Home

Sassafras Leaf

Posted By: kradd

Sassafras Leaf - 06/24/14 06:27 PM

I am buying Sassafras leaf (wet and dry). The material must have low stem content.

Wet price: $0.50/lb
Dry price: $1.50/lb to $1.75/lb (depending on quality)

The prices will fluctuate throughout the season.

We are located in MO. If anyone is interested, please feel free to send a PM.

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/03/14 03:43 AM

Dry price has increased: $2/lb
Posted By: PopPop

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/05/14 10:50 AM

How stem is required on leaf. How do you go about drying the leaves.
Thanks
Joe

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/07/14 04:54 PM

Joe,

The stem content must be very low. Most people put the leaves on a tarp in the sun and flip the material every few hours. With a nice breeze, the leaves dry fairly quickly. Other wildcrafters prefer to put the leaves on tarps (in the shade) and let the breeze do the drying.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/07/14 10:10 PM

The key word here is flip or turn the leaves a few times a day. I have handles as much as 500 pounds of green leaves at a time and if you don't work them, they will sour on you. They can be dried in attics , but you must keep fans circulating the air and you still must turn the leaves.
Another good thing to remember is, keep your daily pick separate from a couple days before pick if possible. Leaves can be a real pain in the rear if you pick enough to make money. My best picking came from a place that several big trees had been dropped. Leaves are easy to get like that. I bought a lot of leaves that came from fellas that got the leaves from places that the trees had been cut.

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/08/14 03:01 AM

That's good advice. Many times pullers can go in after crews have trimmed power lines and get large amounts.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sassafras Leaf - 07/08/14 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
The key word here is flip or turn the leaves a few times a day. I have handles as much as 500 pounds of green leaves at a time and if you don't work them, they will sour on you. They can be dried in attics , but you must keep fans circulating the air and you still must turn the leaves.
Another good thing to remember is, keep your daily pick separate from a couple days before pick if possible. Leaves can be a real pain in the rear if you pick enough to make money. My best picking came from a place that several big trees had been dropped. Leaves are easy to get like that. I bought a lot of leaves that came from fellas that got the leaves from places that the trees had been cut.

great share Don!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums