in air tight container. When ready to use rehydrate in clean water for 2 to 4 minutes and use. You can also dry with a dehydrated if you have one. Storage container must mlbe air tight or they will soak up moisture from air and mold. I use double zipper food bags to store them. Can be stores in cupboard or freezer. I learned this from my grandparents who a long gone now but we used to eat mushrooms year round.
Posted By: KermitTheHermit

Re: Morels - 05/13/16 02:41 PM

I cut them in half and string them with needle and thread and hang up in the house. dehydrator works too. I can most of mine if I get surplus.

Best mess this year was 40, probably picked less than 100 in total. Heard of other guys who were picking 8-10 lbs but they sure weren't up good in my woods; and they are good woods too. A couple few years ago I was picking 6-8 lbs per day. Went out 2 days ago and didn't find a single one.

Re: Morels - 05/14/16 03:05 PM

dont worry kermit, it was hard goin here too
© 2024 Trapperman Forums