Home

The Reason We Dig!!!

Posted By: jasonpredhunter

The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/12/14 10:37 PM

I've been hunting 'seng about 30 years now, and found three big 4 prongs today that reminded me why I climb up and down these steep mountains all the time. I was crossing a holler and going to the next ridge on a steep mountain and had to go through a laurel thicket I would have never imagined there being in ginseng in. It got so thick I had to crawl and just happened to look up and see a big pod of red berries staring at me about 10 yards away. I really had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but after crawling over to them, I ended up finding these three big 4 prongers. After counting the stem scars, all are about 25-28 years old. I've found a few roots in the past as big as these, but never within 3 feet of each other. It was one of those moments I just had to sit there and admire them for 30 minutes before I ever broke soil. I've dug that mountain all my life(since I was 6 years old with my dad) and we've never thought to look in those laurels. I didn't bring home a lot of 'seng today, but the one's that I did I will remember forever. These are trophies for sure! Hope you enjoy the pics and good luck the rest of the season!! My season was made today!!

Posted By: Ms.Miss

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/12/14 11:15 PM

Those are some beauties, and hopefully ya find many more. Good luck digging
Posted By: Jeff

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/12/14 11:28 PM

Found a few like that in my life time also...the biggest being below a steep old logging trail in a thicket...the berries looked like a apple.

Great find! wink
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/12/14 11:59 PM

Great looking plants. Always nice to find the big ones. Those are getting harder to find than they used to be. I hope you find a big patch of the sane size plants.
Posted By: snare1

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/13/14 12:38 AM

lotsa light kills sang , that's why they were there ,nice work.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/13/14 12:36 PM

very nice!!!!!!
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/15/14 01:41 AM

Very nice!! I like crawling through raspberry patches around here. Thats where those big brutes can be found.
Posted By: Ms.Miss

Re: The Reason We Dig!!! - 09/22/14 01:50 AM

These are a couple 4 prongers I found today. My biggest root so far!!! Couldnt believe how big the zomes are...as big as my thumb lol It was a good day !! No so much quanity, but quality was great.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums