Home

Chaga

Posted By: nightlife

Chaga - 09/06/13 02:19 AM

the thread on the trapper talk got me wondering if anyone buys this as I know of any number of places where its a common thing, and if so how its harvested and processed.

Thanks for any information
Posted By: waggler

Re: Chaga - 09/13/13 02:31 PM

It's an ugly, conk type of fungus that grows on birch trees. My Russian friends grind it up and make a tea out of it.
There is a mushroom book titled "All that the rain promises and more" it primarily deals with Pacific Northwest and Alaska mushrooms, this book has a good description of the conk and it's use.
Posted By: bglong

Re: Chaga - 09/16/13 11:26 AM

Check on ebay. It is always for sale on there.
Posted By: SkunkWrestler

Re: Chaga - 02/08/14 03:05 AM

Doesn't seem to be worth very much on ebay, about $10/lb. At that price I'd just as soon keep it for myself.

I can't find the topic off Trapper Talk but I imagine its cancer curing/preventing properties were discussed. It also tops the chart in antioxidants, and it can be burnt as an incense to relieve headaches as well.

As a tea, I find it has a very mild flavor. I've known some people who mix it with their coffee or add birch syrup to it (which I'm sure has a host of other health benefits as well, as most parts of the birch tree do). I am probably going to try to mix it with either blackberry leaf tea or dried blackberries, which are similarly both high in antioxidants and can relieve pain.
Posted By: pick65

Re: Chaga - 02/10/14 05:53 AM

try this link for prices and drying info

sites.google.com/site/highpricespaidforginseng

pick65

Re: Chaga - 02/12/14 02:20 AM

I didn't see Chaga on that site, maybe I was looking in the wrong place but didn't seem to have a section on chaga.
Posted By: madminker

Re: Chaga - 02/16/14 05:03 PM

What is the best way to grind it?

Re: Chaga - 02/16/14 10:13 PM

I cut it into smaller chunks with a hatchet or large knife, then grind it in a blender. You can screw a mason jar onto the grinder base and then store it in the jar.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Chaga - 02/17/14 05:34 PM

I use my surfoam (sp?) rasp on it. Works like a charm and doesn't beat the daylights out of my old sunbeam blender!
Posted By: brocky 100

Re: Chaga - 04/07/14 03:31 PM

I just use a wood rasp and get the outer black layer off and then cut it in chunks. Then steep it in a pot until you have a dark liquied thats your tea. Take out the chunks let them dry and you can use over again. I used the same chunks 10-15 times
© 2024 Trapperman Forums