Home

ginseng planting depth

Posted By: kickingbird

ginseng planting depth - 09/11/14 12:23 AM

Was reading on an old site where planting ripe seeds have a 80% germination rate at 3/4 to 1 inch depth. What about stratified seed?
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/12/14 04:47 AM

I think 1/4 to 1/2 is better. You get leaf litter on the ground that rots and you can get 2 seasons worth if the seeds are not stratified. You plant them to deep and they will never get to the top.
Posted By: Jeff

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/12/14 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
I think 1/4 to 1/2 is better. You get leaf litter on the ground that rots and you can get 2 seasons worth if the seeds are not stratified. You plant them to deep and they will never get to the top.

X2
Posted By: randy r

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/13/14 01:23 AM

I added a bunch of peatmoss to the dirt in my new patch.Has any one tried this before?The soil is poor and its under pine trees.

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/13/14 05:30 AM

Pine trees are ok to grow seng under or at least white pine is the best and I have found it under other pine as well.
Posted By: randy r

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/13/14 12:19 PM

Thats the reason I chose the white pine trees.I just wondered if the peatmoss would help it or hurt its growth.Its a patch just to look at and get berries off the plants.

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/14/14 05:13 AM

As long as you don't have to much peat. To much would not be good.
Posted By: Dave Plueger

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/15/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Pine trees are ok to grow seng under or at least white pine is the best and I have found it under other pine as well.

Don, do you remember an article in an old T&PC mag from the late 70s? It talked about growing 'seng under white pine and some enzyme released by white pine needles that accelerated root growth or something like that.

I know I've grown 'seng under white pine with real good results.

I've had the most success by broadcast seeding right before the trees drop leaves. Planting 'seng seed too deep is a common mistake.
Posted By: oldbiker

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/16/14 10:57 PM

Planting 'seng seed too deep is a common mistake.

it a relief to hear that!! I been planting 1/2" deep for lots of years. This is the first year I bought seeds and did the same with them

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/17/14 05:27 AM

Dave I don't remember the article . My information comes from my own experience with seng under pines.
Posted By: stickbowhunter

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/28/14 11:52 PM

Don in pots near the house will that work for a few plants? Planters boxes on porch will that work also? I been doing all mine in the woods but would like a few nearer home.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/29/14 01:21 AM

Dont mean to jump in the way . but it will work Stickbow if you try to keep them out of the hot sun , and make shure you have alot of deep dirt because planters dry out quick.

Re: ginseng planting depth - 09/29/14 05:00 AM

I have grown Ginseng in wooden boxes. Not to hard to do/
Posted By: stickbowhunter

Re: ginseng planting depth - 10/01/14 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: logger coffey
Dont mean to jump in the way . but it will work Stickbow if you try to keep them out of the hot sun , and make shure you have alot of deep dirt because planters dry out quick.

No problem, I know Don and was Just asking him to get a response , thanks for your reply.
Posted By: shepherd0610

Re: ginseng planting depth - 02/11/15 09:05 AM

will ginseng grow in colorado or is it too dry.
i have 40 acres on south facing mountain slope. so is mossy and lots of aspen trees.
elevation is 7500ft

I would love to plant whole 40 acres.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums