Home

Ginseng basics??

Posted By: Tim trapper

Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 10:24 AM

Hey boys-- first post over here in wildcrafting... I usually just stick with trapping.
I've dug a handful of ginseng and I have a few questions.

Do I wash the ginseng root or just brush it off?
Can I freeze the roots until I get a little more then dry it all at once?

Thank you
Tim B
Posted By: Ms.Miss

Re: Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 01:03 PM

i wash it with a soft toothbrush, but dont scrub, a lil soil left in rings is better than making it clean. and be careful not to damage or break off hair roots. i would dry what you have and store in container in cool place. i dont think i'd freeze it though.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 01:10 PM

tim, your better to dry it. just like miss said,,,a gentle wash is what ya want to do.

also check with your laws, i'm not sure how long you can hold ginseng in Missouri without a dealers permit.

here in Illinois all wild ginseng must be sold my march 31st
Posted By: Tim trapper

Re: Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 03:25 PM

Thank you both- I appreciate the info!
Tim B
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 08:56 PM

Important! Do NOT WASH GINSENG WITH ANY KIND OF A BRUSH. Best way in the world to get your root down graded. The buyers want some dirt left on the seng. your roots should dry to a golden brown and have dirt in the little rings that go around the root. Best way to wash your seng ios to put it in a bucket and spray the seng with a hose. Do not spray it to long. Just enough to get the big hunks of mud off of the roots. I have bought and sold thousands of pounds of seng in my life and over washing seng is a big sin. The Chinese don't want white clean wild seng.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Ginseng basics?? - 10/20/13 08:58 PM

Diggers in Missouri can get their seng certified to sell out of state. I bought several pounds that had certification papers last year .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums